Am I eating enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• pompeyjosh1990
    pompeyjosh1990 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Doesn't look like there's much fibre or fat in there...you must get awfully bunged up.

bunged up?

Constipated.

Calories might be low, but that will depend on how active you are. Have you tried to input everything in MFP and see how much weight you are losing per week? We can only guesstimate anyways, so at some point, you need to track for 4-6 weeks and adjust based on the rules. For me (5'11, 33, desk job, exercise 5-6 hours a week, 175 lbs), 1800-2000 would be very aggressive. I maintain at 3k. So I cut around 2400.

No I don't get bunged up at all!! far from it, I eat a lot of fruit too so that may help!

I cant physically eat any more then I currently do, I feel so full....what do you eat on your 'typical day'
  • rebellez
    rebellez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    rebellez wrote: »
    I think 5 serves of veges minimum and maximum of 2 serves a fruit a day is what you should be aiming just for general good health. For fat loss you just have to choose the low carb ones. I also think you can learn to love your veges if cooked/prepared the right way - I personally don't like my veges in a smoothie - I love soups in winter and salads in summer. Tonight I had stuffed red pepper/capsicum with a chili con carne and cheese filing. My homemade chili had lots of tomatoes, onion, garlic and mushrooms.

Please explain why "For fat loss you just have to choose the low carb ones".

I believe if you want to burn fat you should be eat low carb and avoid sugar. The carbs you eat should be from vegetables, fruit, legumes and small amounts of whole grains. You're not going to easily burn fat if you're eating your calories following a low fat high carb eating plan.
    Vegetable are all low carb....bar spuds and sweet pot....or am I missing something

I mostly try to eat low carb vegetable (no spuds) careful with corn etc but I was mostly referring to choosing 2 serves of low carb fruit the best are berries - I avoid high sugar fruits like bananas. I find the sugar affects my leptin "satiety hormone" - so I never feel satisfied after eating a banana - give me an apple any day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think 5 serves of veges minimum and maximum of 2 serves a fruit a day is what you should be aiming just for general good health. For fat loss you just have to choose the low carb ones. I also think you can learn to love your veges if cooked/prepared the right way - I personally don't like my veges in a smoothie - I love soups in winter and salads in summer. Tonight I had stuffed red pepper/capsicum with a chili con carne and cheese filing. My homemade chili had lots of tomatoes, onion, garlic and mushrooms.

I believe if you want to burn fat you should be eat low carb and avoid sugar. The carbs you eat should be from vegetables, fruit, legumes and small amounts of whole grains. You're not going to easily burn fat if you're eating your calories following a low fat high carb eating plan.
    Vegetable are all low carb....bar spuds and sweet pot....or am I missing something

I mostly try to eat low carb vegetable (no spuds) careful with corn etc but I was mostly referring to choosing 2 serves of low carb fruit the best are berries - I avoid high sugar fruits like bananas. I find the sugar affects my leptin "satiety hormone" - so I never feel satisfied after eating a banana - give me an apple any day.

You can believe that you need to go low carb to burn fat, but you would wrong. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. You can be just as fit following a very low fat, raw vegan diet as you can with a lchf. Both can achieve greater periods of lipolysis as compared to lipogenesis.

Satiety is affected by the types of foods you eat. Protein and fiber have the highest values. Fats and carbs are individualize (fats don't fill me up, but starches do). Gram for gram, apples and bananas are not too far different in terms of sugar. They are both high GI fruits.

• psuLemon
    Options
    Doesn't look like there's much fibre or fat in there...you must get awfully bunged up.

bunged up?

Constipated.

Calories might be low, but that will depend on how active you are. Have you tried to input everything in MFP and see how much weight you are losing per week? We can only guesstimate anyways, so at some point, you need to track for 4-6 weeks and adjust based on the rules. For me (5'11, 33, desk job, exercise 5-6 hours a week, 175 lbs), 1800-2000 would be very aggressive. I maintain at 3k. So I cut around 2400.

No I don't get bunged up at all!! far from it, I eat a lot of fruit too so that may help!

I cant physically eat any more then I currently do, I feel so full....what do you eat on your 'typical day'

You can eat higher calories, you just have to modify the foods you are eating. Calories don't dictate fullness, volume and macronutrient composition do. So replace low calorie foods with higher calorie foods, found in the list below.

But I wouldn't do that until you track for a period to monitor weight loss. If you are losing aggressively, then I would increase in hopes to muscle preservation. If you aren't losing aggressively (like 1 lb per week or less), you are in a good spot.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

What has led you to this belief?

