Turning around really bad binging--anybody on Vyvanse or related? I really need something to help.

Options

Replies

• LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    charkelsey wrote: »
    Thank you for this. i am wondering if I have undiagnosed ADHD as well that may be exacerbating all of this. It's hard to say without taking to a dr about it but it would make sense that there is a reason why I can't just stick to my calorie target and grossly exceed it most days.
    mweckler wrote: »
    @charkelsey hello I am a mid thirty year old male. I thought for years I had a "sugar addiction" or that I was losing my mind because I kept gaining weight and could not ever lose weight. When I was younger I was 150lbs after my wife had our first child I gained 50 pounds and was able to lose it and keep it off. A couple years went by and my wife got pregnant again and I gained weight again. Well that time I could not lose the weight no matter what I did. I felt this urge building in me when I got stressed or anxiety it would build in me. I finally got to my heaviest weight and lowest point mentally and sought treatment. It turned out my issues with food was from an undiagnosed eating disorder called Binge Eating disorder. Along with ADHD, anxiety, ocd, and depression that I have been battlig my whole life. I was put on Vyvanse in February and it honestly had changed my life in so many ways. I know many people will have different opinions on the best way to treat each thing. But for me this is the thing that works. I have finally been able to lose weight and deal with each day as it comes. I still am not 100% better but I am so much better than I was a few months ago.

It is really worth it to see a psychiatrist. Mine actually specializes in ADD which is why I chose him. The test is actually very easy, it's call the TOVA (test of variable attention) and it's pretty reliable. I was just sure he was going to come back and say no, you don't have ADD, you're just lazy, but obvs that didn't happen. He was willing to explain some of the pharmacology to me, and explain some past and current (at that time) behaviors as well. Of course he also helps with anxiety and depression and insomnia and that too. He's not a "talk" type psychiatrist which I appreciate, and although he has funny Freud beard he has never once asked me about my mother.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I wish they were in California! Hmm..maybe I can google someone in my area who is similar in terms of diagnosing based on tests rather than just putting me on an antidepressant or something.
    LokiGrrl wrote: »
    Thank you for this. i am wondering if I have undiagnosed ADHD as well that may be exacerbating all of this. It's hard to say without taking to a dr about it but it would make sense that there is a reason why I can't just stick to my calorie target and grossly exceed it most days.
    mweckler wrote: »
    @charkelsey hello I am a mid thirty year old male. I thought for years I had a "sugar addiction" or that I was losing my mind because I kept gaining weight and could not ever lose weight. When I was younger I was 150lbs after my wife had our first child I gained 50 pounds and was able to lose it and keep it off. A couple years went by and my wife got pregnant again and I gained weight again. Well that time I could not lose the weight no matter what I did. I felt this urge building in me when I got stressed or anxiety it would build in me. I finally got to my heaviest weight and lowest point mentally and sought treatment. It turned out my issues with food was from an undiagnosed eating disorder called Binge Eating disorder. Along with ADHD, anxiety, ocd, and depression that I have been battlig my whole life. I was put on Vyvanse in February and it honestly had changed my life in so many ways. I know many people will have different opinions on the best way to treat each thing. But for me this is the thing that works. I have finally been able to lose weight and deal with each day as it comes. I still am not 100% better but I am so much better than I was a few months ago.

