Options
    They also have them at Kroger in the health food refrigerated section
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    You can buy extremely low calorie noodles (like 15 cals a pack) called konnyaku, konjac or shirataki noodles. You can find them in east asian food stores.You may also be able to find them in health food stores, but they'll be way more expensive than in the asian supermarkets.

You can use those to substitute regular noodles in some dishes if you're really just craving a meal but can't afford the calories. The texture is a bit odd, but you can experiment with different cooking techniques to try to get a decent texture.

I eat these almost everyday.

I've not eaten them in quite a while as I've moved in with my mum until I get the keys to my new place in September, and there are no Asian supermarkets round here and buying them online is extortionate.

How do you cook them to get a better texture? Sometimes I find the texture to really ruin the dish, I just can't seem to get it right. (Though don't let that put others off trying, it's all relative to opinions I know some people love it).

Yeah I eat two bags at once. Like all the time. I don't care about the price. I used to get them at the Japanese grocery store and they were cheaper.

So I rinse, then squeeze the water out, then start dry frying. Since I use the tofu macaroni ones I think they retain more moisture than the typical Japanese noodle without tofu. I will drain them about 3 times throughout the dry frying process to get more water out. I add a couple wedges of laughing cow cheese to make a cheese sauce,then my meat.

Totally forgot about these noodles from back in the days when I used hungry girl recipes!

Can someone point me to their favorite protein fluff recipe they use?

There are sooo many variations on protein fluff.

Here are a few: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/protein-fluff-3-quick-and-easy-recipes.html

Here is the big bb.com protein fluff thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142169791

If I need to go super low calorie I make my base with water, a little ice, and SIX grams of xanthan gum, 20-30g of CASEIN powder. I know some say whey but casein really fluffs better. From there you can add fix ins depending on how many calories you want to spend (pumpkin, sugar free jello-mix, berries, powdered PB). You can also use milk or almond milk instead of water. Having crushed up ice in the mix helps the recipe turn out colder, and frozen berries tend to make a fluffier fluff.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Gena575 wrote: »
    If I'm honestly hungry I eat. And I check the calendar...usually I'm fixing to start.

Ditto. Never fails.
    I eat
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @arditarose how long do you mix your protein fluff for? Do you use a hand mixer? I've made mine without xanthan gum, what difference does it make?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm on a quest to make the perfect fluff!
  • angeladoyle3
    angeladoyle3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I make protein fluff. For 100-200 calories, you might not even be able to finish it.

Would you mind posting your recipe/instructions? I'm always looking for new ways to make my protein other than just shakes

• angeladoyle3
    angeladoyle3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Help! Every once in a while, I have a day like today.

I am literally a bottomless pit of hunger. I eat what I have planned and would normally satisfy me for hours and it's as if I haven't ingested a thing. I'm not thirsty, I'm not bored. I am ravenous.

ALL DAY LONG

What do you do when this happens to you?

If your not in the mood for sweets, a tomatoe, cucumber, red onion salad with red wine vinegar(0 cal) and a dash of salt and pepper is a super low calorie snack. I use this a lot if I find myself hungry inbetween meals. I love how much volume you can get with such a low amount of calories.... I'm all about volume eating

• spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've noticed a bit of a pattern with these days about what I ate the day before.

Yesterday I just wasn't particularly hungry and I was way under my calories (only had around 1,000, should have had 1,700) and today I am absolutely starving and wanting to go over.

So maybe have a look at what you're eating on the days leading up to 'hungry days' as well and whether you're getting enough?
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I had a day like this yesterday. My TDEE was 2400 for the day and I ended up eating probably close to 2000 calories when all was said and done and let me tell you, eating simple carbs was the reason why. So now I know to fill up on protein and fat rather than stuff like croissants, etc.
  • sprow1987
    sprow1987 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make protein fluff. For 100-200 calories, you might not even be able to finish it.

What is this protein fluff you speak of?!
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    You can buy extremely low calorie noodles (like 15 cals a pack) called konnyaku, konjac or shirataki noodles. You can find them in east asian food stores.You may also be able to find them in health food stores, but they'll be way more expensive than in the asian supermarkets.

You can use those to substitute regular noodles in some dishes if you're really just craving a meal but can't afford the calories. The texture is a bit odd, but you can experiment with different cooking techniques to try to get a decent texture.

I've not eaten them in quite a while as I've moved in with my mum until I get the keys to my new place in September, and there are no Asian supermarkets round here and buying them online is extortionate.

How do you cook them to get a better texture? Sometimes I find the texture to really ruin the dish, I just can't seem to get it right. (Though don't let that put others off trying, it's all relative to opinions I know some people love it).