Could you go in to a bit more detail of the physiological and biological processes involved?

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For a

I'm 10 pounds lighter than you carry great muscle and don't lose much if I keep protein in the 140-170 range my fat level is 80-100 grams a day, carbs under 150 most days calories around 2500 to 3000 ( cutting to 170- 175lbs for performance). I do a minimum of 30 min on a bike 7 days a week and do weights 6 days a week.

I tend to eat a lot of fruit during summer so carbs are more than likely higher than 150 as I rarely log the fruit and don't have an issue with weight control. I use this site mainly to get macro's in check but the people are so Awesome I just can't leave:):)
  • pompeyjosh1990
    Options
    cheers guys....
  • pompeyjosh1990
    Options
    Totals 1,677 154 44 149 1,682 62
    Your Daily Goal 2,510 288 57 224 2,300 96
    Remaining 833 134 13 75 618 34
    Calories carbs fat protein sodium sugar

that will be today (added in snack and my dinner later), but normally calorie intake is a bit higher then that.....not been feeling too great today hence lack of calories
  • rebellez
    rebellez Posts: 11 Member
    Options

You can believe that you need to go low carb to burn fat, but you would wrong. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. You can be just as fit following a very low fat, raw vegan diet as you can with a lchf. Both can achieve greater periods of lipolysis as compared to lipogenesis.

Satiety is affected by the types of foods you eat. Protein and fiber have the highest values. Fats and carbs are individualize (fats don't fill me up, but starches do). Gram for gram, apples and bananas are not too far different in terms of sugar. They are both high GI fruits.

I acknowledge that there are many diets you can follow to burn fat and I might be wrong about my belief for the need to go low carb to burn fat but I will be happier and healthier on my low carb Mediterranean style eating plan than anyone following an Atkins style lchf (which is nearly a no carb diet) or a low fat raw vegan diet (eeek). I also don't think Atkins or vegan are easy diets to follow. Both are too restrictive and both cut out way too many healthy food groups.

I totally agree with you on the satiety note I mostly use good fats/protein/legumes to fill me up (not apples).

The whole banana/apple discussion about high sugar fruits I got that from the latest book I was reading and the recommendation comes from a renowned UK dietitian. I was also only making a personal comment about how I feel after eating bananas but I am affected the same way by eating white bread/potato/white rice. I got to eat whole grains to feel satisfied.

Could you go in to a bit more detail of the physiological and biological processes involved?

I am certainly no dietitian but I love reading about diets however I don't read medical journals. I love reading books about healthy eating and have heard so much positive press about the Mediterranean style of eating. I've read a lot about quitting sugar, JERF "Just Eat Real Food", gut health and lately fasting and Mediterranean.

So this is my layman terms way of explaining the biology. You eat carbs like sugar/cereal/pasta/bread/potato. Your gut easily breaks these down releasing sugar into your system. Your pancreas responds by producing insulin to bring the sugar levels back down however if you have an excess of sugar in your blood it converts the sugar to fat but there is no fat accumulation without insulin.

So my understanding is if you don't eat sugar and other easily digestible carbohydrates then you won't produce excess amounts of insulin and therefore you won't store any fat. Even a thin healthy looking person can store excess fat around their organs called visceral fat - they are known as TOFIs "Thin Outside Fat Inside".

I do eat fruit and whole grain carbs just not a lot and I try to avoid the easily digestible kind. I do love them I am human - fries and fresh bread are heaven in my mouth just not in my gut.

I do track my calories to ensure I have the required calorie deficit in order to lose weight as well.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

I acknowledge that there are many diets you can follow to burn fat and I might be wrong about my belief for the need to go low carb to burn fat but I will be happier and healthier on my low carb Mediterranean style eating plan than anyone following an Atkins style lchf (which is nearly a no carb diet) or a low fat raw vegan diet (eeek). I also don't think Atkins or vegan are easy diets to follow. Both are too restrictive and both cut out way too many healthy food groups.

I totally agree with you on the satiety note I mostly use good fats/protein/legumes to fill me up (not apples).

The whole banana/apple discussion about high sugar fruits I got that from the latest book I was reading and the recommendation comes from a renowned UK dietitian. I was also only making a personal comment about how I feel after eating bananas but I am affected the same way by eating white bread/potato/white rice. I got to eat whole grains to feel satisfied.

I am certainly no dietitian but I love reading about diets however I don't read medical journals. I love reading books about healthy eating and have heard so much positive press about the Mediterranean style of eating. I've read a lot about quitting sugar, JERF "Just Eat Real Food", gut health and lately fasting and Mediterranean.

