So what is it that some succeed and others fail?

Options

Replies

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Agree with @ninerbuff ... it really is just the acceptance, the commitment to making the change. You have to be committed to *anything* that's hard.
  • katyjay2014
    katyjay2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree on it being totally mental. For me, I just ran out of excuses and was honest enough with myself to admit it. I knew I didn't want to be overweight my whole life so I figured I may as well start now. I had kept track of some tools that I had learned of over the years (MFP being one of them) so I dusted them off and got to work! 60 of 80lbs later and I've never looked back...!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    For me it was taking control of my life. I felt it was out of hands how my career was heading, chainges at work and other stuff. I just got mad at myself for being complacent and just 'accepting' that other were deciding my destiny. So I grabbed hold of the one thing I could control; me.
    It was totally a mental thing and it has worked. My life is turning around the way I want it turned. I am in charge of me, nobody else is.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    For me I felt I wasn't living up to my full potential being a fat slob treating my body like a garbage dump.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    nowolga wrote: »
    Successful people fail.
    The difference is they never quit.
    You can take away all the wealth of a successful person and place then in a foreign country but in time they will build that wealth up again.
    Success is something that starts within.
    It can't be taken away.
    It isn't shaken or moved by its surroundings.
    Don't be like the millions of people that say
    "Yeah I always wanted to be _______ I tried it but it didn't work because it's just not for me..."
    Successful people fail
    But they Don't stay there.
    they get keep getting themselves up and keep moving forward despite the taunts and negativity around them.
    You may not have the skills, knowledge or great genetics as other people.
    But with consistant hard work and determination you can be on a level playing field and
    Nothing can stop you reaching your goal!

Never quit
    Never surrender
    Never say die

I love this response.

Best thing I've read on the internet in ages
  • WehttamThims
    WehttamThims Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Tara4boys wrote: »
    Change happens when the pain of staying the same exceeds that of making a change.

Pain vs Pleasure. Every decision we make is driven by one of these two things, the desire to avoid pain or the desire to gain pleasure

For more information watch this video starting at 30:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKCUOGFkOhQ
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Consistent work
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Willpower and a strong desire and almost fear of being being fat along with all the problems (social, mental and physical) that come along with it.
  • kdwellis
    kdwellis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I attempted to lose weight in the past doing arbitrary gym work without a specific weight-loss program. I failed miserably. it is ONLY when i started searching for answers, that i discovered that i had to have a definite strategy for weight loss incorporating BOTH exercise (weights and cardio) and diet. I started seeing results immediately. Myfitnesspal is playing a huge role in keeping me on track in my effort to lose weight and to tone up. Believe it or not, there are many people out there who, just like "the old me", know absolutely nothing about losing weight.
  • nursecasg
    nursecasg Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know for me and the things I have accomplished in my life, the secret key has always been commitment. I can either be committed to something or interested in something. And the cool thing for me is that I know if I am committed to something by asking myself if I am willing to do whatever it takes in all ways on all days. If I am really honest with myself I know the answer. I am sure there are other mental preparations that go into it prior to this, but I can't really say what they are for sure. I do know that I am two months in and 27.3 down.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Lots of good answers here and lots of different answers. That's why I love MFP. If I've had any success it's mostly because I finally learned here that there is more than one way to lose weight. And there are other goals besides just losing weight that are important if you care about how you look and feel. Being open-minded and interested in learning new ways of doing things from other people and then being patient enough to figure out what works and work for my own life has been pretty important, too.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think for me it helped that I had been there before. Being overweight was only a brief and temporary part of my life. Losing weight was just a matter of returning to how things were before.

That and ... I wasn't ready to be old yet. I wanted to be able to do the things I used to do when I was in my 30s and early 40s. :)
  • caroannv
    caroannv Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    TnZMom wrote: »
    If you mess up one day, do better the next.

Ask yourself, do you want to reach your goal, or not?

Basically, don't stop.

This sums it up for me! Be determined. Then be determined again the next day. And remember not to settle for "good enough".
  • jbatinker
    jbatinker Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I realized I had to do this for ME and no one else. Only when you are ready to put yourself first will it stick.
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight with MFP and succeeding ... Even if it's a small success

Realizing it's Possible and within your Control!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    The people who are successful got all their failures out of the way early.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!