It is really worth it to see a psychiatrist. Mine actually specializes in ADD which is why I chose him. The test is actually very easy, it's call the TOVA (test of variable attention) and it's pretty reliable. I was just sure he was going to come back and say no, you don't have ADD, you're just lazy, but obvs that didn't happen. He was willing to explain some of the pharmacology to me, and explain some past and current (at that time) behaviors as well. Of course he also helps with anxiety and depression and insomnia and that too. He's not a "talk" type psychiatrist which I appreciate, and although he has funny Freud beard he has never once asked me about my mother.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You can ask your PCP for a referral, or HealthGrades can be good source.
  • alexandrabharrison80
    Options
    So...I'm a therapist (in addition to being a gal struggling to get back in shape) and I work specifically in the area of disordered/problematic eating. In my experience Vyvanse can work well but is far more impactful when combined with counseling/therapy. Which I know is no quick fix, but hey, neither is year after year of dieting! If it's something you're open to, I'd give it a try, and find someone who has experience in this area. Good luck....I wish it were easier for you: sounds like you've been trying awfully hard to overcome this. :)
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Thank you for this as well. Therapy alone has not helped me unfortunately but I agree, a multifaceted approach with medication, CBT probably will work better than therapy or medication alone. I am definitely looking into both a psychiatrist and a therapist. Appreciate the suggestion and empathy It's been a nightmare.
    So...I'm a therapist (in addition to being a gal struggling to get back in shape) and I work specifically in the area of disordered/problematic eating. In my experience Vyvanse can work well but is far more impactful when combined with counseling/therapy. Which I know is no quick fix, but hey, neither is year after year of dieting! If it's something you're open to, I'd give it a try, and find someone who has experience in this area. Good luck....I wish it were easier for you: sounds like you've been trying awfully hard to overcome this. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear from folks who have used this medication and how they went when they stopped taking it. Or is it something you have to stay on forever?
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Wondering that too. My hope would be it would help me to relearn portions and my stomach would get use dot it. Right now I have to have massive volumes of vegetables to feel like i've eaten.
    I'd be interested to hear from folks who have used this medication and how they went when they stopped taking it. Or is it something you have to stay on forever?
  • terriwik
    terriwik Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Vyvance is NOT a weight-loss drug. It's not even a drug that will help "regular" people not be hungry so they'll not eat and drop some pounds. Did you know LOTS of people with BED are SKINNY and don't even NEED to lose weight? It's the same category/type of eating disorder as anorexia -- good luck telling an anorexic to "just eat more".

It's an aid -- something to help you help yourself. When I quit smoking, I used behavior modification therapy AND I used the nicotine patch . . . it helped me help myself. I've been smoke-free (and nicotine-free) for almost 4 years.

It's not Fen-Phen or any other weight loss, money-wasting scam. Would you tell someone who's depressed not to waste their money on an anti-depressant? Of course you wouldn't.

I don't expect people to understand this disorder -- I didn't up until a few months ago. God bless my poor husband -- he's TRYING to understand it -- he eats when he's hungry and doesn't understand eating past the point of being satisfied. He CAN'T understand it.

I might be on this drug for a long time. I'm ok with that. HOPEFULLY when I DO come off it, I'll have acquired the skills needed so I won't resume binge eating. In the meantime, I'll use every tool at my disposal (including FDA approved drugs) to treat my disorder and help me help myself. ~~Terri
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Thank you Terri. It seems like some people don't understand this disorder and how hard it is to just "eat less" with your mind constantly battling you every meal, between meals etc.
    terriwik wrote: »
    Vyvance is NOT a weight-loss drug. It's not even a drug that will help "regular" people not be hungry so they'll not eat and drop some pounds. Did you know LOTS of people with BED are SKINNY and don't even NEED to lose weight? It's the same category/type of eating disorder as anorexia -- good luck telling an anorexic to "just eat more".

It's an aid -- something to help you help yourself. When I quit smoking, I used behavior modification therapy AND I used the nicotine patch . . . it helped me help myself. I've been smoke-free (and nicotine-free) for almost 4 years.

It's not Fen-Phen or any other weight loss, money-wasting scam. Would you tell someone who's depressed not to waste their money on an anti-depressant? Of course you wouldn't.

I don't expect people to understand this disorder -- I didn't up until a few months ago. God bless my poor husband -- he's TRYING to understand it -- he eats when he's hungry and doesn't understand eating past the point of being satisfied. He CAN'T understand it.

I might be on this drug for a long time. I'm ok with that. HOPEFULLY when I DO come off it, I'll have acquired the skills needed so I won't resume binge eating. In the meantime, I'll use every tool at my disposal (including FDA approved drugs) to treat my disorder and help me help myself. ~~Terri
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I still have a bad binging problem.. It starts during PMS and gets worse throughout TOM.

