Costco

Options
ydyms
ydyms Posts: 266 Member
Hi all! Just wondering which healthy foods/products some of you find in Costco that is worthwhile purchasing. I'm trying to figure out if I should become a member...
Thanks!!

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I love shopping at Costco. Why not go in a take a look around and look at the prices. They should let you in if you tell them you are thinking of becoming a member.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't shop there for everything but some things are a great deal.

A lot of the produce comes in larger quantities for the same price as smaller quantities at the regular grocery store. I buy Brussels sprouts, spinach, sometimes avocados, pineapple, etc there.

I get ground turkey there, and often the chicken breasts.

One of the best deals they have are super cheap eggs, milk, or even their cartons of egg whites. I get a six pack of egg whites for about $6 whereas at the regular grocery stores around here I get one for that price.

If you watch their sales you can't beat their deals on protein powder either. I got a five pound jar of Combat protein powder for $35 last month. (That will last me for like two years... BUT it is much higher priced at other stores.)
  • msbinks
    msbinks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Costco have great deals and very health food
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I like to buy fresh seasonal fruits such as cherries, watermelon, strawberries, etc as well as eggs, butter (yes, I eat it in moderation), frozen fish, fresh chicken. The possibilities are endless. Sometimes however, having to buy in such large quantities isn't practical.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Frozen strawberries for smoothies, chicken breast, and if you can afford it, I love the filet mignon (best prices anywhere, and great for a treat). Eggs are a great deal. Basically, if it will last a while and you'll use it, most of the stuff there is a good deal. Personally, with only me and DH, we can't use most of the fresh fruits and veggies fast enough.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    We do 90% of our grocery shopping at Costco. Produce is generally both cheaper & better quality than the local grocery store. We also buy most of our dairy, meat and eggs there. Lunch snacks for the kids. Clothing. Bread.
  • jadahmong
    jadahmong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think almond butter, nuts, seasonings ex (garlic powder), bread...., great deals
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I buy majority of my groceries there too.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    You can always go to Costco's website that way you'll actually be able to see the kinds of items they sell before you pull the trigger on whether or not you want to sign up and become a member with them
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Tofu though I hear Asian markets are cheaper. Seaweed salad. Avocados. Raspberries. Pineapples. Sweet kale salad. Green beans. Red bell peppers. Cherry tomato medley. Romaine lettuce. Rotisserie chicken. Salmon. Eggs. Dietz & Watson deli meat without preservatives. Guacamole. Hummus. Cheese. Premier protein shakes.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    I was a member of Price Club long before it was acquired by Costco and have been a member of Costco ever since then.

Use to buy all of most of my food and dry goods there but I have become more selective and pay much greater attention to pricing because buying at Costco is NOT always a bargain. So, like anywhere else, unless you have mo ey to burn, you need to be a careful shopper.

I buy all of my soy milk there by the case. Eggs and roasted chickens are a good value. I also buy slabs of pork loin and sirloin (uncut and in bulk) and some seafood there even if prices are a bit higher than I can find elsewhere because it's convenient. However, I never buy uncooked chicken there because I can always find it cheaper in local supermarkets.

Don't usually buy fruit/veggies there because of the quantity and the wide availability of fresher and cheaper produce in my community.

Lots of healthy food options pop up now and then but Costco will drop a product if it doesn't sell well. So, you can't always continue to find a product that you like there. Agave syrup, ground flax seed and certain "health" bars are things that I liked but later disappeared from their shelves. So, if you find something you like, it pays to stock up on it in case it's discontinued as long as it will keep well.

• bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Their stock can vary but they've had 100 calorie cups of hummus before that my daughter and I loved having on hand. The little babybel red wax cheese wheel things. Their salad kits are the bomb. I've found Greek yogurt there for a better price than my grocery store, string cheese. Honestly I could go on and on. I love Costco
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Not worth it if you're single. Very worth it if you are a family of 5 or larger.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Just two of us, but we love it.
  • natalialikescookies
    natalialikescookies Posts: 72 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    We are a family of 4 (two adults, two toddlers) and we love love love Costco! Especially here in Hawaii it's the cheapest place to get most produce/dairy and even shelf stable items

Every week I buy individually packed frozen chicken breast, eggs, milk, cream,cheese, deli meats, tub of organic spring mix, tomatoes, berries, bananas and bell peppers.

Other items that I buy as needed:
    Butter, bacon, beef patties, TP and paper towels, PB, jelly, all kinds of canned tomato (sauce, stewed, paste), pure vanilla extract,chia seeds, agave nectar, dried fruits, nuts, granola bars, protein powder, other meats, string cheese, yogurt, frozen fruits

I could go on and on but these are the things that I won't even consider buying somewhere else unless I have absolutely no other choice.

How beneficial a Costco membership is will depend on your location as well as your lifestyle too. Years ago when we lived in Vegas (pre-kids), we didn't use our membership nearly as much because we could get many of the same items for comparable prices (scaled down) at local stores or the commissary.
    If you have an Aldi nearby you can get a lot of foods for the same price or even cheaper-though usually just their own brand (I miss Aldi!!)

That said Costco also always has great deals on a bunch of things you didn't know you needed until you saw it on sale at Costco
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Shopping at Sams and Costco has saved us a bunch of money when our kids lived with us. With just the two of us, quantity is a problem. Some of things we buy are: Blue Mountain coffee, eggs, heavy whipping cream, cheeses, Himalayan salt, apple cider vinegar, real smoked ham that we slice ourselves, rib eyes, whole organic chickens that are not injected with salt solution, wild cod, wild salmon, wild shrimp, Norwegian smoked salmon, olives, olive oil, ghee and coconut oil.

Some of the fresh vegetables are a good deal, if you can eat it all before they spoil. We don't eat fruit anymore, but when we did the fruit was hit or miss on the quality. We prepare most of our meals from scratch since we are LCHF dieters and shop locally for most of our fresh veggies.

I don't like the naked chicken breast they sell in the frozen section, they are like cardboard. We have had two occasions where the fresh pork was spoiled and we will not buy that at Costco ever again. We go to Sams for their fresh pork and 20% fat hamburger.

Hint: If a price ends in $.97 it is on clearance, usually a pretty good deal, and a chance to stock the freezer!

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My ILs are members and are kind enough to buy me foods from there since it's cheaper and what I want is normally in stock whereas the regular grocery stores can be a mixed bag for stock. If I could afford the membership myself and lived on my own, I'd definitely buy there.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you live by yourself not worthwhile.
    You can find similar healthy at grocery stores. You just have to look.
    Or find a whole foods in your area.
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Family of 5 here, we go there once a month stock up. Keep away from the sweets bakery and you'll be fine, like anywhere else. The packages of sugary baked goods are huge, so unless you're having a party or freezing things, it either all gets eaten fast (yikes) or wasted (almost as bad). Then again, none of the packages come with a little guy that forces you to eat them, so its all up to you.