Turning around really bad binging--anybody on Vyvanse or related? I really need something to help.

Options

Replies

• VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've had experiences with binge eating..and it's terrible, I understand. Just wanted to share from my experience. Currently have been binge-free for 2.5 years with a small slip-up in between for about like a week. Intermittent fasting WORSENED IT!! It screwed up my hormones and made me obsesses food. Make sure you're getting adequate calories..even if you binged yesterday, eat normal today. Break the cycle. I found the following book lifesaving for me: Brain Over Binge. Author struggled for years and her perspective and tactics were instrumental for me.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I hate to cherry pick and say this was what I was looking for but it helps to hear it or someone who "gets it". the hating yourself and eating until you're in pain...and then eating more. and not being able to have self control. every day is a struggle...hell every meal. i get worried i will pay to go to a doctor and then they will just say "eat less move more". did you see a psychiatrist or regular md? appreciate the information. i do not believe there is a cure all for this but therapy hasn't helped, fad diets have made it worse and my hunger/fullness/mind is so screwed up from all of this.
    terriwik wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with BED a few months ago. It took me over a month to accept the diagnoses and ask for meds. It has been a LIFE-CHANGER. I'm not a stupid woman. I know right from wrong and BED has NOTHING to do with being hungry.

I have type II diabetes and when I was in the midst of a binge, I KNEW what I was doing, but I couldn't stop. At the time, I thought I WAS stupid and quite possibly had a death wish as I'd eat myself to blood sugars in the 600+ range. It wasn't until I switched doctors and the new one asked me very specific questions and diagnosed me. When she told me about BED and that she felt I had it, I cried. Like a baby, I cried.

I tried for a month to control it and I did . . . until I didn't. One day I lost the fight and ate till I was sick and then ate some more. It was a relief and a punishment at the same time. The constant chatter about food in my head was relentless. After that day, I asked for help and she put me on Vyvance.

I still get "the munchies", but no longer get lost in binging. The constant chatter in my head is gone. I don't think about what my next meal will be (this was CONSTANT). I get hungry and I eat.

Someone who doesn't have BED, can NOT understand it. But if you think you are a binge eater (NOT just someone who overeats -- there is a HUGE difference). Ask your doctor for help. ~~Terri
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Some of your problems sound like medical related issues that you should speak to your doctor about. You should look into the possibility that your thyroid is not producing the right amount of hormones, this can cause sleep issues, weight gain, and menstrual issues. See a doctor to get blood work done.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I know intermittent fasting works for SO many people and it makes me feel really good once the hunger pangs pass and i get really productive. but once i start eating it is hard to stop and yes, it makes you obsess over food.

As far as the above post, my thyroid levels are now in range with 120 mg armour. they don't know what to do about my hormones besides prescribe me hormone replacement but nobody knows what causes the low hormones at this point. had a ton of bloodwork just revealing high cholesterol, fibrinogen, low hormones.
    VitaSh wrote: »
    I've had experiences with binge eating..and it's terrible, I understand. Just wanted to share from my experience. Currently have been binge-free for 2.5 years with a small slip-up in between for about like a week. Intermittent fasting WORSENED IT!! It screwed up my hormones and made me obsesses food. Make sure you're getting adequate calories..even if you binged yesterday, eat normal today. Break the cycle. I found the following book lifesaving for me: Brain Over Binge. Author struggled for years and her perspective and tactics were instrumental for me.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I have been on vyvanse for add, inattentive type, for 18ish months. I did not notice a difference in my appetite.

It was a GAME CHANGER though in every other aspect of my life. I have avoided being medicated for my ADD for....as long as I can remember. I was 'fine' and didnt 'need' it. Sure I functioned....but my quality of life is SO SO much better medicated.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Interesting. I do know it is marketed for BED as well. I don't expect a miracle but wondering if it would help with the impulsivity I get around food, constant free for alls that I can't seem to stop. it would be amazing to eat and then move on with my day. its ridiculous and ruining my life so I am hoping this may help.
    mkakids wrote: »
    I have been on vyvanse for add, inattentive type, for 18ish months. I did not notice a difference in my appetite.

It was a GAME CHANGER though in every other aspect of my life. I have avoided being medicated for my ADD for....as long as I can remember. I was 'fine' and didnt 'need' it. Sure I functioned....but my quality of life is SO SO much better medicated.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    charkelsey wrote: »
    Interesting. I do know it is marketed for BED as well. I don't expect a miracle but wondering if it would help with the impulsivity I get around food, constant free for alls that I can't seem to stop. it would be amazing to eat and then move on with my day. its ridiculous and ruining my life so I am hoping this may help.