I feel your pain.

I know, I'm not adding anything useful, sorry.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Please don't apologize. It helps to know I am not alone. So many people complain they're eating 1500 and not being able to lose..im just trying to keep from overeating and staying in any kind of deficit. it's rare i can go longer than a day or two before way overdoing it.
    I still have a bad binging problem.. It starts during PMS and gets worse throughout TOM.

I feel your pain.

I know, I'm not adding anything useful, sorry.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I would not be taking this to see a reduction on the scale. I got down from a side 16 to a size 2 in college by calorie counting and running (myself ragged) 4 miles a day. I kept it off by exercising like a mad woman, not sleeping, fasting for a few years. it was un sustainable. I've never been able to maintain my weight. I got to a size 16 by overeating and not knowing it long before trying to lose weight. i got fed up and lost it but could only cope with the hunger and exhaustion for so long. my estrogen and progesterone tanked and never came back despite being a size 10-12 now. My brain is always thinking about food. once i break my fast whether it is 9 am or 4 pm i just keep eating until I'm so full and bloated. it is a lot worse if i eat breakfast, or earlier than 4 pm. i just want to be able to eat 3 square meals, maybe a snack. but i've never been able to eat like this. even as a kid there as no schedule. i keep failing every time i try. Hoping this drug would allow me to think more rationally around food and help to follow a general plan, lessen my appetite so i'm not going back for a 2nd plate of food. now if i have just one plate, i am fighting myself and counting down until i can eat again. it's hard for me to get on with my day.

This would be to help reset my habit and patterns of binge eating specifically. I have never been able to stay in a calorie deficit no matter how much or little I exercise,what diet I try. The amount of "healthy" "clean" food I eat is rarely under 2,000 in itself. So if a drug can help my brain stop thinking about the next meal, binge, etc. I would like to look into it. I understand the risks and I am not looking into taking something like phenphen. This drug has been used widely for years for ADHD already. Taking the prescribed dose the same way a 12 year old would shouldn't cause such severe side effects.
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    "There are some products (such as Amphetamines) which do increase your metabolism as they are incredibly strong stimulants. These drugs such as Adderal, Vyvanse, and the newest being used specifically for a reduction in weight Qysmia (Phentermine/Topiramate) are very serious drugs which should only be used when prescribed and monitored by a physician.They include their own host of negative side effects such as: heart palpitations, abdominal pain, appetite suppression, nausea, dry mouth, reduced seizure threshold (hence the newest addition having Topiramate an anti-seizure drug), anxiety, insomnia, reduced sexual function, heart attack, stroke, and sudden death. Let’s not forget about Fen-Phen (the Fenfluramine/phentermine combination) which was black boxed and removed because of the over 6,000 heart damage and deaths.

In our opinion, considering weight loss can be done safely and effectively by moderately reducing calorie intake and increasing activity levels without the high cost and potential side effects; Don’t waste your money!"

http://blog.pop.fitness/2016/07/18/weight-loss-scams-and-how-to-spot-them/

This is my take on it. By taking these drugs you are opening yourself up to potential negative side effects WITHOUT actually solving the problem. What's the problem? Not having learned the skills you need to eat in a sustainable manner while controlling overall calorie intake.

What's going to happen when you stop the drug? I think the re-gain most patients experience is incredibly high for this very reason. Most people who are overconsuming calories need psychological conditioning and therapy, NOT a drug. That's not even mentioning the fact that this drug could very well do much more physical harm than good.

My brain used to act like yours. To my amazement, after I tweaked my macros - eating more protein and less carbs (I always eat plenty of fat) - and also eating more fiber - the obsession about food ceased. Now, I'm just hungry right before meals. (I have a modest calorie deficit.)

I look at my macros for every meal and snack. For me, protein was key. But different people are satiated by different foods.

