Options
13»

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    @RebeccaNaegle glad that you understood what I was looking for lol I swear every time I post anything on here everyone has to pick apart what I am asking because I didn't say it correctly haha
    I am new to macros but I know I would have to find sweets that would fit my macros

Also, The irony of this is that the poster you are thanking offered the least "clean" suggestions of the entire thread, which is why it's not a very helpful term to begin with. I enjoy all the same suggestions that she made so I'm not criticizing them, but this is why it would be helpful if you shared your definition of clean. I can give dessert suggestions all day long but macro friendly and clean without knowing what you're looking for is a bit difficult.

I think she was wanting clean as far as good for the macros goes. I am guessing something easy on the macros and easy to make. She said clean"er" so I assume she is wanting dessert but something that is "friendlier" to her macro diet, which I took it as being lower in carb/fat etc. Cleaner as far as the caloric intake.

Huh. I actually haven't heard "clean" in reference to macros or calories, but again, there are about as many definitions of that word as there are posters in this thread so far. I'm not a clean eater or an IIFYM person so I didn't have much to offer to begin with, but I love dessert so if OP gives more clarification on what she's looking for I am happy to contribute.

I've seen it used as a synonym for "better choices" or "fits in my diet" a couple of times. I think I have it on my list somewhere. "Clean" has really lost all meaning in some corners of the diet world and just means "better ...because reasons."

And it would be helpful to know if that's what the OP meant. I have a ton of dessert ideas but they all include processed foods like Greek yogurt, so I stayed out of this thread.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    @RebeccaNaegle glad that you understood what I was looking for lol I swear every time I post anything on here everyone has to pick apart what I am asking because I didn't say it correctly haha
    I am new to macros but I know I would have to find sweets that would fit my macros

Also, The irony of this is that the poster you are thanking offered the least "clean" suggestions of the entire thread, which is why it's not a very helpful term to begin with. I enjoy all the same suggestions that she made so I'm not criticizing them, but this is why it would be helpful if you shared your definition of clean. I can give dessert suggestions all day long but macro friendly and clean without knowing what you're looking for is a bit difficult.

I think she was wanting clean as far as good for the macros goes. I am guessing something easy on the macros and easy to make. She said clean"er" so I assume she is wanting dessert but something that is "friendlier" to her macro diet, which I took it as being lower in carb/fat etc. Cleaner as far as the caloric intake.

Huh. I actually haven't heard "clean" in reference to macros or calories, but again, there are about as many definitions of that word as there are posters in this thread so far. I'm not a clean eater or an IIFYM person so I didn't have much to offer to begin with, but I love dessert so if OP gives more clarification on what she's looking for I am happy to contribute.

I would definitely say I am more of a IIFYM dieter, but I just threw my ideas to her because I try to fit desserts in my macros all of the time. and most of the websites I mentioned are very healthy and on the cleaner side. Made fresh and shipped overnight or 2-3 day air, need refrigerated, and only last a week or so unless you are freezing them. No preservatives etc. Definitely "cleaner" than typical 700-800 calorie desserts... But clean eaters count macros too, so I am not sure why you haven't heard clean in reference to macros or calories before?

When people on MFP ask about advice for "clean eating" they usually are asking for foods that fit any number of definitions like in the OP of this thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1

Usually in the context of trying to avoid something they deem as "bad" like "processed foods" or "foods with chemicals" but with no real clear understanding of how prevalent processing and chemicals are in EVERY food we eat which is commercially available.

I'm not saying that clean eating and IIFYM are mutually exclusive, just that the common requests for advice around clean eating don't pertain to macros or calories. This is why I asked OP for some clarity on what her definition of "clean" is and what her macro split is, where she feels she needs to focus her efforts.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

At least this highlights how "clean" doesn't have a common definition. But Rebecca's definition clearly matches the OP's.

I just took her request as an idea thread for calorie/macro friendly desserts. I am not a "clean" eater and do not claim to be. I don't think the body cares if your carbs come from a pop tart or a sweet potato. So eat what I want, in moderation. I definitely wasn't trying to say my ideas fit in the "clean" category.

Nobody else in here managed to guess what was meant with "clean" and "macro friendly". You have psychic superpowers :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I would definitely say I am more of a IIFYM dieter, but I just threw my ideas to her because I try to fit desserts in my macros all of the time. and most of the websites I mentioned are very healthy and on the cleaner side. Made fresh and shipped overnight or 2-3 day air, need refrigerated, and only last a week or so unless you are freezing them. No preservatives etc. Definitely "cleaner" than typical 700-800 calorie desserts... But clean eaters count macros too, so I am not sure why you haven't heard clean in reference to macros or calories before?

Clean usually means not or less processed, nothing out of a package, stuff like that. Sometimes it has to do with additives, sometimes it relates to sticking to a particular diet (plant-based or paleo or raw). "Clean eaters" may count macros or calories, but they wouldn't normally consider a food "clean" just because it fits their macros or is low cal, and they would normally acknowledge that foods of any macros and any number of calories can be clean. Nuts are high cal, but I've never heard anyone claim they are not "clean."

