Open Diaries

Options
13»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, partly so people dont have to friend me to see my dairy, and because i feel if I'm going to give advice on here about healthy food choices, exercise, macros whatever, then it's important not to hide my food choices.

As for judgments.. I once got a message chastising me for not eating enough veggies and drinking too much milk, which is probably true on both counts lol
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So- is it just me but all of you who say you have open diaries, when I click on your profile it says diary is private. Is this just an in app thing? I'm being nosy but honestly trying to figure this whole food thing out and definitely not ready to share my diary our there.. am I supposed to request a friend? Sorry- newbie here...
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    emilk2016 wrote: »
    So- is it just me but all of you who say you have open diaries, when I click on your profile it says diary is private. Is this just an in app thing? I'm being nosy but honestly trying to figure this whole food thing out and definitely not ready to share my diary our there.. am I supposed to request a friend? Sorry- newbie here...

Ha! You made me go check my settings! Yup, mine's public :smile:
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I wish it was a requirement to keep all diaries open. Then you could see who is being honest and who is not. If you are doing what you are supposed to be doing and the weight is coming off, then you have nothing to be ashamed of.[/quot

I think logging is a win in itself ( Open or closed ) and if you eat over and gain weight at least you know why
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    I wish it was a requirement to keep all diaries open. Then you could see who is being honest and who is not. If you are doing what you are supposed to be doing and the weight is coming off, then you have nothing to be ashamed of.

And how would you know that the person was being honest just by looking at his/her diary? Just because they logged a particular food doesn't mean that they actually had it.

Food diaries are very personal; some people may like to share it and others not, and we have no right, nor does MFP, to require or even suggest that members kept an open diary for everybody to see.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    emilk2016 wrote: »

I can't see open diaries from the app either. You have to go in through your computer.

Speaking of... I once got drilled for having my diary closed in a similar thread as this one. But that charming person was on the app, so couldn't access my diary, it looked
    like it was set to private.
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I wish it was a requirement to keep all diaries open. Then you could see who is being honest and who is not. If you are doing what you are supposed to be doing and the weight is coming off, then you have nothing to be ashamed of.

And how would you know that the person was being honest just by looking at his/her diary? Just because they logged a particular food doesn't mean that they actually had it.

Food diaries are very personal; some people may like to share it and others not, and we have no right, nor does MFP, to require or even suggest that members kept an open diary for everybody to see.

True, but how many times do you see someone seeking help on weight loss in these threads, wondering why they're not losing anything, and they have to be asked to make their diary public? Also, there are some on here--and I'm not naming any names--who have been on this website for years, and like to give advice and bring out their pitchforks on others, but haven't logged any diary entries for weeks (or keep them private) and lost a total of maybe 10 pounds out of 80 or more. I don't think that's fair to people who are new here and really seeking help.

What exactly is the big deal about people seeing what food you eat? The majority of us here are either overweight or obese. It's no secret. Do you eat every meal in private where no one can see you? It's obvious that our eating habits over time are what caused us to get to where we are today in the first place.

I just find it ironic that we are on a website seeking help with weight loss where it is agreed that 80%+ of it involves your diet, and yet we don't want anyone to know what we are eating.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    To be honest, and I'm speaking myself only, not anyone else.. The only reason i would keep my diary closed is if i was embarrassed by my food choices and didn't want anyone else to see them.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Well I think if you're going to ask for help you need to let people see your diary or the advice you get will be based on guesswork and pretty much worthless. Beyond that whether or not you keep your diary public is a personal decision and really only relevant if you're advocating others eat or track the way you do, in which case yes it should be open.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

True, but how many times do you see someone seeking help on weight loss in these threads, wondering why they're not losing anything, and they have to be asked to make their diary public? Also, there are some on here--and I'm not naming any names--who have been on this website for years, and like to give advice and bring out their pitchforks on others, but haven't logged any diary entries for weeks (or keep them private) and lost a total of maybe 10 pounds out of 80 or more. I don't think that's fair to people who are new here and really seeking help.

What exactly is the big deal about people seeing what food you eat? The majority of us here are either overweight or obese. It's no secret. Do you eat every meal in private where no one can see you? It's obvious that our eating habits over time are what caused us to get to where we are today in the first place.

I just find it ironic that we are on a website seeking help with weight loss where it is agreed that 80%+ of it involves your diet, and yet we don't want anyone to know what we are eating.

Point taken, but as Christine said "To be honest, and I'm speaking for myself only, not anyone else.. " I prefer, to keep my diary closed and not because I am embarrassed (in maintenance for over 6 years) but because what I eat is my business and nobody else. Since by choice I have no friends in MFP then I see no reason to disclose my eating habits to the whole community.

But I understand that if somebody needs help losing weight, seeing their diary and offering recommendations is a good thing. If you don't ask for help, keeping your diary close is also a good thing and a matter of preference. :)