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Thank you. I have tried cutting carbs before and agree it helps a lot with not thinking about food as much. I bought into the paleo then keto stuff and took it way too far. I think this also caused my sleep to suffer and my energy at the time. Getting no more than 30g carbs was miserable. But I do find that things like oatmeal keep me full for a grand total of 30 minutes. it helps adding some fat...but chicken/tuna with an egg holds me better.i'll keep playing around with it....i will say on low carb...it lacked a certain satiety that grains/healthy carbs do provide..i would overeat fat and protein and never feel satisfied. I think having a balance of all three macros with certain tweaks based on personal preferences is the key. and staying consistent. i'll start lowering the carbs a bit and focusing more on veggies.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I would not be taking this to see a reduction on the scale. I got down from a side 16 to a size 2 in college by calorie counting and running (myself ragged) 4 miles a day. I kept it off by exercising like a mad woman, not sleeping, fasting for a few years. it was un sustainable. I've never been able to maintain my weight. I got to a size 16 by overeating and not knowing it long before trying to lose weight. i got fed up and lost it but could only cope with the hunger and exhaustion for so long. my estrogen and progesterone tanked and never came back despite being a size 10-12 now. My brain is always thinking about food. once i break my fast whether it is 9 am or 4 pm i just keep eating until I'm so full and bloated. it is a lot worse if i eat breakfast, or earlier than 4 pm. i just want to be able to eat 3 square meals, maybe a snack. but i've never been able to eat like this. even as a kid there as no schedule. i keep failing every time i try. Hoping this drug would allow me to think more rationally around food and help to follow a general plan, lessen my appetite so i'm not going back for a 2nd plate of food. now if i have just one plate, i am fighting myself and counting down until i can eat again. it's hard for me to get on with my day.

This would be to help reset my habit and patterns of binge eating specifically. I have never been able to stay in a calorie deficit no matter how much or little I exercise,what diet I try. The amount of "healthy" "clean" food I eat is rarely under 2,000 in itself. So if a drug can help my brain stop thinking about the next meal, binge, etc. I would like to look into it. I understand the risks and I am not looking into taking something like phenphen. This drug has been used widely for years for ADHD already. Taking the prescribed dose the same way a 12 year old would shouldn't cause such severe side effects.
    "There are some products (such as Amphetamines) which do increase your metabolism as they are incredibly strong stimulants. These drugs such as Adderal, Vyvanse, and the newest being used specifically for a reduction in weight Qysmia (Phentermine/Topiramate) are very serious drugs which should only be used when prescribed and monitored by a physician.They include their own host of negative side effects such as: heart palpitations, abdominal pain, appetite suppression, nausea, dry mouth, reduced seizure threshold (hence the newest addition having Topiramate an anti-seizure drug), anxiety, insomnia, reduced sexual function, heart attack, stroke, and sudden death. Let’s not forget about Fen-Phen (the Fenfluramine/phentermine combination) which was black boxed and removed because of the over 6,000 heart damage and deaths.

In our opinion, considering weight loss can be done safely and effectively by moderately reducing calorie intake and increasing activity levels without the high cost and potential side effects; Don’t waste your money!"

This is my take on it. By taking these drugs you are opening yourself up to potential negative side effects WITHOUT actually solving the problem. What's the problem? Not having learned the skills you need to eat in a sustainable manner while controlling overall calorie intake.

What's going to happen when you stop the drug? I think the re-gain most patients experience is incredibly high for this very reason. Most people who are overconsuming calories need psychological conditioning and therapy, NOT a drug. That's not even mentioning the fact that this drug could very well do much more physical harm than good.

My brain used to act like yours. To my amazement, after I tweaked my macros - eating more protein and less carbs (I always eat plenty of fat) - and also eating more fiber - the obsession about food ceased. Now, I'm just hungry right before meals. (I have a modest calorie deficit.)

I look at my macros for every meal and snack. For me, protein was key. But different people are satiated by different foods.

