How many sets a day should you do for weight lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Completely depends on your goals and programming.
    This. Many of my clients are just trying to get in shape, so 3 is the default. But for a couple of my clients who are trying to gain muscle, we do 4-5 sets and multiple exercises for one body part.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    tcjay100 wrote: »
    It depends TO build muscle I do pyramids where I start with a set of 10 at 45 and drop the reps by two and increase the weight by 5 pounds for each set. The final set is usually 6 reps. The other option if I am just looking to tone my muscles, is lighter weights with maybe 20 reps.
    You mean try to "lose" body fat? Lifting weights with high reps DOESN'T target body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• 5K85
    5K85 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Doing curls and upper body strength training. Just taking it one work out at a time.
  • 5K85
    Options
    I'm using weights till I can get to the gym to do other exercises, doing my best.
  • 5K85
    Options
    I did a full work out exercise warm up and cool down sets and reps and finished it.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    It depends on you and your goals. Personally for strength training I do 3 sets of 20 reps [or until muscle fatigue hits] with a 30 second rest between sets, adjusting the weights as needed.
  • 5K85
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    It depends on you and your goals. Personally for strength training I do 3 sets of 20 reps [or until muscle fatigue hits] with a 30 second rest between sets, adjusting the weights as needed.

Yep, approved this message