I'm not sure why a typical dessert would be 700-800 calories? My chocolate chip cookie recipe in my recipe box (which I'd assume is unclean, because it uses sugar and various other processed ingredients, like flour) is 180 calories per cookie, I believe (something like that). The cookies at one local lunch place are the same (and also pretend "clean") whereas another place has a 300 cal (big) cookie. More significantly, since I rarely eat cookies, the chocolate bars at a local place are around 180 calories, and you can get small chocolate squares for something like 50 calories. My favorite dessert is ice cream, which is around 200-250, and you can get lower cal versions, such as frozen yogurt or coconut milk based options or the WF brand gelato or sorbets (or the Halo Top that everyone keeps talking about lately) for less. Eh, not a big thing, just something that struck me.

Anyway, I'm glad that you divvied what OP meant, and this just shows that "clean" increasingly means absolutely nothing.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Clean usually means not or less processed, nothing out of a package, stuff like that. Sometimes it has to do with additives, sometimes it relates to sticking to a particular diet (plant-based or paleo or raw). "Clean eaters" may count macros or calories, but they wouldn't normally consider a food "clean" just because it fits their macros or is low cal, and they would normally acknowledge that foods of any macros and any number of calories can be clean. Nuts are high cal, but I've never heard anyone claim they are not "clean."

I'm not sure why a typical dessert would be 700-800 calories? My chocolate chip cookie recipe in my recipe box (which I'd assume is unclean, because it uses sugar and various other processed ingredients, like flour) is 180 calories per cookie, I believe (something like that). The cookies at one local lunch place are the same (and also pretend "clean") whereas another place has a 300 cal (big) cookie. More significantly, since I rarely eat cookies, the chocolate bars at a local place are around 180 calories, and you can get small chocolate squares for something like 50 calories. My favorite dessert is ice cream, which is around 200-250, and you can get lower cal versions, such as frozen yogurt or coconut milk based options or the WF brand gelato or sorbets (or the Halo Top that everyone keeps talking about lately) for less. Eh, not a big thing, just something that struck me.

Anyway, I'm glad that you divvied what OP meant, and this just shows that "clean" increasingly means absolutely nothing.

Yeah I know what clean eating is, no I don't do it. I couldn't live off of nuts, avocado, chicken, sweet potatoes... basic fresh food etc. I like sweets, chips and junk etc too much to give them up. I just eat the "junk" in moderation.... But I was just saying even clean eaters count carbs fats etc. Even if it is grilled chicken breast and sweet potatoes, usually they still count out macros. But when she said "cleaner" I just took it to mean lower calorie and macro friendly. When I gave my definition of a typical dessert I was referring to the common calorie rich type at restaurants.

I am not trying to argue with anyone here, I know the OP isn't looking for actual "clean" desserts, Had she said CLEAN and not "cleaner"... My only advice would of been fruit because I would think fruit would be one of the only sweet, "clean" foods around. I just took her word "cleaner" to mean lighter, and more macro friendly.

WinoGelato I do agree with your last post.

And kommodevaran - haha. I just assumed it was the type of foods I eat, and threw my ideas out there. Cant hurt to give people ideas right?
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt cookie dough: greek yogurt, peanut butter, tsp vanilla, honey or stevia, topped with a few mini chocolate chips.

May sound gross, but I like cottage cheese with PB and lots of pumpkin pie spice. I eat that almost every night.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've shared these before, I'll share them again. There are two fabulous, rich desserts made with whipped cream - Cranachan (traditional Scottish) where the cream is layered with raspberries, honey, whisky (optional) and toasted oatmeal*; and Eton Mess (traditional English), where it is layered with strawberries and crushed meringue.

Both of these are fabulous made with Greek yoghurt instead of cream, and can of course be mixed and matched. Some version of this is a very popular dessert on our house and fits pretty easily in my eating plan.

(*oatmeal or rolled oats will do, just toast them in a dry pan until brown. Sounds like an odd thing to add to a dessert, but you won't believe how good it is until you try it. Toasted flaked almonds are another good addition.)
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Mmm cranachan.

I like wholemeal toast with peanut butter and sliced strawberries and/or banana
    Baked banana oatmeal (I usually have it for breakfast, but it'd work as a dessert too. Baked in a pan and when you flip it out it's like a big pancake, and then I top it with yogurt, chopped fruit, etc)
    Protein shakes
    Yogurt, fruit, nuts, mini chocolate chips
    Baked apples with cinnamon and pecans or almonds

But I'm also an IIFYM eater. Tonight I had salted caramel almond dream ice cream with a crushed chocolate digestive on top. Yesterday I had the same but with maple peanut butter on top. Delicious.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I havent read all the suggestions, so forgive me if this has already been posted. But my favourite dessert is

300g yogurt mixed with 50g choc/peanut butter casein powder. Top with cottage cheese and raspberries.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm still confused. No, more confused. How can we say fits her macro diet when we don't know what her macro split is?

I eat all kinds of sweet treats, often more than one a day and it has minimal impact on any of my macros other than fiber (which I am still trying to make easier to hit) but I hit my protein and fat without even trying so everything else is just dandy in that respect.

As an aside, why did it never occur to me to make Cranochan or Eton Mess with Greek yoghurt? So doing that.
  • Electric_Warfare
    Electric_Warfare Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1 banana +1 egg.
    Mix and mash it up all together then fry in pan like you would if making pancakes.