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi-

I have been suffering from diagnosed BED for about a year and a half here now and it's been progressively worsening in some ways and in other areas improving some. I was started on Vyvanse for BED specifically in April and am off of it now:

With that said,

Vyvanse initially served it stimulant role right off the bat. Coming from someone who isn't too sensitive to stimulants or caffeine, I for sure felt different the initial several doses. After about an hour and inward rush of energy, elevated mood, high motivation and focus. This was cool and on the eating end of things allowed me to take a moment (my appetite was shot too) and think about my actions and food based decisions rather than just mindlessly leaping into them as I do before and having that painful and terrible regret afterwards. This continued for about a month.
    Then I just started to have more and more compounding negative effects. I would get the initial rush and then I would then more and more start to feel the other end of the spectrum which was the associated come down which just made my mind feel like a big bowling ball was sitting atop it. Felt anxious and very paranoid and just on edge remainder of day. Any caffeine intake mixed with this would worsen this come down. It was hard to handle and now I am off Vyvanse because it just didn't seem to be a benefit outweighs the risks type of scenario after my anxiety was peaking and the med was worsening it and also making sleep even more difficult.

Now my major, major issue is in relation to sleep: I know I am still trying to battle this eating disorder and my eating may be too restricted still and my hormones are likely very out of whack, but my sleep is causing me to wake up several times a night and have major issues getting consistent sleep as well as adrenaline rush like wake up At 3am every night for the past couple weeks which had grown to be concerning.

My experience. Hope this is of help.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Thank you. I have tried cutting carbs before and agree it helps a lot with not thinking about food as much. I bought into the paleo then keto stuff and took it way too far. I think this also caused my sleep to suffer and my energy at the time. Getting no more than 30g carbs was miserable. But I do find that things like oatmeal keep me full for a grand total of 30 minutes. it helps adding some fat...but chicken/tuna with an egg holds me better.i'll keep playing around with it....i will say on low carb...it lacked a certain satiety that grains/healthy carbs do provide..i would overeat fat and protein and never feel satisfied. I think having a balance of all three macros with certain tweaks based on personal preferences is the key. and staying consistent. i'll start lowering the carbs a bit and focusing more on veggies.
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Ya, some people love LCHF/Paleo/Keto but for me 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein is the sweet spot.

I can't have oatmeal for breakfast, but do like it for a bedtime snack...with peanut butter and Greek yogurt. And strawberries.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Wow. thank you for the experience. I for sure have battled the exact sleep issue you are talking about when I can actually maintain any kind of deficit. I lost weight 2x in my life, the first was when I began having the insomnia issues...around age 19...I maintained the intense exercise routine and calorie counting until 23 until I was tired of being tired and I gained up to around 148 a year ago and was miserable, like how i feel now. I lost about 20 lbs by eating very low carb, lowish fat, intermittent fasting and lots of exercise...but I was sleeping maybe 4-5 hours a night the entire time.

So I'm kind of at a loss. I have to take extreme measures to be able to eat under 2000 calories a day without feeling hungry before bed...i will not sleep at all on an empty stomach and have to have a very small eating window to feel satisfied on a deficit. No matter what, my sleep still suffers, although is better when I eat most food at night...instead of no sleep I get a few hours. Totally know the feeling of the 3 am wakeups.

Although since I've been eating way over my TDEE for the past 4-5 mos and gaining a ton of weight, I only wake up to pee and can fall right back asleep..but i have to get up 3 times a night....hormone related i believe.

sleep is SO so important and yet i have never had good sleep losing weight. hoping that this approach with more balanced macronutrients with higher carbs than a year ago (carbs came from non starchy veg only) things go a bit better.

i've tried melatonin, magensium, etc. ugh. i envy those who sleep well when they diet.

sarsather wrote: »
    Hi-

I have been suffering from diagnosed BED for about a year and a half here now and it's been progressively worsening in some ways and in other areas improving some. I was started on Vyvanse for BED specifically in April and am off of it now:

