• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Cockroach milk?!?!?!?

Nope, I'll pass.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I have a phobia of hard-shelled insects, so not clicking that link, but I sorta want to know how you would milk a cockroach. Is it like milking an almond?
  • Bee_Le
    Bee_Le Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'll pass too! Holy crap, lol
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    For the curious:
    Although most cockroaches don’t actually produce milk, Diploptera punctate, which is the only known cockroach to give birth to live young, has been shown to pump out a type of ‘milk’ containing protein crystals to feed its babies.

The fact that an insect produces milk is pretty fascinating – but what fascinated researchers is the fact that a single one of these protein crystals contains more than three times the amount of energy found in an equivalent amount of buffalo milk (which is also higher in calories then dairy milk).

Clearly milking a cockroach isn’t the most feasible option, so an international team of scientists headed by researchers from the Institute of Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine in India decided to sequence the genes responsible for producing the milk protein crystals to see if they could somehow replicate them in the lab.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm just going to refer back to John Oliver's science reporting segment and assume this is a crock. Unless it could save my life, no freaking way.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I don't think I will replace my coffee mate just yet.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hey, at least we'll have a fresh milk supply during nuclear winter

Touche
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Stoooop. I'm not even looking. A cockroach was practically chasing me down the street yesterday. I hate hate hate them.
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    No thank you pvuc9gmsjbkv.gif
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm.....nope.

Seems like a treat for my beardies though. Apparently, flour made from crickets is a thing, too....And morio worms.
    I don't think my beardies would share, anyway.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    ...who even discovers these things?
  • AmberBlamberMamber
    AmberBlamberMamber Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What the actual kitten?!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    h311 to the no! Disgusting.