Yes, i know. If your binging is because of impulse or non diagnosed add....it may help. I have had zero side effects, and honestly...i would give it a shot! There are risks of course, but its a fairly safe and well studied drug. Id talk to your Dr about it.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Thank you. It's worth a try I suppose.

Yes, i know. If your binging is because of impulse or non diagnosed add....it may help. I have had zero side effects, and honestly...i would give it a shot! There are risks of course, but its a fairly safe and well studied drug. Id talk to your Dr about it.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    "There are some products (such as Amphetamines) which do increase your metabolism as they are incredibly strong stimulants. These drugs such as Adderal, Vyvanse, and the newest being used specifically for a reduction in weight Qysmia (Phentermine/Topiramate) are very serious drugs which should only be used when prescribed and monitored by a physician.They include their own host of negative side effects such as: heart palpitations, abdominal pain, appetite suppression, nausea, dry mouth, reduced seizure threshold (hence the newest addition having Topiramate an anti-seizure drug), anxiety, insomnia, reduced sexual function, heart attack, stroke, and sudden death. Let’s not forget about Fen-Phen (the Fenfluramine/phentermine combination) which was black boxed and removed because of the over 6,000 heart damage and deaths.

In our opinion, considering weight loss can be done safely and effectively by moderately reducing calorie intake and increasing activity levels without the high cost and potential side effects; Don’t waste your money!"

http://blog.pop.fitness/2016/07/18/weight-loss-scams-and-how-to-spot-them/

This is my take on it. By taking these drugs you are opening yourself up to potential negative side effects WITHOUT actually solving the problem. What's the problem? Not having learned the skills you need to eat in a sustainable manner while controlling overall calorie intake.

What's going to happen when you stop the drug? I think the re-gain most patients experience is incredibly high for this very reason. Most people who are overconsuming calories need psychological conditioning and therapy, NOT a drug. That's not even mentioning the fact that this drug could very well do much more physical harm than good.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    I would not be taking this to see a reduction on the scale. I got down from a side 16 to a size 2 in college by calorie counting and running (myself ragged) 4 miles a day. I kept it off by exercising like a mad woman, not sleeping, fasting for a few years. it was un sustainable. I've never been able to maintain my weight. I got to a size 16 by overeating and not knowing it long before trying to lose weight. i got fed up and lost it but could only cope with the hunger and exhaustion for so long. my estrogen and progesterone tanked and never came back despite being a size 10-12 now. My brain is always thinking about food. once i break my fast whether it is 9 am or 4 pm i just keep eating until I'm so full and bloated. it is a lot worse if i eat breakfast, or earlier than 4 pm. i just want to be able to eat 3 square meals, maybe a snack. but i've never been able to eat like this. even as a kid there as no schedule. i keep failing every time i try. Hoping this drug would allow me to think more rationally around food and help to follow a general plan, lessen my appetite so i'm not going back for a 2nd plate of food. now if i have just one plate, i am fighting myself and counting down until i can eat again. it's hard for me to get on with my day.

This would be to help reset my habit and patterns of binge eating specifically. I have never been able to stay in a calorie deficit no matter how much or little I exercise,what diet I try. The amount of "healthy" "clean" food I eat is rarely under 2,000 in itself. So if a drug can help my brain stop thinking about the next meal, binge, etc. I would like to look into it. I understand the risks and I am not looking into taking something like phenphen. This drug has been used widely for years for ADHD already. Taking the prescribed dose the same way a 12 year old would shouldn't cause such severe side effects.
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    "There are some products (such as Amphetamines) which do increase your metabolism as they are incredibly strong stimulants. These drugs such as Adderal, Vyvanse, and the newest being used specifically for a reduction in weight Qysmia (Phentermine/Topiramate) are very serious drugs which should only be used when prescribed and monitored by a physician.They include their own host of negative side effects such as: heart palpitations, abdominal pain, appetite suppression, nausea, dry mouth, reduced seizure threshold (hence the newest addition having Topiramate an anti-seizure drug), anxiety, insomnia, reduced sexual function, heart attack, stroke, and sudden death. Let’s not forget about Fen-Phen (the Fenfluramine/phentermine combination) which was black boxed and removed because of the over 6,000 heart damage and deaths.

In our opinion, considering weight loss can be done safely and effectively by moderately reducing calorie intake and increasing activity levels without the high cost and potential side effects; Don’t waste your money!"