So this is my layman terms way of explaining the biology. You eat carbs like sugar/cereal/pasta/bread/potato. Your gut easily breaks these down releasing sugar into your system. Your pancreas responds by producing insulin to bring the sugar levels back down however if you have an excess of sugar in your blood it converts the sugar to fat but there is no fat accumulation without insulin.

So my understanding is if you don't eat sugar and other easily digestible carbohydrates then you won't produce excess amounts of insulin and therefore you won't store any fat. Even a thin healthy looking person can store excess fat around their organs called visceral fat - they are known as TOFIs "Thin Outside Fat Inside".

I do eat fruit and whole grain carbs just not a lot and I try to avoid the easily digestible kind. I do love them I am human - fries and fresh bread are heaven in my mouth just not in my gut.

I do track my calories to ensure I have the required calorie deficit in order to lose weight as well.

My understanding (no expert on though and I'm completely happy to be proved wrong on this - I'm here to learn) is contrary to the section in bold and is that both protein and carbohydrate will stimulate the release of insulin and, in that instance, insulin will promote use of the protein and carbohydrate as fuel. When there is no insulin present energy requirements come from fat (stored when fasted or when fat is consumed dietary).

When present insulin prohibits fat release from your fat cells.

So, even though in a carb rich meal the insulin released prioritizes carb usage and prohibits stored (body) fat usage, and that when in excess, the surplus energy will be stored as fat, the end result is the same as if the meal where high in fat and/or protein. That is: The, immediate energy requirements are satisfied from the carbohydrate in the food (as controlled by insulin), excess energy (of any type) is converted and stored as fat, the insulin levels drop, and the future fuel requirements are eventually drawn from fat reserves* (since the lack of insulin now allows body fat usage).

* unless more energy is provided to the system.

TLDNR version - Excess energy causes net fat storage. Scarcity of energy causes net fat usage. Insulin prohibits fat release but does not promote or facilitate storage.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Here's a kicker

Eat protein and you get an insulin response too

(Insulin - glucagon in a healthy body it's a natural response to food sources and whilst it helps the body utilise energy / store excess energy, the only reason for excess fat storage is excess calorie intake)
  • psuLemon
    Options

So interestingly enough, your body is a fat storing machine, regardless of dietary consumption. There are three (or more) hormones/enzymes that suppress hormone sensitive lipase (the enzyme that breaks down body fat) and each are released by different types of macronutrients

Carbs and to a less extent protein --> insulin increase --> increases Lipolipase --> decreases HSL
    Fat --> increases Acylation Stimulating Protein --> decreases HSL
    Carbs + Fat --> increases Glucose-dependent insulinotrophic Peptide --> decreases HSL

The fact is, your body will cycle between lipolysis (breakdown of nutrients) and lipogenesis (storage of nutrients). But at the end of the day, if your consume less calories than you burn, you will have longer periods of lipolysis and have a net body fat loss. So many books claim to have the "secret" to burn fat and prevent fat storage. But ultimately, its 100% about dietary compliance. The Med diet is very good. Full of healthy fats and omega 3's, tons of whole grains and plant based foods. So at the end of the day, if you enjoy it, then it's the best solution for you. Its just not the solution we all need to take.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

So interestingly enough, your body is a fat storing machine, regardless of dietary consumption. There are three (or more) hormones/enzymes that suppress hormone sensitive lipase (the enzyme that breaks down body fat) and each are released by different types of macronutrients

Carbs and to a less extent protein --> insulin increase --> increases Lipolipase --> decreases HSL
    Carbs + Fat --> increases Glucose-dependent insulinotrophic Peptide --> decreases HSL

The fact is, your body will cycle between lipolysis (breakdown of nutrients) and lipogenesis (storage of nutrients). But at the end of the day, if your consume less calories than you burn, you will have longer periods of lipolysis and have a net body fat loss. So many books claim to have the "secret" to burn fat and prevent fat storage. But ultimately, its 100% about dietary compliance. The Med diet is very good. Full of healthy fats and omega 3's, tons of whole grains and plant based foods. So at the end of the day, if you enjoy it, then it's the best solution for you. Its just not the solution we all need to take.

Nicely put, but (and I'm not bashing - just trying to learn) @rebellez indicated that insulin was required for fat storage. That was not my understanding. Am I wrong?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Nicely put, but (and I'm not bashing - just trying to learn) @rebellez indicated that insulin was required for fat storage. That was not my understanding. Am I wrong?

From my intermediate understanding of hormones, ASP, insulin and/or GIP can signal the body to store fat.