MarianT50 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    MarianT50 wrote: »
    I think it depends on the exercise you're doing, and what your goals are. Personally, I am trying to lose fat at the minute so I'm consuming 1300-1400 cals a day (I weigh 150lbs and I'm 5'6) and trying to keep my macros as 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat. I'm weight training 4 times a week as well as running a couple of days a week. I've lost 13lb in 8 weeks, and gained 0.5lb of lean muscle. I find it easy enough to keep my food interesting on those calories!

exercise maybe...as a lifter yes I concentrated on getting in proteins but for weight loss calorie is king.

And the other bolded...probably not unless you are new to lifting and doing a progressive load lifting program...as "weight training" can encompass a lot of different things.

OP it depends on your goals...if you are mostly into losing weight...calories. If you want to maintain muscle while losing fat and you are lifting calories and protein.

My PT has been monitoring my body fat, lean muscle and inches closely and I can assure you I have gained 0.5lb of lean muscle. I have been ensuring I get enough protein, and tracking my calories. However, carbs are also needed for energy and need replenished after a workout - which was what I meant when I said it can depend on your exercise regime.
    My weights routine incorporates intensive heavy weights and low reps 4 times a week for 30 minutes.

My point was, my calories are made up of my macros - you can cut calories all you want but excluding food groups is not going to lead to optimum energy levels and health. Calories and macros can be a process of trial and error. 40-40-20 can work for 1 person and not work for another.

Unless you are getting regular dexa scans to show the lean mass gains I wouldn't trust those numbers. I suspect your PT is using calipers which eh...margin of error is large enough to negate those gains...and it's almost impossible to gain muscle while on a deficit and based on your numbers you are on a 1lb a week loss deficit as we are about the same size and I maintain on 2k-2500 depending on cardio. Not trying to discourage anyone but reality is what I have mentioned.

and most here are not interested in the health/energy aspect of this life...they want the scale to go down period.
    The macro thing confuses a lot of people so I rarely even go into it and the reasons for watching them unless asked.

"Not trying to discourage anyone"....yet you are. I've said pretty much the exact same as anyone else on this thread yet you're picking on me for some reason. OP asked which was better, counting calories or macros. I gave my opinion and explained why it worked for me.

I know a lot of people who use MFP who are very interested in proper health and nutrition, as am I - which was why my opinion highlighted the importance of being healthy and happy.

Anyway, I'm off to training to let my PT know the Internet says he's full of BS.

who am I discouraging? You? because I have said you probably haven't gained 1/2lb of muscle in a deficit?

Sorry if you are discouraged by that but your PT shouldn't be telling you this and setting you up for being discouraged when you tell people this and they tell you the truth.

If the OP indicates they are interested in keeping fit and working with the best energy levels they can and be healthy I will give them the information to the best of my ability.

As for your PT have at but I didn't tell you he was full of BS I just know that calipers have a margin of error and in as steep of a deficit that you are in ...yah no muscle gain.

I never once mentioned how he is measuring my body fat and muscle. Perhaps he's using calipers, body fat scales and I've had a dexa scan. You're very quick to shoot someone down. I simply posted a reply to OP who was asking for advice, I didn't ask for your opinion on my health and fitness - we were talking about macros and calories. I wasn't posting asking for opinions about my size and training, I was just giving my innocent opinion - but sure, that'll definitely be the last time I do that on here if this is what the users are like.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    A deficit in calories is very important and equally important are macros. Even on a deficit you can hit a plateau and add on fat because of your macros. Please note that everyone’s macro's are different and you can't take someone else's macro's and use them and expect the same results. First I would start off by knowing your body type and then go from there. That will determine your macro ratio. Here is a basic guide to get you started. Let me know what you score and I can guide you macro wise on where you need to be. Just remember your body is different. If you fuel a car with diesel fuel you would go nowhere fast. Make sure you are using the right fuel for you.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

Body Type Protein Carbs Fat
    Ectomorph 25% 55% 20%
    Mesomorph 30% 40% 30%
    Endomorph 35% 25% 40%
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    alexis831 wrote: »
    A deficit in calories is very important and equally important are macros. Even on a deficit you can hit a plateau and add on fat because of your macros. Please note that everyone’s macro's are different and you can't take someone else's macro's and use them and expect the same results. First I would start off by knowing your body type and then go from there. That will determine your macro ratio. Here is a basic guide to get you started. Let me know what you score and I can guide you macro wise on where you need to be. Just remember your body is different. If you fuel a car with diesel fuel you would go nowhere fast. Make sure you are using the right fuel for you.

Ectomorph 25% 55% 20%
    Mesomorph 30% 40% 30%
    Endomorph 35% 25% 40%

Arbitrary percentages are arbitrary
  • alexis831
    Options

Ectomorph 25% 55% 20%
    Mesomorph 30% 40% 30%
    Endomorph 35% 25% 40%

Arbitrary percentages are arbitrary

Explain what you mean since they are not arbitrary I am lost. Each is specific for a certain body type. For example, an endomorph has a low carb tolerance and turns carbs to fat where I have a high carb tolerance and burn carbs as energy. That is not arbitrary its smart.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Ectomorph 25% 55% 20%
    Mesomorph 30% 40% 30%
    Endomorph 35% 25% 40%

those body types are not real and those ratios do not apply.

