Frustrated super taster

Options
2»

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    What about blending some into a smoothie with fruit? You can add greens like kale and spinach to a fruit smoothie and eliminate much of the perceived bitterness. The calories can add up a bit if you're using a lot of fruit and juice but at least you're getting the benefit of the micronutrients and fibre (for this reason, I'd choose smoothies over juicing.)

There are lots of recipes on the internet, or you can copy what smoothie places put in theirs. I'm obsessed with the Coco Plus in the link I mentioned, and because most of the liquid is coconut water you can make a large smoothie for under 200 calories.

You definitely should get some therapy for the issue in my opinion as it sounds like it's making your life pretty difficult, but in the meantime, something like this might help you get a little more nutrition in.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I am assuming you are at least 18 yo, since you've got your entire profile locked down so I can't verify for myself, and therefore are an adult.

If you don't like vegetables then don't eat them. Find something else that provides the macros you want without all the gagging and other unpleasant things you described. Embrace the fact you are not "normal" (whatever that means) and problem solve to find what does work for you versus letting the problem continue to cause you seemingly great emotional unhappiness and distress based on the words you selected to describe it.

Also, whoever told you potatoes aren't "good" for you, lied. Moralizing ones food is a slippery slope that frequently leads to disordered eating waiting with open arms at the bottom of it.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the label of being a "super taster". Same as the "foodie" people....

Interesting....
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    my husband doesnt love a lot of veggies just a few... everyday he uses the Vega One all in one nutritional powder. half dailys vitamins and 6 servings of greens. made with all fruits and veggies. might not be the same as "fresh" but it works for him here is the stats he blends it up with blueberries and spinach and calls is a day. ma7ilrkku98g.jpeg
  • MishaWest79
    MishaWest79 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I understand you, I really do! My Son struggled with so many types of foods but has been able to conquer most of his issues with textures/tastes and preferences.

I highly recommend seeing an Occupational Therapist as what you have there is Oral motor hypersensitive Sensory Processing Disorder, it is somewhat common and treatable to an extent so don't feel you have to keep on restricting yourself. The OT will treat your mouth by providing various input in order to normalise sensation. It sounds scary but it isn't, in fact some of the stimulation can have a very calming effect.

Until then yes to soup and try fruit smoothies with some added vegetable juice if you just can't do it have supplements until you see the OT.

Wishing you luck.