13»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    You guys seem to ignore this:

It's not clear what kind of possible long-term health risks a low-carb diet may pose because most research studies have lasted less than a year. Some health experts believe that if you eat large amounts of fat and protein from animal sources your risk of heart disease or certain cancers may actually increase.

But most studies have found that at 12 or 24 months, the benefits of a low-carb diet are not very large. A 2014 review found that higher protein, low-carbohydrate diets may offer a slight advantage in terms of weight loss and loss of fat mass compared to a normal protein diet. At a year, the difference was only about a pound (about 0.4 kilograms), though, and those who had the greatest benefits stuck to the diet long term.

LOL I know the long term health consequences of lower fat diets for me. It was weight gain, insulin resistsnce and inflammation that made managing other health issues extremely difficult. Short term keto (1+ year) appears to be giving better results already.

That statement isn't any better. You were overeating, the macro composition had nothing to do with that.

Nope. I had weight gain after insulin resistance. That was what took me into the overweight range.

My reactive hypoglycemia was a large problem for me. I would get tunnel vision and the shakes when I didn't eat every copuple of hours. My autoimmune issue were quite a bit worse when I had grains and larger amounts of carbs in my life. Migraines are gone. Cognition is clearer....

Not all problems are caused or worsened by a caloric surplus. Sometimes food choices are the problem.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

It's not clear what kind of possible long-term health risks a low-carb diet may pose because most research studies have lasted less than a year. Some health experts believe that if you eat large amounts of fat and protein from animal sources your risk of heart disease or certain cancers may actually increase.

But most studies have found that at 12 or 24 months, the benefits of a low-carb diet are not very large. A 2014 review found that higher protein, low-carbohydrate diets may offer a slight advantage in terms of weight loss and loss of fat mass compared to a normal protein diet. At a year, the difference was only about a pound (about 0.4 kilograms), though, and those who had the greatest benefits stuck to the diet long term.

LOL I know the long term health consequences of lower fat diets for me. It was weight gain, insulin resistsnce and inflammation that made managing other health issues extremely difficult. Short term keto (1+ year) appears to be giving better results already.

That statement isn't any better. You were overeating, the macro composition had nothing to do with that.

Nope. I had weight gain after insulin resistance. That was what took me into the overweight range.

My reactive hypoglycemia was a large problem for me. I would get tunnel vision and the shakes when I didn't eat every copuple of hours. My autoimmune issue were quite a bit worse when I had grains and larger amounts of carbs in my life. Migraines are gone. Cognition is clearer....

Not all problems are caused or worsened by a caloric surplus. Sometimes food choices are the problem.

I have reactive hypoglycemia and my doc basically said just don't worry about it. I found out when I had the three hour GTT during pregnancy. My blood sugar went down to 70 but weirdly it doesn't seem to affect me. I don't know if it was temporary or not but I am sorry you have to deal with it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    People don't get fat without a surplus... we've been over this millions of times.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    People don't get fat without a surplus... we've been over this millions of times.

CICO numbers are not set in stone. Health issues affect CO. We've been over that a million times...
  • kprimaverab
    kprimaverab Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Keto works if you follow it closely and do it right. Anyone else have luck with it?

Do you think you'll be able to keep that weight off after you reach your goal weight? Is keto a diet or something you plan on maintaining?
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

You ignored my response the first time you said that. Where are your studies proving that animal products increase the risk of heart disease or cancer. Epidemiological studies and studies based on food frequency questionnaires need not apply. Only interested in peer reviewed, RCTs. TIA!

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

CICO numbers are not set in stone. Health issues affect CO. We've been over that a million times...

They do but not too crazily. And it still means you overate more than your body was using. Been over that one a billion times.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    LOL

And yes, I ate more than my body used. I agreed with that all 999,999,999 times too. LOL
  • papas_new_bag
    papas_new_bag Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo I am still losing about 3 lbs a week which I am happy with. I knew I would drop a lot of water weight at first but that's cool with me. I am start an exercise plan next week so I hope that adds to the weight loss.

• papas_new_bag
    Options
    Keto works if you follow it closely and do it right. Anyone else have luck with it?

Do you think you'll be able to keep that weight off after you reach your goal weight? Is keto a diet or something you plan on maintaining?

I don't plan on staying keto after I reach my goal weight but I do plan on staying low carb. I will not go back to eating grains at all I feel so much better now that I have given them up. And the one time I did a some since quiting them it hurt my stomach. I will stay grain free and low carb
  • papas_new_bag
    Options
    radonskies wrote: »
    Low carb is the only way I've ever been able to lose more than a few pounds. On keto now, I've lost 49 pounds so far.

Keep up the good work, and good luck.
  • papas_new_bag
    Options
    I started the first few days on lchp but now have switched over to Keto and so far 5 pounds in 5 days papas bag what is your calorie intake

About 1600 to 1700 daily 5% carbs