Yeah I eat two bags at once. Like all the time. I don't care about the price. I used to get them at the Japanese grocery store and they were cheaper.

So I rinse, then squeeze the water out, then start dry frying. Since I use the tofu macaroni ones I think they retain more moisture than the typical Japanese noodle without tofu. I will drain them about 3 times throughout the dry frying process to get more water out. I add a couple wedges of laughing cow cheese to make a cheese sauce,then my meat.

Totally forgot about these noodles from back in the days when I used hungry girl recipes!

Can someone point me to their favorite protein fluff recipe they use?

Here are a few: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/protein-fluff-3-quick-and-easy-recipes.html

Here is the big bb.com protein fluff thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142169791

If I need to go super low calorie I make my base with water, a little ice, and SIX grams of xanthan gum, 20-30g of CASEIN powder. I know some say whey but casein really fluffs better. From there you can add fix ins depending on how many calories you want to spend (pumpkin, sugar free jello-mix, berries, powdered PB). You can also use milk or almond milk instead of water. Having crushed up ice in the mix helps the recipe turn out colder, and frozen berries tend to make a fluffier fluff.

THANKS! I will have to try this out.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Does starting to eat earlier make you more hungry all day?

Yes for me. I really struggle trying not to overeat when I have a long day.

I try to drink a ton of water, even if I'm not feeling thirsty, it helps keep it under control. Sometimes I can manage to just eat a ton of broccoli or something but other times I just have whatever and deal with it.

I've been doing this long enough to know that the scale lies during that time and it won't matter how high it goes, it will always come down. I actually lost over a pound this week on my TOM while I was stuffing my face full of cookies, crackers, nutella and bread and icecream. I try to leave some wiggle room during the week leading up to it that way if I happen to go nuts I will still be under my calories over all.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I have very heavy periods and during the worst part of it I feel like I want to keep shoving food back in to me. I'm not so much feeling hunger but depletion. This month I made sure I had lots of high volume/low calorie foods around.
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Unfortunately being a uni student I am on a very strict budget, so price matters a lot for me. Thankfully when I move back to my city there are loads of asian supermarkets and they're only around £1.50 a pack.

So you don't boil them at all? Only out of packet, drain/dry then fry? I've not done that before so I'll definitely give it a go. :) thank you.

BOIL? No. Moisture is not their friend. Out of packet and rinse, not just drain.

I lived in Japan for quite a while, and shirataki common there- I learned various ways of cooking it from multiple women (along with reading the package directions) and boiling is definitely an acceptable way to prepare it. I usually pre-boil the water (like a hot water kettle) and then pour it over the noodles and let it sit for a few minutes.
    Also, you can mix it with small amounts of regular pasta to keep the calorie-count low but improve the texture for those who aren't used to it or don't like it.

Thanks for making me aware of protein fluff! Definitely going to try it.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    honestly i just eat what i really really want...and say "fck it"...it only happens once in a while so
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I make a protein fluff almost every time I work out lifting weights. It's such a delicious, filling treat.
    I always make mine with milk, which increases the calories to more like 300 typically. I've never tried making it with water. Maybe I'll give that a shot on the days when my calories are tight.
    I recently hit on adding some vanilla extract and it has improved the flavour SOO much.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    khh1138 wrote: »

I make a protein fluff almost every time I work out lifting weights. It's such a delicious, filling treat.
    I always make mine with milk, which increases the calories to more like 300 typically. I've never tried making it with water. Maybe I'll give that a shot on the days when my calories are tight.
    I recently hit on adding some vanilla extract and it has improved the flavour SOO much.

Yes, vanilla helps.

Also, My Protein makes calorie free flavor drops. The toffee and peanut butter added to shakes is great. It's probably very good with fluff as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me I basically can't waste any calories on anything that isn't filling... so I mostly avoid bread products and sugar (except apples). When that happens though, high fiber foods with some fat are the most satisfying to me - so eggs with beans, cheese with an apple, steel cut oats with nut butter, whole grain pasta with cheese...

The hunger is real though!
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm currently going through this right now and man it sucks.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Well, I am retired. so my days are not like many of yours, with tight schedules, must-do stuff, people who heed your attention. Regardless, one thing I am learning is that if I have certain things I plan to do, and do them, my hunger automatically gets "placed on the back burner." Also, if I plan to do something creative, I am not as hungry; my mind is occupied with these things instead.

Today, I woke determined to really dig into my kitchen and dining room, cleaning them thoroughly. Not very exciting, but I was amazingly less hungry. Tomorrow, I want to really put the patio and the back driveway area into shape.

Do something creative? Not sure yet what I want to do . . . .