Am I eating enough?

Options
Hi, just wanted some opinions if I am eating enough food. Daily recommendation is to eat 225g of protein a day- this would be my typical day of eating whilst training.

8am- Omelette or Greek yogurt or fruit
10am- Protein Shake
12pm- 250g Chicken and 1/2 packet of Uncle bens rice, BCCA Powder
2-3pm- Fruit, protein bar
5pm- (pre workout) Protein Shake and BCCA Powder
7pm- Eveining Meal- 250g Chicken/Fish and 1/2 packet of uncle bens rice
10pm- Protein Shake/bar

Replies

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    It's a lot more than I eat. What's your current weight and goal?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Plug it into your food diary and it will give you a cals plus P/C/F breakdown.

By the way 225g P is pretty high - not sure on your stats but when strength training/body building etc recommendation is 1g per lb lean body mass. Anymore isn't bad (unless you have health issues in which case you need to eat as per Dr recommendations) but will give no extra benefit.
  • pompeyjosh1990
    pompeyjosh1990 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I weigh 13.5 Stone or 189 pounds, Goal is a tricky one, I'm trying to cut but gain a bit of size too, so im weight training 4 times a week at least, and doing HIT training 3 times a week.....I play football also once a week.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Yes, no, maybe. How many calories is that in total?

Enough for what?

You're consuming very little fat.
    You have no variety.

Are you meeting your calorie, macro and micronutritional needs?
    Are you satisfied?
    Are you maximising your training potential?

Short answer, dunno.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I weigh 13.5 Stone or 189 pounds, Goal is a tricky one, I'm trying to cut but gain a bit of size too, so im weight training 4 times a week at least, and doing HIT training 3 times a week.....I play football also once a week.

225g of protein is plenty for a guy your size. You can even lower it to 170 or 180. I'm 10.5 stone (147 lbs) and I'm on around 110g of protein. 2000 calories per day and weight training 3 days a week and cardio on 3 other days.

• pompeyjosh1990
    Options
    Answer is I don't know as that's why im asking :) I agree with you on variety, I eat a lot of variety of meet, and I will mix the carb up from rice, sweet potatoes, egg noodles, or Risotto....etc. I really struggle to eat Vegetables.....Cant stand any of them, someone suggested blending them up, but do I just drink one vegetable shake a day? Im trying to Cut tbf, hence low fats, if I do have fats generally healthy fats. Ive only started training again as been out of about 5 months with a broken collar bone
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

If we assume that you are at 15% BF (no idea if that is the case because I'm hopeless at judging BF from pictures and the tattoos make it a little harder) then you would need about 160g P per day.

Trying to cut fat and gain muscle at the same time is not easy and can be a slow process (for some, slower than bulking then cutting) but in order to do that the strength training is of paramount importance. Get on a respected, progressive program (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you).

Next, ensure that your calories are spot on - To lose fat you need to be eating less than you need, but in your position (not in the overweight or obese categories) you should only shoot for about 1lb per week of fat loss. This is a 500 cal drop from your maintenance cals.
  • rebellez
    rebellez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes you're not eating enough vegetables and you know it! Try different recipes because you may not be cooking/preparing them in the most delicious ways. You can always make recipes that hide veges - like burgers with grated zucchini and carrot or mashed "sweet potato" with cauliflower mixed in it.
  • pompeyjosh1990
    Options
    Can I try blending Veg with fruit and do it that way- id imagine that will be a lot more tolerable. if so how many should I drink a day? or does that depend on what I put in it and how much?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How many calories is all that?

You probably need to decide if you're bulking, cutting or doing recomp?
  • pompeyjosh1990
    Options
    How many calories is all that?

You probably need to decide if you're bulking, cutting or doing recomp?

Recomp- not heard of that one? Im trying to do both....or at least sustain muscle mass.....im trying to lose the belly again, cut up and get shredded.
  • pompeyjosh1990
    Options
    and around 1800-2000 calories a day
  • cityruss
    Options
    You need to know how many calories you are consuming by logging accurately.

Monitor results and trends over a sustained period.

Adjust as necessary according to goal.
    Answer is I don't know as that's why im asking :) I agree with you on variety, I eat a lot of variety of meet, and I will mix the carb up from rice, sweet potatoes, egg noodles, or Risotto....etc. I really struggle to eat Vegetables.....Cant stand any of them, someone suggested blending them up, but do I just drink one vegetable shake a day? Im trying to Cut tbf, hence low fats, if I do have fats generally healthy fats. Ive only started training again as been out of about 5 months with a broken collar bone

Dietary fats do not make you fat. Excess calories do. Dietary fats are a massively important in hormone regulation and vitamin absorption.

In your position I'd be looking at a very small calorie deficit with appropriate macronutritional goals whilst maintaining your training regime.
  • pompeyjosh1990
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    You need to know how many calories you are consuming by logging accurately.

Monitor results and trends over a sustained period.

Adjust as necessary according to goal.

Dietary fats do not make you fat. Excess calories do. Dietary fats are a massively important in hormone regulation and vitamin absorption.

In your position I'd be looking at a very small calorie deficit with appropriate macronutritional goals whilst maintaining your training regime.

Thanks mate, I really struggle with Veg....I do eat healthy fats like nuts and stuff....its hard when im a fussy eater, makes it 10 times harder..... its true what they say abs are not made in the gym- they're made in the kitchen
  • rebellez
    rebellez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think 5 serves of veges minimum and maximum of 2 serves a fruit a day is what you should be aiming just for general good health. For fat loss you just have to choose the low carb ones. I also think you can learn to love your veges if cooked/prepared the right way - I personally don't like my veges in a smoothie - I love soups in winter and salads in summer. Tonight I had stuffed red pepper/capsicum with a chili con carne and cheese filing. My homemade chili had lots of tomatoes, onion, garlic and mushrooms.
  • cityruss
    Options
    rebellez wrote: »
    I think 5 serves of veges minimum and maximum of 2 serves a fruit a day is what you should be aiming just for general good health. For fat loss you just have to choose the low carb ones. I also think you can learn to love your veges if cooked/prepared the right way - I personally don't like my veges in a smoothie - I love soups in winter and salads in summer. Tonight I had stuffed red pepper/capsicum with a chili con carne and cheese filing. My homemade chili had lots of tomatoes, onion, garlic and mushrooms.

Please explain why "For fat loss you just have to choose the low carb ones".
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Doesn't look like there's much fibre or fat in there...you must get awfully bunged up.
  • pompeyjosh1990
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    rebellez wrote: »

Please explain why "For fat loss you just have to choose the low carb ones".

Vegetable are all low carb....bar spuds and sweet pot....or am I missing something
  • pompeyjosh1990
    Options
    Doesn't look like there's much fibre or fat in there...you must get awfully bunged up.

bunged up?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

bunged up?

Constipated.

Calories might be low, but that will depend on how active you are. Have you tried to input everything in MFP and see how much weight you are losing per week? We can only guesstimate anyways, so at some point, you need to track for 4-6 weeks and adjust based on the rules. For me (5'11, 33, desk job, exercise 5-6 hours a week, 175 lbs), 1800-2000 would be very aggressive. I maintain at 3k. So I cut around 2400.