Has anyone tried those juice diet detoxes?

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered if on juice diet websites people post topics about fitness, exercise, and eating the right foods \m/

Jack-Nicholson-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1658.gif
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered if on juice diet websites people post topics about fitness, exercise, and eating the right foods \m/

Perhaps we should go troll them.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I like to detox, but don't like to do it for more than one and a half days at the most, usually one day only. When I do, I will drink juice drinks for breakfast and lunch, plus eat grapes, then have a regular light dinner (like steamed fish and vegetables). Or I do the leek soup fast, eating leek soup broth and leeks all day, plus a light dinner. You need to drink a lot of water too.

What it is is light food that doesn't take much to digest and that are slightly diuretic (grapes and leeks), then the water to flush stuff through.

I personally would never do this for more than a short stint once in awhile as I don't eat that bad. But if I wanted to do it longer, it would only be under the care of a doctor.

But......what exactly are you detoxing?

Honestly, probably nothing. They just call it detox. Really I'm just giving my system a rest from heavy digestion and a lot of extra water to flush stuff through. I feel very energized after, although if I did it for longer, I think the energetic effects would be depleted.

I'm not trying to be mean here or anything but what exactly are you eating that you think your digestive system needs a rest from? If your body needs a rest from digesting food which is a basic function then something is very wrong with either your body or what you're eating...

Hey now, if I want to eat this way (and there is nothing wrong with drinking healthy juice drinks for breakfast and lunch and having a light dinner) whether you call it 'detox' or what you ate that day. But if I like to do that even once a month, it's really none of your business. And, it's none of your business what I'm eating! I'm answering an inquiry by the op, not you.

I'm really surprised by these boards and how rude and aggressive some people are. I'm really getting sick of it.

I saw nothing rude or aggressive in the question above. It is merely a question and I have to admit that I was wondering the same thing. No one is slamming you for doing your detox it is just the reasons why you said you are doing it that makes no sense.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I like to detox, but don't like to do it for more than one and a half days at the most, usually one day only. When I do, I will drink juice drinks for breakfast and lunch, plus eat grapes, then have a regular light dinner (like steamed fish and vegetables). Or I do the leek soup fast, eating leek soup broth and leeks all day, plus a light dinner. You need to drink a lot of water too.

What it is is light food that doesn't take much to digest and that are slightly diuretic (grapes and leeks), then the water to flush stuff through.

I personally would never do this for more than a short stint once in awhile as I don't eat that bad. But if I wanted to do it longer, it would only be under the care of a doctor.

Honestly, probably nothing. They just call it detox. Really I'm just giving my system a rest from heavy digestion and a lot of extra water to flush stuff through. I feel very energized after, although if I did it for longer, I think the energetic effects would be depleted.

I'm not trying to be mean here or anything but what exactly are you eating that you think your digestive system needs a rest from? If your body needs a rest from digesting food which is a basic function then something is very wrong with either your body or what you're eating...

Hey now, if I want to eat this way (and there is nothing wrong with drinking healthy juice drinks for breakfast and lunch and having a light dinner) whether you call it 'detox' or what you ate that day. But if I like to do that even once a month, it's really none of your business. And, it's none of your business what I'm eating! I'm answering an inquiry by the op, not you.

I'm really surprised by these boards and how rude and aggressive some people are. I'm really getting sick of it.

I saw nothing rude or aggressive in the question above. It is merely a question and I have to admit that I was wondering the same thing. No one is slamming you for doing your detox it is just the reasons why you said you are doing it that makes no sense.

I did find it rude and agressive. You may not have, but I did.

What exactly makes no sense to you? Do you think there are ways in general to improve digestion? Or do you think everything is equal?
  • JustJennie1
    Options

What exactly makes no sense to you? Do you think there are ways in general to improve digestion? Or do you think everything is equal?

Giving your body a "break" from digesting. And yes, there are better ways to improve digestion. Pro biotics for one.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

This thread is tame compared to the hundreds of others about detox. Nobody is being rude and aggressive, but simply trying to clarify that the body does a great job all by itself and is a darn good machine. Most of the time, it is the ones accusing others of being rude and aggressive that end up throwing the first punch. Your response was a prime example. :flowerforyou:

If my finding your response to me, which I did, rude and agressive, was me 'throwing the first punch', you are entitled to your opinion.

I personally don't feel comfortable with the way people respond here. Like you said, if this was 'tame', I'm done with posting. People are simply entitled to have different opinions. And I really didn't say anything to be attacked for or to ask me 'what are you eating' that needs help with digestion. Quite frankly, I'm not here to help you figure out that there can be ways to improve digestion, or that some things take longer to digest, or anything else.

I get that there is a difference of opinion on issues, but what irks me is the attitude of forcing an opinion on someone else. I would no more tell someone else they should detox than I would expect them to make fun of my light days of, yes I call it 'detox' when it makes me feel good and brings me energy.

I did find your response rude and agressive. There was no reason to make fun of my choices or ask me what I eat.

...oh yea, or tell me something is wrong with my body.

1. You were not attacked.
    2. I never asked for help on how to improve digestion.
    3. Nobody was giving you attitude.
    4. Nobody was forcing an opinion on you.
    5. Nobody was making fun of you.
    6. Since you feel so strongly that people were being rude and aggressive, than yes, it may be a good idea to stay off public internet forums.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

Giving your body a "break" from digesting. And yes, there are better ways to improve digestion. Pro biotics for one.

See, now at least you are trying to have a normal discussion on the issues without personal attacks. Thank you for that.

