food before bed.... :/

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I guess I grew being told you would gain weight if you eat 2 hours or less before bed.. that you don't burn any of the calories and it turns to fat.. ?

BS alert ..no that is not true ...

eat whenever you want, unless you have a hard time going to bed on a full stomach ....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Try to eat a good breakfast for a good week. It's just a rhythm that you made to eat at night and then not be hungry in the morning. I used to be the same but turned it around. Maybe the time you eat has nothing to do with weight loss, but studies show (I'll look up the links if you really want to) that there is a correlation between people that skip breakfast and people that are overweight.

more BS alert ...

If that is the case then how do people do IF, skip breakfast, and lose weight..

I skipped breakfast for about 8 months and leaned out and lost about 1% body fat ....

please do post the links...and hopefully they are not from "yahoo answers"
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Try to eat a good breakfast for a good week. It's just a rhythm that you made to eat at night and then not be hungry in the morning. I used to be the same but turned it around. Maybe the time you eat has nothing to do with weight loss, but studies show (I'll look up the links if you really want to) that there is a correlation between people that skip breakfast and people that are overweight.

This is very true, especially for women. When people skip breakfast (break the fast), our bodies go into a "famine mode" and will store every calorie we consume whether it needs it or not. Once you start feeding your body more regularly and stop restricting yourself from eating during the day, the night binges will stop. Tell yourself it's okay to eat. You will lose weight easier if eat small meals several times a day as opposed to one or two big meals.

are you just making this stuff up?

meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism...if you have one large meal or break it up into six meals the metabolic benefit is the same....

OP ignore this...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

When people skip breakfast (break the fast), our bodies go into a "famine mode" and will store every calorie we consume whether it needs it or not. Once you start feeding your body more regularly and stop restricting yourself from eating during the day, the night binges will stop. Tell yourself it's okay to eat. You will lose weight easier if eat small meals several times a day as opposed to one or two big meals.

^ This is entirely false. You do not accumulate fat in an energy deficit. You do not start "storing fat" because you skipped a meal. Skipping breakfast may lead to weight gain only if it causes someone to over-consume calories later in the day.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Eat when you want, unless it effects your sleeping. I eat my biggest meal right before I go to sleep, and rarely eat breakfast. I found if I eat breakfast then I'm hungry all day long.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options

I would love to see these studies...

No seriously... please I really do want to see them.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you could work out right after you eat, but you don't burn the calories that you just consumed. ever.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

sorry, but plenty of people, including myself do not eat breakfast early in the day.

I drink coffee in the morning, and dont break my fast until somewhere between noon and around 1:30pm.

It has worked well for me. I love it because i enjoy eating more later in the day.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

no..... just no.....
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

no..... just no.....

:flowerforyou:
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you want easy to follow times, go with leangains.com. Not only does IT FREAKING ROCK, but it will force times on you which are pretty specific.
  • mjschumacher100
    Options

There are actually studies that show that people who skip breakfast may be more prone to obesity. Eg http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2013/06/03/dc13-0316.abstract However, and this is a BIG however, these are correlation, not causation.

So the study is useless. Other than as an academic bit of fun.
  • mjschumacher100
    Options
    Oh good lord why did I just post that link, these forums are mad enough as it is without people jumping on that, not understanding it and now gorging 90% of their food at breakfast. Sweet Jesus.

Just for clarity, EAT WHENEVER YOU LIKE.
  • bigjoost
    bigjoost Posts: 53
    Options

When 30% of the population is obese studies can show correlation between every thing you can think of. I could run one right now that says if you put your right shoe on first then you are more likely to die fat.

Not true if you have a control group like the studies I am talking about. I am not saying you WILL be fat if you skip breakfast. I am saying the results showed more obese people skipped breakfast.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'll trade breakfast for a bedtime snack any day! Oh, I do... and am a much leaner and happier person because of it! Eat when you want.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options

I would be interested to see these studies, if they are pukka.
  • bigjoost
    Options

There are actually studies that show that people who skip breakfast may be more prone to obesity. Eg http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2013/06/03/dc13-0316.abstract However, and this is a BIG however, these are correlation, not causation.

So the study is useless. Other than as an academic bit of fun.

Yes this is one of the ones I was talking about. I am not an expert but for me eating a good breakfast and not eating as much at night (related to each other obviously) make for a much healthier routine. Since my breakfast is usually much healthier and in a much better portion than my late night snacks. Thanks for the article it would have been hard to find exactly this one again maybe.
  • bigjoost
    Options

more BS alert ...

If that is the case then how do people do IF, skip breakfast, and lose weight..

I skipped breakfast for about 8 months and leaned out and lost about 1% body fat ....

please do post the links...and hopefully they are not from "yahoo answers"

One doesn't exclude the other. If it worked for you, all the better, congrats on the results, you look great.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

This is very true, especially for women. When people skip breakfast (break the fast), our bodies go into a "famine mode" and will store every calorie we consume whether it needs it or not. ... You will lose weight easier if eat small meals several times a day as opposed to one or two big meals.

Not true. Not even a little bit.
  • luckyroot
    luckyroot Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've always believe in "starvation mode" because many times when I UPPED my calorie intake, I lost better. But your comment about proof made me look up the topic, and I found this article that I thought was very interesting:

http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/truth-starvation-mode