Gym stares ?

Options
13»

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So, I didn't read everything, but if I see someone standing at a machine reading how to use it and they are taking a long time, I usually ask them if they need help. Maybe, the people looking at you are trying to work up their courage to ask if you need help.

If someone was looking at me, I'd ask if they knew how to use the machine in question and would be willing to help me. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
  • sammispatz92
    sammispatz92 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had the same gym fears when I started lifting weights. I watched a LOT of youtube videos to see how the machines work so I had an idea going in. That being said, the machines at your gym are likely a little bit different. See if you can find a friend who lifts that can show you or usually the trainers at the gym give one free session
  • spiritedmis
    spiritedmis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I blow kisses at people. Much nicer than flipping the bird. ;) Sorry you have to deal with meanies.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am being paranoid sometimes they point and giggle to their buddies. It's always the dudes . Maybe I should just buy a weight bar to use at home .

Why are you working out? Are you going to better yourself? or Are you going to get attention? IF you're going for yourself who cares what they think.

We always play the worse card in our mind. We really have no clue what they're thinking.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I guarantee it's all in your head. You are allowing your own insecurities get to you. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing or looking at. Just do what you need to do. I am physically disabled and I don't even get stared at in the gym. I get stared at plenty when I'm out shopping, but never have at the gym. People really aren't that interested in what you are doing. You just think they are.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    And I just wanted to add that if you are being watched by the people in the free weights section in particular I've noticed those people take lots of breaks in between their sets or they have to rest while waiting for their turns so they can't really help watching. I do mostly cardio because I find it more enjoyable and I like to watch the watchers. lol.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    most gyms will have an orientation program that is designed to assist newbies get familiar with the equipment, after all they don't want someone to hurt themselves by using the equipment incorrectly. So.. stop at the counter to inquire about this. It is natural to be a little self conscious and even to imagine people are laughing at your expense... F-them... YOU are there for you... and for the most part when people are looking at you at a gym... it's just a small distraction that they don't commit to memory. YOU will learn to focus on your work as you progress.it is just part of the new environment you find yourself in.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    attempting to do squats on top of a stability ball with a barbell

Channeling my inner McEnroe here: "You cannot be serious!"
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I'll probably need to approach them next time.

Approach them because they are looking at you?
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'll bet their conversation goes something like this:
    Hey bro, your form looks like crap and that chick (pointing at you) over there is lifting more than your weak @ss (laughs).
    (Other dude- still looking at you) Eff you brochacho, I bench way more than you (smiling and giggling).

Still, if it really bothers you and you see them pointing and laughing again, maybe you should ask them if they need to use that machine or something. Breaks the spell of their little bromance and makes them realize they were noticeably staring and pointing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »

stability-ball-barbell-squat_zps36a75b62.jpg

Serious.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I'll probably need to approach them next time.

Approach them because they are looking at you?

It's the same couple of people a few people recommended approaching and asking for help if I'm struggling. Show initiative etc I'm probably just being super sensitive and I need to suck it up. :)
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I appreciate it :)
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    People only notice you when you practice poor gym etiquette such as not wiping down machines after use or not putting weights away. Everyone looks gross when they workout and no one likes to be stared at, so they won't do it to you.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Carnhot wrote: »

stability-ball-barbell-squat_zps36a75b62.jpg

Serious.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Deserving of a Darwin award!
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Sounds silly but I am super new to lifting weight and it looks like it . Takes me a while to read the machine instructions and adjust etc. I get self conscious because I get a lot of stares and I have lost a lot of weight but the stares make me feel like how I felt really over weight doing cardio . I don't want to get discouraged any pointers on how to get over it.

Actually, this is exactly why I don't lift. I know exactly how you feel. It took me forever to even step into a gym I was so afraid of stares.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone point and laugh at anyone in the gym and most of the time when you think people are staring at you they are not.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am being paranoid sometimes they point and giggle to their buddies.

These guys are idiots and should spend more time lifting than worrying about what others are doing. Basically, you seem to be more serious and dedicated than they are.