Do you ever...or am I CRAZY

Options
124»

Replies

• smmorri
    smmorri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    brushing your teeth so you dont eat, is a trick that anorexics use.... When I was in treatment, we were taught that, that is VERY disordered behavior.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The whole eat back calories confuses me. Why burn them to eat them back? I try not to do that.

I will never understand why people do this.

People trust this highly successful website with many highly successful members to tell them how much they should eat, how their macros should look, the calorie count of almost every food out there, but when it tells you to eat back your exercise calories, ppffttt, it's a conspiracy to make me gain weight!

THIS!
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The whole eat back calories confuses me. Why burn them to eat them back? I try not to do that.

People trust this highly successful website with many highly successful members to tell them how much they should eat, how their macros should look, the calorie count of almost every food out there, but when it tells you to eat back your exercise calories, ppffttt, it's a conspiracy to make me gain weight!

Exactly!!

Wait...in one post you correctly advocate eating back most of your exercise calories....then you agree with this post. I'm confused.

She was being sarcastic - she agrees you should be eating back most of your exercise calories.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Once again...you calorie GOAL has a weight loss deficit built in...it is NET of exercise as this is a NEAT method calculator. When you set up your activity level you are NOT supposed to include exercise calories with a NEAT method calculator...thus, exercise becomes extra activity to be fueled. If you exercise your *kitten* off you're making an already substantial deficit even bigger which can lead to other problems down the road.

You need to understand the tool you are using...do you drive screws with a hammer? Of course not..you wouldn't be utilizing that tool properly would you...same goes here...basically you do not understand this tool and likely you do not understand the science of thermodynamics at all. Here's how it breaks down as simple as I can make it....

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), TEF (Thermic Effect of Food, and EAT (Exercise Activity Thermogenesis).

BMR + NEAT + TEF + EAT = TDEE...where your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. With MFP, they leave your EAT out of the equation....

So you have BMR + NEAT + TEF - X calories for weight loss = MFP calorie GOAL. MFP excludes EAT because if you're new to exercise you're likely inconsistent...and that's ok because with MFP you aren't punished by not exercising...you just eat to that calorie goal and you lose weight.

Now...when you exercise you're adding a whole other aspect into the equation...your EAT...it is unaccounted for with your MFP goal...You have to eat your EAT back with MFP to avoid too large a calorie deficit. This will also teach you how to properly fuel your training activities when you get to maintenance. You don't just workout for calorie burn...everyone starts out that way, but ultimately, those that are serious and really make a lifestyle out of fitness end up having independent fitness goals...and those goals require fuel...you don't do Ironman or Marathon, etc without properly fueling your engine.

It's a shame you wasted all that time writing when she was being sarcastic to begin with. Yikes.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Just because other people agree doesn't mean you aren't crazy. Eat back at least some of your exercise calories. All of you. :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Once again...you calorie GOAL has a weight loss deficit built in...it is NET of exercise as this is a NEAT method calculator. When you set up your activity level you are NOT supposed to include exercise calories with a NEAT method calculator...thus, exercise becomes extra activity to be fueled. If you exercise your *kitten* off you're making an already substantial deficit even bigger which can lead to other problems down the road.

You need to understand the tool you are using...do you drive screws with a hammer? Of course not..you wouldn't be utilizing that tool properly would you...same goes here...basically you do not understand this tool and likely you do not understand the science of thermodynamics at all. Here's how it breaks down as simple as I can make it....

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), TEF (Thermic Effect of Food, and EAT (Exercise Activity Thermogenesis).

BMR + NEAT + TEF + EAT = TDEE...where your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. With MFP, they leave your EAT out of the equation....

So you have BMR + NEAT + TEF - X calories for weight loss = MFP calorie GOAL. MFP excludes EAT because if you're new to exercise you're likely inconsistent...and that's ok because with MFP you aren't punished by not exercising...you just eat to that calorie goal and you lose weight.

Now...when you exercise you're adding a whole other aspect into the equation...your EAT...it is unaccounted for with your MFP goal...You have to eat your EAT back with MFP to avoid too large a calorie deficit. This will also teach you how to properly fuel your training activities when you get to maintenance. You don't just workout for calorie burn...everyone starts out that way, but ultimately, those that are serious and really make a lifestyle out of fitness end up having independent fitness goals...and those goals require fuel...you don't do Ironman or Marathon, etc without properly fueling your engine.

It's a shame you wasted all that time writing when she was being sarcastic to begin with. Yikes.

Hard to tell when it's sarcasm when there are so many ladies here who think exactly that way. Hopefully someone else will benefit....yikes yourself.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Ok, riddle me this Batman.... I used MFP to set my daily calorie goal, I did use sedentary when maybe I should have done lightly active, but it was a difference of about 200 cal a day. It gave me a daily goal of 1200. This worked for two weeks, then nothing...so I ate less, thinking that would work...whoa, hair started falling out, and lost nothing.....for months, even eating back my exercise calories. That was letting MFP do the calculations for me. I have since had my RMR measured at the hospital using isolated calorimetry metabolic cart. It was measured at 1760, so yeah, I guess my body was a little p/o'd about that. Anyway, cut to now. I have gone in and set my calorie goals myself, at 1800 cal. My question is, since I am not using MFP's set numbers, do I still eat back my exercise calories. Right now I am not, but I would be more than happy to do so!!!
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Nope. But sometimes I brush my teeth to cleanse my palate so I can eat a cinnamon roll without it tasting like pulled pork.

...wait, that actually sounds pretty good.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

sarcasm_zps1d16247f.jpg
  • KatieBee8
    KatieBee8 Posts: 61
    Options
    No, I don't brush my teeth to stop myself from eating but I do sometimes do it at night to stop myself having another sneaky glass of Pepsi Max. Brushing my teeth always puts me off drinking any fizzy drinks.

(I don't eat back my exercise calories either and I've lost 31lbs so far...:wink:)