With that said,

Vyvanse initially served it stimulant role right off the bat. Coming from someone who isn't too sensitive to stimulants or caffeine, I for sure felt different the initial several doses. After about an hour and inward rush of energy, elevated mood, high motivation and focus. This was cool and on the eating end of things allowed me to take a moment (my appetite was shot too) and think about my actions and food based decisions rather than just mindlessly leaping into them as I do before and having that painful and terrible regret afterwards. This continued for about a month.
    Then I just started to have more and more compounding negative effects. I would get the initial rush and then I would then more and more start to feel the other end of the spectrum which was the associated come down which just made my mind feel like a big bowling ball was sitting atop it. Felt anxious and very paranoid and just on edge remainder of day. Any caffeine intake mixed with this would worsen this come down. It was hard to handle and now I am off Vyvanse because it just didn't seem to be a benefit outweighs the risks type of scenario after my anxiety was peaking and the med was worsening it and also making sleep even more difficult.

Now my major, major issue is in relation to sleep: I know I am still trying to battle this eating disorder and my eating may be too restricted still and my hormones are likely very out of whack, but my sleep is causing me to wake up several times a night and have major issues getting consistent sleep as well as adrenaline rush like wake up At 3am every night for the past couple weeks which had grown to be concerning.

My experience. Hope this is of help.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your experience. I'd heard both good and bad things about it. How long have you been on it if you don't mind me asking?
    Your question related to Vyvanse- I was binge eating alot at night and went on this drug and it has helped me tremendously and i have lost weight as a result of not night time binging. It has been an awesome drug for myself and I have not suffered any bad side effects. I got them from my psychiatrist so make sure you talk to your doctor about this but for me, it was a miracle drug.
    I have been on it about 6 months, he did have to keep increasing my dose because you do get tolerant to it, but the current dose I am on (70mg) has worked great. I have nothing but good things to say about this drug for binge eating.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Thank you for this. Did you find it hard to get prescribed? I am going to book an appointment but I currently don't see a psychiatrist so I am not sure that I will be able to get it so quickly. However I am trying so hard every day to fight the impulsivity that comes with my ridiculous appetite. I will never be able to achieve a deficit at this rate without something. I can easily overeat my TDEE by 1000+ calories unless I am stuffing myself with veggies for the majority of my calories and while some may think this is healthy that is just not normal. i should be able to eat a normal sized meal and feel full without having to go through bags of cauliflower and coleslaw after a normal meal.
    Thank you for your experience. I'd heard both good and bad things about it. How long have you been on it if you don't mind me asking?
    Your question related to Vyvanse- I was binge eating alot at night and went on this drug and it has helped me tremendously and i have lost weight as a result of not night time binging. It has been an awesome drug for myself and I have not suffered any bad side effects. I got them from my psychiatrist so make sure you talk to your doctor about this but for me, it was a miracle drug.
    I have been on it about 6 months, he did have to keep increasing my dose because you do get tolerant to it, but the current dose I am on (70mg) has worked great. I have nothing but good things to say about this drug for binge eating.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I started on 30mg Vyvanse did feel it a little, then went to 50mg, now I take 70mg and it has been pretty good. I take the meds early in the morning and they wear off by the time I am ready for bed. I was noticing though it says it lasts 12 hours or so. But for me in anything lower than 70 I was getting about 6 or 8 hours then I would crash. Also this is the first stimulant I had ever taken and it took me a while to sort out how I was feeling. Also it does upset the stomach some about 30 to 45 minutes after taking it. So you may need to adjust when you eat breakfast to allow for proper absorption of Vyvanse.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Thank you for this. Did you find it hard to get prescribed? I am going to book an appointment but I currently don't see a psychiatrist so I am not sure that I will be able to get it so quickly. However I am trying so hard every day to fight the impulsivity that comes with my ridiculous appetite. I will never be able to achieve a deficit at this rate without something. I can easily overeat my TDEE by 1000+ calories unless I am stuffing myself with veggies for the majority of my calories and while some may think this is healthy that is just not normal. i should be able to eat a normal sized meal and feel full without having to go through bags of cauliflower and coleslaw after a normal meal.

I'd really like to see what you are eating. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings