Seriously hating cardio :/

Options
hi everyone, over the last few weeks I've began struggling to do any form of cardio, I seem to have lost will power. I used to really enjoy it :/ I have began lifting weights lately, can I just lose weight/fat with just this?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Primarily, you need a calorie deficit to lose weight
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    In short yes. You can lose weight from just lifting weight provided you're in a calorie deficit. Cardio does have it's benefits i.e cardiovascular health. And it's worth noting this can be achieved through HIIT cardio too. Running on a treadmill or using any cardio machine for hours on end is simply unnecessary IMO. Also, hope you get your mojo back real soon.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-lose-fat/

Best damn site I have ever discovered!
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is the sure fire way to lose weight. Working out creates a bigger deficit but isn't necessary to lose weight.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes, you can lose considerable amounts of fat through weight training IF, you train with high intensity; you optimize your food intake.

1 pound of muscle burns an additional 40 calories per day. So if you gain 5 lbs of muscle, you are burning an extra 200 cals a day.

Keep in mind that even an optimal weight training program, you as a female, will gain about 1 lb of muscle per month. Not big gains for females, but keep at it and 1 lb can easily become 5 lbs, etc.

I do 20 min of cardio before weights bc I like to warm up. You could maybe try short cardio before lifting?

I recommend you do New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. It's an amazing program that many women have been following with really good results. Hiring a good personal trainer is also another option if you can afford it.

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women
  • natalie1713
    natalie1713 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    yes I've lost 2 and a half stone so far after having my son, I eat 1,400 calories twice a week and 1,000 the rest. for the last 2 years I've loved cardio, I dunno I think maybe since ive started lifting weight I found that way more enjoyable and say results ALOT more quickly now I find my brain getting bored before my body lol. will check out that website though as I did like things like HIIT I used it as a bit of break from the craziness of family life haha.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yup you can... my only form of "cardio" right now (not counting the odd walk here and there) is breastfeeding hehe ;)
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    yes I've lost 2 and a half stone so far after having my son, I eat 1,400 calories twice a week and 1,000 the rest. for the last 2 years I've loved cardio, I dunno I think maybe since ive started lifting weight I found that way more enjoyable and say results ALOT more quickly now I find my brain getting bored before my body lol. will check out that website though as I did like things like HIIT I used it as a bit of break from the craziness of family life haha.

Why 1000 cals on the other 5 days? That's simply not enough food. How many cals does mfp recommend you eat?
  • natalie1713
    Options
    thank you for the websites definitely know about the calorie deficit, I tried a lot of fad diets before I came to that conclusion. but weirdly I went vegan for a couple months and was still eating within my calorie limit and lost nothing. now I eat high protein low carb cause since I started that I haven't craved crap
  • natalie1713
    Options
    it recommends 1,450. but unless I am making meals with dessert which is twice a week I find it really hard to eat that much plus quite often I just don't really feel like eating always too much to be getting on with.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    it recommends 1,450. but unless I am making meals with dessert which is twice a week I find it really hard to eat that much plus quite often I just don't really feel like eating always too much to be getting on with.
    Very often, this is a clue that you're not tracking accurately. Are you using a food scale for all solids and measuring cups/spoons for all liquids?

• natalie1713
    Options
    no I tend to look up each ingredient if using cups as I know ingredient vary, but I tend to convert recipes into grams.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    hi everyone, over the last few weeks I've began struggling to do any form of cardio, I seem to have lost will power. I used to really enjoy it :/ I have began lifting weights lately, can I just lose weight/fat with just this?
    I eat 1,400 calories twice a week and 1,000 the rest. .

You've lost your willpower because you're hungry. You gotta eat more than this!

• natalie1713
    Options
    probably had a stressful few weeks and have gone off food lately, will try and get it back on track
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    When you say "cardio" what do you mean? There are hundreds of activities that qualify as "cardio". If you are bored with what you've been doing why not just try something else.

Cardio certainly isn't necessary for weight loss but your heart will thank you for doing it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I eat 1,400 calories twice a week and 1,000 the rest. .

You've lost your willpower because you're hungry. You gotta eat more than this!

I would tend to agree with this!
  • natalie1713
    Options
    well I tend to do hiit workouts, or things along them lines. by cardio I just mean intensive stuff. I tend to walk between 3 and 5 miles a day usually aswell ( well according to my fitbit)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're eating anywhere close to as little as you say, no wonder you hit a wall with cardio. Cardio requires you to be properly fuelled and soon so will life n general. Get a food scale, log accurately, eat enough and you'll probably refind your enjoyment of cardio with the added bonus of not heading for a burn out binge.