Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    One word:

Salmon Burgers!

;)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I got to BJ's wholesale since that's much closer, but same idea. I get great avocados cheap from ours. I also get all our paper products, 5lb bags of apples, produce, their deli is dirt cheap, cat food...the only things I refuse to buy there are soda and cereal. It's just never a good deal. The grocery has lower prices on those things.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever gotten out of the local Costco for less than a C-note - anything that we can buy in bulk we buy and just fill in stuff from the grocery store.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've spent in the $600s in one trip.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I buy so much from Costo they'll probably put a "Kirkland" tattoo on my @$$.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I don't think I have ever gotten out of the local Costco for less than a C-note - anything that we can buy in bulk we buy and just fill in stuff from the grocery store.

I agree. My husband and I are always shocked when we can get out of there for under $100. lol.
  • thezombiejessi
    thezombiejessi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    They have great deals on protein powders, health products, and bulk frozen fruits and veggies. I love how inexpensive and various their home goods are. I'm going to school and teach my son from home, the prices and deals you can get on office supplies are worth it. I have an executive membership and spend a minimum of $6,000 a year or more so the membership pays itself with rebates. P.S. I buy almond milk there since you get a lot and it goes quick here at my house.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Tofu though I hear Asian markets are cheaper. Seaweed salad. Avocados. Raspberries. Pineapples. Sweet kale salad. Green beans. Red bell peppers. Cherry tomato medley. Romaine lettuce. Rotisserie chicken. Salmon. Eggs. Dietz & Watson deli meat without preservatives. Guacamole. Hummus. Cheese. Premier protein shakes.

Ya, in general Asian markets are the place to go for Asian groceries. Anyone who does a lot of Asian cooking and is remotely near Quincy, MA should check out Kan Man http://www.kammanfoods.com/quincy/en/

Incredible selection! Great prices! Friendly employees who speak English and can help you find things!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

I just have to keep telling myself that I'd be spending more at the grocery store, but in smaller increments. You have to get over the register shock.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I belong to BJs, but only because I have a discounted membership via my mother's membership. I cook for my OH 3-4 times per week and many of the items come in quantities that are just too big for me. Their prices are great for stuff I do use, but their selection of my staples is very small.

OTOH, they are the cheapest place for gas in my mother's town, where I am weekly.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »

I agree. My husband and I are always shocked when we can get out of there for under $100. lol.

Back in the 80s we called it the "Hundred Dollar Club". Now it's the "Two Hundred Dollar Club". :lol:

I have a Sam's Club membership for work, too, since Costco doesn't take Master Card and that's what our corporate card is. I have to say that as diehard a Costco fan I've been for over 30 years I'm slowly changing my loyalties to Sam's. I even pay extra for their Plus membership. One of the perks is that you can get in the store at 7am! No crowds, no lines, it's awesome! You also get cash back on what you spend and between what I buy for myself and what I buy for work it more than pays for the extra cost. Their women's clothing selection is better, too. Costco's has been getting smaller and smaller for years and they rarely carry pants under a size 6, anyway.

Sam's seems to have a better selection of many things. You can also buy some in smaller quantities. Their bakery selection is a little better and they still carry the regular bagged salads. We eat salad almost every night with dinner. My husband won't eat things like Spring Mix and I really hate paying $3+ for a tiny bag of Dole salad at Safeway when I can get the giant bag for around $2 at Sam's.

I still like Costco's meat and fruit selection better, and their dog food is a fabulous deal, so I will probably always shop at both.
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Yes! Family of four here.

All fruits & veggies especially Romaine, grape tomatoes, avocados, spinach, strawberries & grapes.

We also always buy their sliced extra lean ham and oven roasted turkey; chicken & salmon burgers, frozen chicken & rotisserie chicken, bread, spices, quinoa, canned salmon, tuna & sardines. They also have good prices on dog & cat food.

