There's a new superfood on the block

Options

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    What about the baby cockroaches? What are they going to drink?

Cue PETA and naked girls painted as baby cockroaches . . . "Cockroach milk is for baby cockroaches"
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n791cgYK941sajjsko1_500.gif
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
  • nh201328
    nh201328 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh lol
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Is it vegan?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I wonder what people would think if you said:

protein crystal superfood suppliment. The crystals are like a complete food - they have proteins, fats and sugars. If you look into the protein sequences, they have all the essential amino acids.

Not only is the protein crystal superfood suppliment a dense source of calories and nutrients, it’s also time released. As the protein in the milk is digested, the crystal releases more protein at an equivalent rate to continue the digestion.

Now the researchers have the sequence, they are hoping to get yeast to produce the crystal in much larger quantities

This is great for food shortage (Starving) areas.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

protein crystal superfood suppliment. The crystals are like a complete food - they have proteins, fats and sugars. If you look into the protein sequences, they have all the essential amino acids.

Not only is the protein crystal superfood suppliment a dense source of calories and nutrients, it’s also time released. As the protein in the milk is digested, the crystal releases more protein at an equivalent rate to continue the digestion.

Now the researchers have the sequence, they are hoping to get yeast to produce the crystal in much larger quantities

I'd say that marketing mattes
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

Yep. The article relies on shock value to get clicks and shares, and I've purposefully left it alone to be clickbait fun. But the actual protein seems pretty useful if they can manufacture it in large quantities cheaply.

Plus it should be paleo friendly.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    For the curious:
    Although most cockroaches don’t actually produce milk, Diploptera punctate, which is the only known cockroach to give birth to live young, has been shown to pump out a type of ‘milk’ containing protein crystals to feed its babies.

The fact that an insect produces milk is pretty fascinating – but what fascinated researchers is the fact that a single one of these protein crystals contains more than three times the amount of energy found in an equivalent amount of buffalo milk (which is also higher in calories then dairy milk).

Clearly milking a cockroach isn’t the most feasible option, so an international team of scientists headed by researchers from the Institute of Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine in India decided to sequence the genes responsible for producing the milk protein crystals to see if they could somehow replicate them in the lab.

But but that's processing! Only natural organic cockroach protein crystals are clean.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Cockroaches scare the crap out of me. They are the thing of nightmares and if somehow they all go extinct because Indian scientists round them all up - every last one on the face of this planet - to glean milk out of them while figuring out how to recreate it I will be eternally grateful.

And I'm not coming back in this thread because inevitably some jerk will post a cockroach GIF and I won't sleep for weeks.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Is it vegan?

No, but it's definitely Paleo!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Happily, I don't drink milk. Call me if they start making cheese or greek yogurt out of it!

Seriously, I'm down with the idea of cricket protein powder, but this is way beyond my culinary adventurousness limit. Ugh.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You can buy cricket protein, there are cricket farms in operation in the US right now. Many many cultures around the world incorporate insects as a viable source of dietary protein.

http://www.ediblebugshop.com.au/p/8919994/cricket-protein-powder-200g.html
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I got a couple of Exo cricket protein bars because I was curious and I only had to pay shipping. Can't bring myself to try them.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    I got a couple of Exo cricket protein bars because I was curious and I only had to pay shipping. Can't bring myself to try them.

I just went online to order some for fun, but at 300 calories for 10 grams of protein they're more a fat and carbs bar
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

I just went online to order some for fun, but at 300 calories for 10 grams of protein they're more a fat and carbs bar

Ya, those are a bit of an interesting macro profile. Compared to the cricket protein powder I saw which in a 20g serving was 13g of protein, 1.9g of fat, 0.2 carbs and 76 calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ]
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    For the curious:
    Although most cockroaches don’t actually produce milk, Diploptera punctate, which is the only known cockroach to give birth to live young, has been shown to pump out a type of ‘milk’ containing protein crystals to feed its babies.

The fact that an insect produces milk is pretty fascinating – but what fascinated researchers is the fact that a single one of these protein crystals contains more than three times the amount of energy found in an equivalent amount of buffalo milk (which is also higher in calories then dairy milk).

Clearly milking a cockroach isn’t the most feasible option, so an international team of scientists headed by researchers from the Institute of Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine in India decided to sequence the genes responsible for producing the milk protein crystals to see if they could somehow replicate them in the lab.

But but that's processing! Only natural organic cockroach protein crystals are clean.

This was exactly my thought too. :)