Turning around really bad binging--anybody on Vyvanse or related? I really need something to help.

Options
124»

Replies

• charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Sorry just saw this. You have to understand that it's not "what i'm eating" that fixes the problem. I've tried and stayed consistent with various types of diets and this further exacerbates the problem. I can eat a "bro" diet and my calories will be less than say eating processed food, but maintaining a deficit is extremely difficult. I usually eat around TDEE if I chew gum, chug a lot of water, eat bland chicken breast, tons of vegetables, pee all day 2-3x an hour, some nuts and maybe an egg. lower carb helps lower calories but it is not sustainable long term for me. it makes my hypothyroidism worse. having people look at my diary and blame it on the food I eat is counterproductive to my problem. a lot of people on here can fit in treats and fun things and still eat 1400 calories a day. my problem is when i attempt a deficit for any period of time, i have a big time fighting impulsivity and am constantly thinking about food, meals, calories, screwing up and hating myself, having no control. it isn't so simple as a paleo diet and any RD will tell you this as well. It's is a mental disorder. I think sugar makes it a TON worse, but I will overeat chicken breast a lot of times just because i don't have an "off" button. you can eat health y'all you want but if your calories eaten exceeds those burned, you gain weight. I definitely gain less when I eat "clean" but I still fight tooth and nail every day and have to fast for as long as I can take it just to get a 300-400 calorie deficit, sleep like *kitten*, pee all the time. it's screwed up.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    charkelsey wrote: »
    Thank you for this. Did you find it hard to get prescribed? I am going to book an appointment but I currently don't see a psychiatrist so I am not sure that I will be able to get it so quickly. However I am trying so hard every day to fight the impulsivity that comes with my ridiculous appetite. I will never be able to achieve a deficit at this rate without something. I can easily overeat my TDEE by 1000+ calories unless I am stuffing myself with veggies for the majority of my calories and while some may think this is healthy that is just not normal. i should be able to eat a normal sized meal and feel full without having to go through bags of cauliflower and coleslaw after a normal meal.
    Thank you for your experience. I'd heard both good and bad things about it. How long have you been on it if you don't mind me asking?
    Your question related to Vyvanse- I was binge eating alot at night and went on this drug and it has helped me tremendously and i have lost weight as a result of not night time binging. It has been an awesome drug for myself and I have not suffered any bad side effects. I got them from my psychiatrist so make sure you talk to your doctor about this but for me, it was a miracle drug.
    I have been on it about 6 months, he did have to keep increasing my dose because you do get tolerant to it, but the current dose I am on (70mg) has worked great. I have nothing but good things to say about this drug for binge eating.

I'd really like to see what you are eating. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Sorry just saw this. You have to understand that it's not "what i'm eating" that fixes the problem. I've tried and stayed consistent with various types of diets and this further exacerbates the problem. I can eat a "bro" diet and my calories will be less than say eating processed food, but maintaining a deficit is extremely difficult. I usually eat around TDEE if I chew gum, chug a lot of water, eat bland chicken breast, tons of vegetables, pee all day 2-3x an hour, some nuts and maybe an egg. lower carb helps lower calories but it is not sustainable long term for me. it makes my hypothyroidism worse. having people look at my diary and blame it on the food I eat is counterproductive to my problem. a lot of people on here can fit in treats and fun things and still eat 1400 calories a day. my problem is when i attempt a deficit for any period of time, i have a big time fighting impulsivity and am constantly thinking about food, meals, calories, screwing up and hating myself, having no control. it isn't so simple as a paleo diet and any RD will tell you this as well. It's is a mental disorder. I think sugar makes it a TON worse, but I will overeat chicken breast a lot of times just because i don't have an "off" button. you can eat health y'all you want but if your calories eaten exceeds those burned, you gain weight. I definitely gain less when I eat "clean" but I still fight tooth and nail every day and have to fast for as long as I can take it just to get a 300-400 calorie deficit, sleep like *kitten*, pee all the time. it's screwed up.
    Thank you for this. Did you find it hard to get prescribed? I am going to book an appointment but I currently don't see a psychiatrist so I am not sure that I will be able to get it so quickly. However I am trying so hard every day to fight the impulsivity that comes with my ridiculous appetite. I will never be able to achieve a deficit at this rate without something. I can easily overeat my TDEE by 1000+ calories unless I am stuffing myself with veggies for the majority of my calories and while some may think this is healthy that is just not normal. i should be able to eat a normal sized meal and feel full without having to go through bags of cauliflower and coleslaw after a normal meal.
    Thank you for your experience. I'd heard both good and bad things about it. How long have you been on it if you don't mind me asking?
    Your question related to Vyvanse- I was binge eating alot at night and went on this drug and it has helped me tremendously and i have lost weight as a result of not night time binging. It has been an awesome drug for myself and I have not suffered any bad side effects. I got them from my psychiatrist so make sure you talk to your doctor about this but for me, it was a miracle drug.
    I have been on it about 6 months, he did have to keep increasing my dose because you do get tolerant to it, but the current dose I am on (70mg) has worked great. I have nothing but good things to say about this drug for binge eating.

I'd really like to see what you are eating. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Wow- I seriously have such a similar struggle and everything you just typed I have experienced in some way or close shape or form.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    YES. helps to know i'm not the only person on this earth with this struggle. :-/
    sarsather wrote: »

Wow- I seriously have such a similar struggle and everything you just typed I have experienced in some way or close shape or form.
  • Karoger87
    Karoger87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, I was diagnosed at 20 and i'm 29 now. I have been on synthroid this whole time. Last year my primary doctor let me try Armour and it made my intracranial hypertension worse.. i just couldn't do it and had to stop at 5 days of excruciating pain. I recently found a doctor who actually knows more about the thyroid than me, and she is wonderful. She prescribed Nature throid which I have wanted to try for 3 years (doctor hate prescribing dessicated thyroid hormone), It's been all of 19 days, and i've already lost 9lbs! Believe me when I say that I have tried multiple diets, eating great and being very very active. I always get burnt out and then give up. I have more energy now. My vitamin D and B12 levels were severly low, So i'm on supplements for that also. :D
  • Karoger87
    Options
    I have noticed that with the new thyroid med and supplements that I'm not as hungry. I have a lot less cravings for sugar (always been a HUGE problem for me), less cravings for processed carbs (bread, cereal).
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Ok this is definitely interesting!! I am on 120 mg of armour and after i take it it makes me RAVENOUS. i thought it was just because it is my metabolism picking back up from being hypothyroid. I lost weight initially on it because my calories were low when my thyroid tanked a year ago...not too low but in the 1500-1650 range with intense exercise. I am wondering if Naturethroid is better? Definitely get burned out a lot but even when eating right it is a lot of effort to keep my intake down to a level to achieve slow weight loss.
    Karoger87 wrote: »
    I have noticed that with the new thyroid med and supplements that I'm not as hungry. I have a lot less cravings for sugar (always been a HUGE problem for me), less cravings for processed carbs (bread, cereal).
  • Karoger87
    Options
    Here are the tests your doctor should be doing..http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork/ if they are unwilling to do these tests or refuse to let you try nature throid, find a new doctor. I've spent too many years letting people tell me that "synthroid is the best". I've read on stop the thyroid madness that Armour was reformulated years ago, and before they reformulated it, it used to be really good!