Found these "healthy" snacks:
    Edamame health mix
    Snap pea "chips"
    Parmesan cheese "chips"
    Large bags of raw, unsalted almonds & cashews

We went for the upgraded membership (black card) & depending on your annual spending, you can "earn" enough to make your membership free - in fact, they cut us a check! I will say I've heard Aldi has good prices on fruits & veggies. They're relatively new to South Florida and I haven't tried them yet.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »

All fruits & veggies especially Romaine, grape tomatoes, avocados, spinach, strawberries & grapes.

We also always buy their sliced extra lean ham and oven roasted turkey; chicken & salmon burgers, frozen chicken & rotisserie chicken, bread, spices, quinoa, canned salmon, tuna & sardines. They also have good prices on dog & cat food.

Edamame health mix
    Snap pea "chips"
    Parmesan cheese "chips"

We went for the upgraded membership (black card) & depending on your annual spending, you can "earn" enough to make your membership free - in fact, they cut us a check! I will say I've heard Aldi has good prices on fruits & veggies. They're relatively new to South Florida and I haven't tried them yet.

Those parmesan crisps are to die for! I bought a box a few weeks ago to put on salads because I feel like croutons are a waste of calories. OMG! I started eating them right out of the box as a snack and bought another box when I went back last weekend.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Honestly you cannot go wrong with a Costco membership. We are there once a week.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    The medicine savings alone (generic Zyrtec and lactase) probably pay for our membership alone. However, I only go when I need these things because Costcos in North Jersey are just a mad house and I can't. I don't mind going in Pennsylvania though when I visit; it's much less intense.

Oh man you couldn't pay me to set foot in a North Jersey Costco. I've been in the Edison one and that was a madhouse. Personally I love Bridgewater either when they open or on a friday evening. You can easily shop in peace, and the lines aren't insane.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Avocados. Always avocados. :smiley:
    In season fruits, too - apples in fall/winter, and peaches, berries, grapes, etc in summer.
    Cheese sticks.
    Pork tenderloin.
    Can't beat their rotisserie chickens - taste great, they're what - 5 bucks? - and I can get several family meals out of one bird.
    Butter.
    Eggs (before we had our own chickens, anyway).
    Peets Coffee - the BEST!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    If you live by yourself not worthwhile.

Not necessarily so.

I live alone and buy what I know I'll consume in quantity at Costco. This includes all the meat that I can freeze and dry goods like TP, paper towels and canned goods. Of course, it helps that I live in a 5 bdrm house and have more than enough room to store the stuff in, which would be a problem for a single living in a small apt.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    A rotisserie chicken the size of a turkey is $5 bucks, we eat it for dinner and cut up the rest for sandwiches.

Most of their roasted chickens are about 3lbs, which comes out to around $1.67 cooked which can often be cheaper than buying a raw whole chicken. I think they treat the roasted chicken like their $1.50 hot dog/soda deal. It's a loss leader that keeps people coming back.

I can often get chicken whole or parts for 99 cents/lb but, when I'm lazy and don't want to roast my own, I'll buy 2 of roasted chickens, cut them into pieces -- breasts, legs and wings -- and freeze them and then make chicken broth out of the left over bones.

Currently have 4 quarts of chicken broth that I made in the frig and usually use it all up before it spoils. Could can the broth but I generally don't need to do that because I make lots of soups that make use of it.

• MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »

Edamame health mix
    Snap pea "chips"
    Parmesan cheese "chips"

Those parmesan crisps are to die for! I bought a box a few weeks ago to put on salads because I feel like croutons are a waste of calories. OMG! I started eating them right out of the box as a snack and bought another box when I went back last weekend.

I've finally given in and bought those little snack baggies. I've weighed & counted out my snacks & have a bunch bagged & ready to go, otherwise . . . those little buggers are dangerous - SO GOOD!
  • kellyiris6
    kellyiris6 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love Costcos! I get the big slab of salmon, cut it into 8 servings, freeze them. So easy to just grab one from the freezer for dinner and cook it. Their berries are great, I just got blueberries in a huge pack for like $3 or $4. Their avocados are great, but I think they are more expensive during this time. They have edamame spaghetti is really good. And if you have a dog, their dog food is really good quality and cheap! ($26 for a huge bag)