This is my take on it. By taking these drugs you are opening yourself up to potential negative side effects WITHOUT actually solving the problem. What's the problem? Not having learned the skills you need to eat in a sustainable manner while controlling overall calorie intake.

What's going to happen when you stop the drug? I think the re-gain most patients experience is incredibly high for this very reason. Most people who are overconsuming calories need psychological conditioning and therapy, NOT a drug. That's not even mentioning the fact that this drug could very well do much more physical harm than good.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I would not be taking this to see a reduction on the scale. I got down from a side 16 to a size 2 in college by calorie counting and running (myself ragged) 4 miles a day. I kept it off by exercising like a mad woman, not sleeping, fasting for a few years. it was un sustainable. I've never been able to maintain my weight. I got to a size 16 by overeating and not knowing it long before trying to lose weight. i got fed up and lost it but could only cope with the hunger and exhaustion for so long. my estrogen and progesterone tanked and never came back despite being a size 10-12 now. My brain is always thinking about food. once i break my fast whether it is 9 am or 4 pm i just keep eating until I'm so full and bloated. it is a lot worse if i eat breakfast, or earlier than 4 pm. i just want to be able to eat 3 square meals, maybe a snack. but i've never been able to eat like this. even as a kid there as no schedule. i keep failing every time i try. Hoping this drug would allow me to think more rationally around food and help to follow a general plan, lessen my appetite so i'm not going back for a 2nd plate of food. now if i have just one plate, i am fighting myself and counting down until i can eat again. it's hard for me to get on with my day.

This would be to help reset my habit and patterns of binge eating specifically. I have never been able to stay in a calorie deficit no matter how much or little I exercise,what diet I try. The amount of "healthy" "clean" food I eat is rarely under 2,000 in itself. So if a drug can help my brain stop thinking about the next meal, binge, etc. I would like to look into it. I understand the risks and I am not looking into taking something like phenphen. This drug has been used widely for years for ADHD already. Taking the prescribed dose the same way a 12 year old would shouldn't cause such severe side effects.

you asked for other peoples opinion and experience, there's mine. If you're set on taking it, go ahead. i know many people who DO experience the negative side effects and do not succeed long term as they still lack the fundamental change needed to maintain these habits.

• charlenekapf
    Options
    Yes, I was asking for experiences on Vyvanse. Or if you have struggled with BED. For people who have moderate true BED, calorie restriction alone and having self control isn't enough. But thank you for your input.

you asked for other peoples opinion and experience, there's mine. If you're set on taking it, go ahead. i know many people who DO experience the negative side effects and do not succeed long term as they still lack the fundamental change needed to maintain these habits.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Your question related to Vyvanse- I was binge eating alot at night and went on this drug and it has helped me tremendously and i have lost weight as a result of not night time binging. It has been an awesome drug for myself and I have not suffered any bad side effects. I got them from my psychiatrist so make sure you talk to your doctor about this but for me, it was a miracle drug.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Thank you for your experience. I'd heard both good and bad things about it. How long have you been on it if you don't mind me asking?
    Your question related to Vyvanse- I was binge eating alot at night and went on this drug and it has helped me tremendously and i have lost weight as a result of not night time binging. It has been an awesome drug for myself and I have not suffered any bad side effects. I got them from my psychiatrist so make sure you talk to your doctor about this but for me, it was a miracle drug.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think that there are several issues here that both are connected and must be dealt with separately:

You need to check out what's going on with your hormones and other medical issues. Get a doctor that listens to you and takes you seriously.

You need to calm down emotionally, destress and take care of your psychological needs. Meditation and learning to set boundaries can be helpful.

You need to feed yourself properly, reliably and regularly. Please stop trying all kinds of strange diets and eating plans. Just decide to eat 3 or 4 meals of good food (food you like that are somewhat healthy) every day, plan them out in reasonable detail, and make sure you have all the items you need. If you stick to meals, and use a normal sized plate, and fill it once per meal, you don't have to worry about calories and carbs and fat; focus on the meal while you are eating, and enjoy it.

Don't worry about thinking "too much" about food. Your food issues aren't resolved, and thus need attention. Food is important, and most people, and animals too, think about food a lot.

Your key question was about Vyvanse, but I'm not going to try to pretend I know anything about that. You need to discuss it with a competent doctor.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Thank you. This is solid advice and I appreciate it. i have seen so many doctors it is really frustrating. I've been 102 lbs and "healthy" running, restricting a lot with no period and I've been as high as175 before losing all that weight with no idea how to eat or what hunger/fullness was...I couldn't maintain the loss and gained rapidly and slowly depending on how much I was on track with counting calories, exercising but got so tired of the insomnia and tried intuitive eating....mostly binging/overeating if I couldn't fast. the only way i've ever been able to lose /maintain was to get used to the hunger and low energy. hoping there is another way or some underlying issue that hasn't been found yet. i appreciate your compassion and not just telling me to eat less than I expend. clearly this worked in the past and then hormones got out of whack, emotions too.
    I think that there are several issues here that both are connected and must be dealt with separately:

You need to check out what's going on with your hormones and other medical issues. Get a doctor that listens to you and takes you seriously.

You need to calm down emotionally, destress and take care of your psychological needs. Meditation and learning to set boundaries can be helpful.

You need to feed yourself properly, reliably and regularly. Please stop trying all kinds of strange diets and eating plans. Just decide to eat 3 or 4 meals of good food (food you like that are somewhat healthy) every day, plan them out in reasonable detail, and make sure you have all the items you need. If you stick to meals, and use a normal sized plate, and fill it once per meal, you don't have to worry about calories and carbs and fat; focus on the meal while you are eating, and enjoy it.

Don't worry about thinking "too much" about food. Your food issues aren't resolved, and thus need attention. Food is important, and most people, and animals too, think about food a lot.

Your key question was about Vyvanse, but I'm not going to try to pretend I know anything about that. You need to discuss it with a competent doctor.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @charkelsey hello I am a mid thirty year old male. I thought for years I had a "sugar addiction" or that I was losing my mind because I kept gaining weight and could not ever lose weight. When I was younger I was 150lbs after my wife had our first child I gained 50 pounds and was able to lose it and keep it off. A couple years went by and my wife got pregnant again and I gained weight again. Well that time I could not lose the weight no matter what I did. I felt this urge building in me when I got stressed or anxiety it would build in me. I finally got to my heaviest weight and lowest point mentally and sought treatment. It turned out my issues with food was from an undiagnosed eating disorder called Binge Eating disorder. Along with ADHD, anxiety, ocd, and depression that I have been battlig my whole life. I was put on Vyvanse in February and it honestly had changed my life in so many ways. I know many people will have different opinions on the best way to treat each thing. But for me this is the thing that works. I have finally been able to lose weight and deal with each day as it comes. I still am not 100% better but I am so much better than I was a few months ago.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Thank you for this. i am wondering if I have undiagnosed ADHD as well that may be exacerbating all of this. It's hard to say without taking to a dr about it but it would make sense that there is a reason why I can't just stick to my calorie target and grossly exceed it most days.
    mweckler wrote: »
    @charkelsey hello I am a mid thirty year old male. I thought for years I had a "sugar addiction" or that I was losing my mind because I kept gaining weight and could not ever lose weight. When I was younger I was 150lbs after my wife had our first child I gained 50 pounds and was able to lose it and keep it off. A couple years went by and my wife got pregnant again and I gained weight again. Well that time I could not lose the weight no matter what I did. I felt this urge building in me when I got stressed or anxiety it would build in me. I finally got to my heaviest weight and lowest point mentally and sought treatment. It turned out my issues with food was from an undiagnosed eating disorder called Binge Eating disorder. Along with ADHD, anxiety, ocd, and depression that I have been battlig my whole life. I was put on Vyvanse in February and it honestly had changed my life in so many ways. I know many people will have different opinions on the best way to treat each thing. But for me this is the thing that works. I have finally been able to lose weight and deal with each day as it comes. I still am not 100% better but I am so much better than I was a few months ago.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. i am wondering if I have undiagnosed ADHD as well that may be exacerbating all of this. It's hard to say without taking to a dr about it but it would make sense that there is a reason why I can't just stick to my calorie target and grossly exceed it most days.
    mweckler wrote: »

It is worth it to get checked out. Once I knew why I was eating the doing why I could not lose weight I started my medications and became more aware of how my environment was affecting me and causing me to binge eat. But taking the Vyvanse has been an amazing change for me.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Thank you. I know a pill won't solve my problems necessarily but if it can help lessen the daily agony I'm dealing with I think it is worth a try. I am going to hopefully get an appointment soon...have to find a dr who will prescribe it as well. worried as many do not understand BED. hopefully a psychiatrist who works with adhd and knows about this drug will see if i may be a good candidate for it.