Is peanut butter good for you?

Options

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Its healthy for me. For my kid who is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts, no. Not healthy.

I say this about coconuts, great for 2/3 of my family. I and my oldest are allergic.
  • hokiemom14
    hokiemom14 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    hokiemom14 wrote: »
    I guess I'm in the minority, but I say no...it's not good for you. It has added sugar in it so if you are looking for just a filling snack I would be much more inclined to say buy a jar of almond butter which has no added sugar. It offers the same satisfaction and is great on apples and celery. It is more expensive, but if you are truly eating a serving a day then it will still last you a good bit of time. Of course you could make it fit into your day calorie wise if you really wanted to, but it's still not a great food for you. Just my opinion, but I am of the camp of clean eating. I really eat 95% of foods that contain no added sugars and perservatives and foods where I can read every ingredient on the list ;)

Umm, I have bought pb with no added sugar and almond and cashew butter with added sugar. TBH, if the added sugar is granulated cane sugar or honey, I don't mind it. I don't think nut butters need it, though. My opinion, I am not against you eating the way that works for you.

Yup, you are absolutely correct. There are definitely peanut butters without added sugar (many more people buy just regular peanut butter and may not be in the know what the label reads). That was really my only point in saying that. I should have clarified better, but it was late and was just trying to simply give my opinion to the original poster. I prefer almonds over peanuts when being used for nutrition. Again, I know I'm in the minority and that's ok. I was just giving someone some info on what works for me and has worked for me for many years :)

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It's not good for everyone but it's sure been good for me. I've been eating it on the regular for 50 years and been healthy the whole time.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm in the minority, but I say no...it's not good for you. It has added sugar in it so if you are looking for just a filling snack I would be much more inclined to say buy a jar of almond butter which has no added sugar. It offers the same satisfaction and is great on apples and celery. It is more expensive, but if you are truly eating a serving a day then it will still last you a good bit of time. Of course you could make it fit into your day calorie wise if you really wanted to, but it's still not a great food for you. Just my opinion, but I am of the camp of clean eating. I really eat 95% of foods that contain no added sugars and perservatives and foods where I can read every ingredient on the list ;)

So peanut butter is not clean but almond butter is clean? Lol!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

If only someone sold peanut butter without added sugar.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

So we can assume you don't eat bananas.
  • hokiemom14
    Options

Those words never came out of my mouth. In my other responses I have clearly said that of course there is peanut butter without added sugar. I prefer almonds over peanuts. Not sure why such the negative tone from everyone about my very simple opinion of peanuts. I do not judge any other person on how and what they eat and choose to be supportive over others diets. I am by far not the only person who chooses almonds over peanuts.

• GitRDone57
    GitRDone57 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter is excellent for the heart...1 tablespoon a day
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

This is a good example of why I worded my one-dimensional advice the way I did. It doesn't fit everyone's goals and that's okay. I'd even suggest you aren't in the minority you think you are. Lots of people cut peanut butter for lots of reasons. I don't keep it around right now because I don't find the calories worth the trouble I have moderating it. But I personally prefer not to give the impression that I'm pushing my own choices or goals onto someone else. Personal goals are important.
  • hokiemom14
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

Those words never came out of my mouth. In my other responses I have clearly said that of course there is peanut butter without added sugar. I prefer almonds over peanuts. Not sure why such the negative tone from everyone about my very simple opinion of peanuts. I do not judge any other person on how and what they eat and choose to be supportive over others diets. I am by far not the only person who chooses almonds over peanuts.

Because you said "it's not good for you," a statement that projects onto others your personal opinion. "It's not good for me" would have been more appropriate.

Wow! Lots of hate over 1 word. If you're asking me, I say that I don't think peanut butter is that good for you and I also mentioned the diet I follow. However, if it keeps the haters away then yes, I suppose I should have said "me". Btw, everyone seemed to give their personal opinion. Mine was just in the minority lol.
  • hokiemom14
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Given the diet I follow, I would keep bananas on the list of not eating all the time HOWEVER, I'm a long distance runner who runs marathons, ultras, long distance relays, and participates in high intensity workouts, etc. So in that case bananas are actually fine for me and don't cause unnecessary weight gain.
  • J72FIT
    edited July 2016
    Options

Because you said "it's not good for you," a statement that projects onto others your personal opinion. "It's not good for me" would have been more appropriate.

Wow! Lots of hate over 1 word. If you're asking me, I say that I don't think peanut butter is that good for you and I also mentioned the diet I follow. However, if it keeps the haters away then yes, I suppose I should have said "me". Btw, everyone seemed to give their personal opinion. Mine was just in the minority lol.

Hate? Reaction maybe, hate, don't think so. Your statement, "it's not good for you", is incorrect, and people called you out on it. What's the problem?
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Given the diet I follow, I would keep bananas on the list of not eating all the time HOWEVER, I'm a long distance runner who runs marathons, ultras, long distance relays, and participates in high intensity workouts, etc. So in that case bananas are actually fine for me and don't cause unnecessary weight gain.

How would a banana cause unnecessary weight gain?
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Mine was just in the minority lol.

Yours was just incorrect...

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

If OP asks if peanut butter (let's assume unsweetened) is healthy or not and you claim it is unhealthy, falling back on "well, I prefer almonds" isn't really a good reason. You made a fact claim and can't support it.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

No hate involved. And you shouldn't be so sensitive. I was just pointing out why you got the response you did. You need to lighten up. If you're going to post on here you need to realize your comments are fair game and not take it so personal if people disagree with you.
  • hokiemom14
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

If OP asks if peanut butter (let's assume unsweetened) is healthy or not and you claim it is unhealthy, falling back on "well, I prefer almonds" isn't really a good reason. You made a fact claim and can't support it.

It is absolutely supported by the diet I follow. Most people following a paleo/whole 30 diet are not eating peanuts. End of story lol.
  • J72FIT
    Options

It is absolutely supported by the diet I follow. Most people following a paleo/whole 30 diet are not eating peanuts. End of story lol.

The diet you follow has no bearing on the healthfulness of lack thereof in regards to peanut butter...