(1) B12
(1) B complex

Suggestions?

Replies

• SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    D3 because I'm deficient
    and I'm just starting a B12 supplement and a multi-vitamin this week. Also going to start adding flax seed to my daily green smoothies :)
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of my own since my body digests powders better but I hate the way most of them taste when I mix them in water. So I just buy the powders and put them into gelatin capsules. The ones I take are:

Rainbow Light Prenatal Vitamin (I'm not pregs, it just help to combat the hair loss I sometimes get from my BC)
    Garden of Life Probiotic Powder in Capsules
    Vitamineral Greens Powder in Capsules
    Turmeric in Capsules
    Vitamin D plus Calcium (from my doctor)
    Neocell Liquid Hyaluronic Acid

I usually cut down on the amounts since I don't want too much of a good thing. So I'll do half the recommended amount and split them in half (even my multi) and take half with breakfast and half with lunch. It's working out great so far. I really notice a difference in my energy levels and skin if I don't take them. Even for a day.
  • SJVZEE
    Options
    I make a lot of my own since my body digests powders better but I hate the way most of them taste when I mix them in water. So I just buy the powders and put them into gelatin capsules. The ones I take are:

Rainbow Light Prenatal Vitamin (I'm not pregs, it just help to combat the hair loss I sometimes get from my BC)
    Garden of Life Probiotic Powder in Capsules
    Vitamineral Greens Powder in Capsules
    Turmeric in Capsules
    Vitamin D plus Calcium (from my doctor)
    Neocell Liquid Hyaluronic Acid

I usually cut down on the amounts since I don't want too much of a good thing. So I'll do half the recommended amount and split them in half (even my multi) and take half with breakfast and half with lunch. It's working out great so far. I really notice a difference in my energy levels and skin if I don't take them. Even for a day.

What's the turmeric for? I saw those this morning at the store and had never heard of it before :)
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Nada
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I take an occasional iron tablet but only when I really need it. I get plenty of nutrition from my food.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I currently don't take ANY supplements (including protein powder or anything) but I am interested in this topic and wondering if I should add a multi-vitamin tablet daily to my diet.
  • SJVZEE
    Options
    I currently don't take ANY supplements (including protein powder or anything) but I am interested in this topic and wondering if I should add a multi-vitamin tablet daily to my diet.

I'm adding one for the first time in my life. I'm going to a whole foods, plant based diet and for the first time ever I started tracking my nutrient intakes -wow, that was eye opening! Here I am, eating gobs of dark greens and other veggies and fruit, plus things like cheese and eggs and things like rice and oats and I'm way below even the minimum for things like calcium, iron and zinc. I cringe to think what my numbers were when I was eating the typical SAD and almost no veggies :/ My goal is to one day get all my nutrients from my food (except B12 and D3, those are two things I'll always take supplements for), but right now the multi-vitamin helps :)

Also, it doesn't look like we can track nutrients here on mfp? I had to log my food at another site, to find out my numbers. Wish we could do it here! Or is there a way to add different ones and I'm just not seeing it?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    None. My blood tests show I need nothing.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    D - doctor told me I was deficient. Typical for someone with hypoactive thyroid.
  • techgeeksquared
    techgeeksquared Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I take:
    (2) Fish, flax, and borage oil
    (2) Biotin
    (1) B12
    (1) B complex

Suggestions?

I love the fish oil just make sure it is as pure as you can get and doesn't contain a bunch of additives or mercury.

As far as suggestions. I prefer to get all the nutrients I can directly from ground flax seeds. The oil is missing a lot of nutrients that you get from the seed itself.
    A couple of notes on flax seed if you choose to go that route.
    1. They are perishable so keep them in the fridge.
    2. Try to only grind them up when you consume them so they retain their nutrients. You can use any grinder/good blender, do it by hand or if you have nothing else just be sure to chew them as well as you can. (If they are whole they will pass right through and you won't get much if anything out of them.)
    3. You can add them to anything. I like to add them to juices, smoothies, pancakes, waffles anything really.

The B12 alone is prob. not necessary, unless of course a doctor told you otherwise, as the complex should have B12 in it. Not to mention if you are not Vegan/Vegetarian you prob. get enough anyway through normal food consumption. (just as a side note) Though hard to do, you can in fact overdose on B12.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Prenatals. They're actually very good for any/all women of childbearing age. I take them especially because I was either pregnant, breast feeding or both from Nov 2008-January of this year so my body has a lot of lost nutrient repair to do. I take Biotin and flaxseed also.
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Multivitamins with iron (Vitamin A, D, C, E, B1, B2, Niacin, B6, Folic Acid, B12, Pantothenic Acid and Iron) & I also take Omega 3 fish oil (1000mg). I'm also starting to put oats with vitamins in my post-workout shakes and they contain most of the multivitamins in the tablets with additional biotin and vitamin D3.

ETA: That I started taking the multivitamin tablets with iron when the Doc said I was mildly anaemic back in 2009. I now take them for the vitamins as my blood-iron levels are back in the 'normal' range.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    multi, CLA, L-carnitine, omega multi (fish, borage, flax)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin, fish oil, D3, and magnesium
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I take a multi and fish oil. I'll probably be stopping the fish oil once my current supply runs out.

I take D3 in the fall and winter when I don't spend much time outside. In the spring and summer I get plenty of sun so the D3 is unnecessary.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    A daily, fish oil and st. johns wort. I take the last two to help with my moods.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Too many to list but the main ones would be:

Daily multi with niacin
    D3
    Fish oil
    coQ10
    low dose aspirin
    calcium
    super bio curcumin

And a whole bunch more that's too long to list that is for different functions within the body
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I take a multi and fish oil. I'll probably be stopping the fish oil once my current supply runs out.

I take D3 in the fall and winter when I don't spend much time outside. In the spring and summer I get plenty of sun so the D3 is unnecessary.

Jonny, have you ever considered the case against multis?
    http://gettingstronger.org/2011/03/the-case-against-antioxidants/
  • Bnewman410
    Bnewman410 Posts: 44
    Options
    I take gummy Women's Multi Vitamin , and gummy Vitamin D ...they are yummy!!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    none