I do agree with you on pro biotics. Very good for you! And probably is a better way. But I was trying to answer the op's question and my way of doing my light days, I think you would agree, maybe not, is a light stressor on the body. I just like these light days once in awhile. I don't do it to lose weight, I just feel a little refreshed for eating light one day. I guess we all have our quirks. But if the op is interested in a light way to do it, I've given her something to think about rather than a three day or longer heavy cleanse.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

This thread is tame compared to the hundreds of others about detox. Nobody is being rude and aggressive, but simply trying to clarify that the body does a great job all by itself and is a darn good machine. Most of the time, it is the ones accusing others of being rude and aggressive that end up throwing the first punch. Your response was a prime example. :flowerforyou:

If my finding your response to me, which I did, rude and agressive, was me 'throwing the first punch', you are entitled to your opinion.

I personally don't feel comfortable with the way people respond here. Like you said, if this was 'tame', I'm done with posting. People are simply entitled to have different opinions. And I really didn't say anything to be attacked for or to ask me 'what are you eating' that needs help with digestion. Quite frankly, I'm not here to help you figure out that there can be ways to improve digestion, or that some things take longer to digest, or anything else.

I get that there is a difference of opinion on issues, but what irks me is the attitude of forcing an opinion on someone else. I would no more tell someone else they should detox than I would expect them to make fun of my light days of, yes I call it 'detox' when it makes me feel good and brings me energy.

I did find your response rude and agressive. There was no reason to make fun of my choices or ask me what I eat.

6. Since you feel so strongly that people were being rude and aggressive, than yes, it may be a good idea to stay off public internet forums.

If you want to tell me you didn't mean to make me feel that way, that is one thing. It is quite another to tell me I cannot feel I was attacked, or made fun, or felt like you were being rude and aggressive. I did feel that way, and your invalidating it telling me I should not feel that way does not change it. And your number six is over the top.

Thanks for your opinions.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

If you want to tell me you didn't mean to make me feel that way, that is one thing. It is quite another to tell me I cannot feel I was attacked, or made fun, or felt like you were being rude and aggressive. I did feel that way, and your invalidating it telling me I should not feel that way does not change it. And your number six is over the top.

I have to say that if that one, non snarky simply question offended you then you are way, waaaaay too sensitive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried those juice diet detoxes?

Yes...when I was young (to MFP) and dumb and just getting started. It's a bunch of bull****...save your money. It's just snake oil. Eat food...make better overall nutritional decisions...indulge in some junk now and then...get your fitness on...enjoy your success.

Your body detoxes itself daily all by itself...it's a sham.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Do you feel it was or is all a sham or did it generally do some justice? I heard that day 3 of the juice cleanse diet you start feeling weak, which for me would be unacceptable since I do a lot of heavy work and need my strength. Although I do want to do some sort of detox thing, any recommendations? Ty Ty

Just eat food.

Body detoxes itself when you poop and pee.

otherwise known as the deuce diet.
  • nomeejerome
    Options

Okey dokey. Have a nice day. :flowerforyou:
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options

as for OP, Don't worry, it is a valid question that a lot of people have about detoxing and cleansing. Once people get a little "education" on MFP they tend to jump on people who ask questions. It seems a little bit opposite of what it should be, but that is the way it usually is on these forums.

In reality a detox/cleanse won't usually do much harm to you if they are short term and full vitamins. On the other hand they won't do much to help you either, you will likely be very hungry and if weight loss is a goal it is fairly useless for that.

My advice is if you are feeling like you are bloated, full, or needing a detox for whatever reason drink a lot of water and eat light for a day; however, if you opt for a structured cleanse do it for a short amount of time.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options

I quite enjoy how a lot of people confuse a difference of opinion with being rude or aggressive. Lol

Edited for proper quotation
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Dude...I was going to give you a high five despite that rest part for saying that you do it because you like it and that it actually cleanses nothing but...then I read on..
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    148796_10151247815051049_392387126_n.jpg

Zackly.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

I quite enjoy how a lot of people confuse a difference of opinion with being rude or aggressive. Lol

Edited for proper quotation

When someone's opinion includes the comment, 'then something is wrong with what you are eating, or something is wrong with your body', in my opinion it becomes more of a personal attack. It was a roundabout way of doing it, but it was a personal attack. It is basically saying, 'I have a different opinion than you, I am right and you are wrong, or, if you are right than something is very wrong with the way you eat and/or your body'. That is the way I see it. If you don't see it that way, that's fine. I personally think there are more productive ways of dealing with issues or differences of opinion that I would have been open to and been fine with.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I detox after eating a lot of Mexican food. Hot sauce, burrito. That will clean you out. you can follow it up with a few juice boxes too. Not really sure about anything else, but my colon is cleaned.
  • nomeejerome
    Options

I have to say that if that one, non snarky simply question offended you then you are way, waaaaay too sensitive.

Seriously? Again we are back to this. Fwiw, irl people do not describe me as a 'highly sensitive' person. I'm actually pretty 'thick skinned' in general. But nor would I invalidate someone else for feeling a certain way or being taken aback by comments. Or tell them they are "waaaaay too sensitive".

Actually, I'm disappointed by the arguments and discussions and attacks I've seen in this forum because it IS supposed to be a support forum. Not a place to make fun of and attack others. Yet, I consistently have seen that happen to many people here, including myself in a small way in this thread. I agree it wasn't the worst attack I've seen. In fact, as that poster termed it, it was 'tame'. But it was meant to be attacking, and their back-peddaling from it doesn't change that. The only reason it probably didn't get worse by them is because I refuse to start going down that road.

Here, http://eqi.org/invalid.htm. I think a lot of people could spend more time around here learning about EQ rather than weight loss.

No, it was not an attack, it was a question.
    No, nobody was making fun of others.
    And back pedal? :laugh:
  • nomeejerome
    Options