Mini Elliptical?

Options
So, I'm wanting to get this:

zrhbpkkxx15e.jpg

The Stamina In Motion Elliptical Trainer.

Two reasons, I currently don't have the cash to get a full size elliptical, nor the room. Both of these should not be a problem in a couple months but I want to get something while I'm really in the mood to do more than just walking. Has anyone ever had one of these or used them? I plan to bring it to my work after I get a full size elliptical, as we will be getting new standing stations. I understand that the stride is shorter than the full size. I'd like to know what those of you that have used this or something similar think about it.
Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have the pink 1. It'd be nice if it wasn't so heavy, for being so small because then it'd be portable. It's great to take on a camping trip, via a vehicle. Not so great to take to the bus stop, to use while waiting an hour; for your transfer bus. I haven't assembled it yet, so I am unable to offer any information; upon if it works decently or not yet.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I am confused how is that better than walking? That ROM looks really limited.

I thought the reason an elliptical was different to walking was the arm movement and resistance and it is easier on joints than constantly pounding a pavement ...for me it's the fact it has a built in TV in the gym TBH, but even then and with resistance cranked up I know it is less effective than the treadmill so rarely use it

I would have thought that is possibly less useful than going for a walk outside, although could see a relevance at a standing desk I suppose.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I have the pink 1. It'd be nice if it wasn't so heavy, for being so small because then it'd be portable. It's great to take on a camping trip, via a vehicle. Not so great to take to the bus stop, to use while waiting an hour; for your transfer bus. I haven't assembled it yet, so I am unable to offer any information; upon if it works decently or not yet.

In that hour you're waiting could you consider walking to the next bus stop? Or further? Or isn't there one?
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

I thought the reason an elliptical was different to walking was the arm movement and resistance and it is easier on joints than constantly pounding a pavement ...for me it's the fact it has a built in TV in the gym TBH, but even then and with resistance cranked up I know it is less effective than the treadmill so rarely use it

I would have thought that is possibly less useful than going for a walk outside, although could see a relevance at a standing desk I suppose.

I plan to try to use it, while seated (if possible); so that I can do some sort of exercise & a chore. Whereas walking outside, while folding laundry; isn't practical!
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

It isn't better than going for a walk outside but it is better than doing nothing. I don't like to walk outdoors in 90+ heat and humidity and if I don't like something, I won't do it. As I stated in my post, this is my pre-grown up elliptical. I'd like to go ahead and get something while I'm in the mind set to do something.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options

In that hour you're waiting could you consider walking to the next bus stop? Or further? Or isn't there one?

When/if possible, I'll walk somewhere instead of taking the bus altogether but if I am going to have to pay the same fare, between bus stops; I'd rather just get my money's worth.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

It isn't better than going for a walk outside but it is better than doing nothing. I don't like to walk outdoors in 90+ heat and humidity and if I don't like something, I won't do it. As I stated in my post, this is my pre-grown up elliptical. I'd like to go ahead and get something while I'm in the mind set to do something.

No I get it, personally I'd be doing bodyweight ...squats, push ups, lunges etc rather than that though
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

No I get it, personally I'd be doing bodyweight ...squats, push ups, lunges etc rather than that though

I would love to be in a place that I WANT to do those things...lol. Honestly, it's just too hard for me at this point. I have to start with things I enjoy or I just quit. Veteran giver upper here. Once I feel physically stronger, I will move on to something a bit more challenging. Of course, I'll totally have to YouTube to figure out how to do those properly! ;-p
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options

I would love to be in a place that I WANT to do those things...lol. Honestly, it's just too hard for me at this point. I have to start with things I enjoy or I just quit. Veteran giver upper here. Once I feel physically stronger, I will move on to something a bit more challenging. Of course, I'll totally have to YouTube to figure out how to do those properly! ;-p

It seems that you're like me, I have to have something to play with; in order to enjoy exercise or otherwise it's just like a punishment, when my toy was taken from me & I had to face a corner.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I asked for opinions of this here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10429449/stamina-55-1610-inmotion-e1000-elliptical-trainer-and-the-like#latest: with no response.

I was considering this for the winter when it's too dark, too cold, too icy to run outdoors. Seemed like a reasonable alternative to a $500-1,000 elliptical. My concerns: Stride length, 12 inches (I think) is kinda short, balancing on it could be iffy, seems like you would be just jogging in place with a short stride with no upper body work. (It, or something very much like it, is available with resistance bands for upper body work). But, Amazon does sell it for under $100, it takes up no room, and just might work if you can use it and do use it.

I was asking for opinions for those who have one, or have tried on. Seems to be very few in that category.