Macros are a very individual thing.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I usually focus on both or usually macros because I'm so worried about going over them. I'm afraid I'll eat too many carbs and gain weight. And the same with fat. Which is why I haven't been too adventurous with my food choices.

As long as you are not too far off the base numbers for carbs, proteins, and fats it is all about calories. So if you basically ate cereal, oats, and breads all day I would worry. If a meal in a day has a bit more carbs, no biggy as long as the caloric deficit or your needs/goals are met.

People get way wrapped up in minutiae and finite things too much instead of just moderating eating to meet caloric goals.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    calories are a unit of energy...if you consume more energy than you require then that excess energy is stored as fat (your backup generator) regardless of your macros.

Macros are great to be aware of in terms of balancing out your diet and making sure you're getting good nutrition and can have fitness performance implications as well...but they don't really have anything to do with weight management in and of themselves.
  • alexis831
    Options

Ectomorph 25% 55% 20%
    Mesomorph 30% 40% 30%
    Endomorph 35% 25% 40%

Yes they are very individual! You are correct however they do apply. You have to have some sort of a starting point. Then you go from there. That is a pretty good starting point above. Then you factor in activity type, goals, and how you feel, how are your workouts go and so on. Then you tweak it every month or so to get them exactly on point. Takes a bunch on looking within yourself and looking in the mirror to get it perfect but it is worth it.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Ectomorph 25% 55% 20%
    Mesomorph 30% 40% 30%
    Endomorph 35% 25% 40%

Yes they are very individual! You are correct however they do apply. You have to have some sort of a starting point. Then you go from there. That is a pretty good starting point above. Then you factor in activity type, goals, and how you feel, how are your workouts go and so on. Then you tweak it every month or so to get them exactly on point. Takes a bunch on looking within yourself and looking in the mirror to get it perfect but it is worth it.

How do debunked body types apply?
  • alexis831
    Options

Ectomorph 25% 55% 20%
    Mesomorph 30% 40% 30%
    Endomorph 35% 25% 40%

You are not making any sense since they are not debunked.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Ectomorph 25% 55% 20%
    Mesomorph 30% 40% 30%
    Endomorph 35% 25% 40%

Using them to dictate what a person should and should not be eating because of how they look, is.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Ectomorph 25% 55% 20%
    Mesomorph 30% 40% 30%
    Endomorph 35% 25% 40%

"William H. Sheldon, PhD, MD, introduced the concept of body types, or somatotypes, in the 1940s. Since then, nutritionists, exercise physiologists, and even doctors have used it to help design effective, individualized fitness plans. The gist is that everyone falls, though not altogether neatly, into the three categories below. Keep in mind that these are generalizations, and that most of us have characteristics of two or even all three somatotypes."

This is the only "scientific" thing I could find on them in 3 pages of google...most were articles from Fitness etc...

• alexis831
    Options

Ectomorph 25% 55% 20%
    Mesomorph 30% 40% 30%
    Endomorph 35% 25% 40%

"William H. Sheldon, PhD, MD, introduced the concept of body types, or somatotypes, in the 1940s. Since then, nutritionists, exercise physiologists, and even doctors have used it to help design effective, individualized fitness plans. The gist is that everyone falls, though not altogether neatly, into the three categories below. Keep in mind that these are generalizations, and that most of us have characteristics of two or even all three somatotypes."

This is the only "scientific" thing I could find on them in 3 pages of google...most were articles from Fitness etc...

"The gist is that everyone falls, though not altogether neatly, into the three categories below. Keep in mind that these are generalizations, and that most of us have characteristics of two or even all three somatotypes"

Exactly what I stated. You use it as a basis and tweek to find your perfect combo of your perfect ratio. I never stated it is the end all be all.
  • jodieelol
    jodieelol Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    wow, seeing some mean posters on this thread which is very unfortunate.
    I have noticed this within MFP threads, how about we stick to, if someone didn't ask for your opinion, don't give it?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    jodieelol wrote: »
    I have noticed this within MFP threads, how about we stick to, if someone didn't ask for your opinion, don't give it?

Every post is a solicitation for response...from anyone.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Ectomorph 25% 55% 20%
    Mesomorph 30% 40% 30%
    Endomorph 35% 25% 40%

These are the things you said that were just so wrong.

When called on the fact macros are individual is when you back tracked....

and please explain how you can gain fat in a deficit.....please.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    jodieelol wrote: »

and how is this related to the OP?

and it's not friday yet you can't make this a "mean people thread".

and ah hello pot...not sure anyone asked for your opinion either?
  • alexis831
    Options

Ectomorph 25% 55% 20%
    Mesomorph 30% 40% 30%
    Endomorph 35% 25% 40%

These are the things you said that were just so wrong.

When called on the fact macros are individual is when you back tracked....

and please explain how you can gain fat in a deficit.....please.

If I have to explain that then you really have no business being on a fitness thread talking about nutrition.