Which one do I trust?

Options
Today I went to the doctor's office and when I was weighed, it read 205lbs.

But when I weighed myself on Weight Watchers scale at home it read 199.

On the 14th of this month I was 210 on WW scale and at gym scale and so since then, I have been eating at 1200 cals and lowered my carb intake significantly up until last Friday when I had all my wisdom teeth pulled. Now I am eating less than 1100 cals since Friday so being 205 doesn't make sense to me.

So which scale is more accurate?

Replies

• Elaina291
    Elaina291 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I should also mention that the nurse who weighed me did it flippantly and fast so I don't even know if she was really paying attention to the balance thingy to make sure it was accurate.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Elaina291 wrote: »
    Today I went to the doctor's office and when I was weighed, it read 205lbs.

But when I weighed myself on Weight Watchers scale at home it read 199.

On the 14th of this month I was 210 on WW scale and at gym scale and so since then, I have been eating at 1200 cals and lowered my carb intake significantly up until last Friday when I had all my wisdom teeth pulled. Now I am eating less than 1100 cals since Friday so being 205 doesn't make sense to me.

So which scale is more accurate?

Seems like you are angling for a certain answer. However, spring913 is correct. Go by the scale you use everyday. FWIW the doctor's scale is probably correct but you can't go there everyday to weigh yourself.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I always weigh 3-4lbs less when I weigh at doctors offices regardless of time of day. I update my weight based on those because the lower number makes me feel better lol
  • Elaina291
    Options
    spring913 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. Go by the scale you weigh yourself on the most, which is your home scale.

I always weigh more at the Dr's office. It's usually mid-day, after breakfast and a couple coffees, in my clothes. That's easily 5-6 lbs right there.

The funny thing is usually when I go to Drs office I always weigh less or right on the nose...not 5-6lbs more than home scale. But it was mid afternoon and I did have a protein shake so maybe that could be the reason for the extra pounds.

I think though I am going to do away with WW scale and weigh myself monthly at drs office. And definitely try to eat less because I am obviously eating too much still.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Go by the scale you weigh yourself on the most, which is your home scale.

I always weigh more at the Dr's office. It's usually mid-day, after breakfast and a couple coffees, in my clothes. That's easily 5-6 lbs right there.

The funny thing is usually when I go to Drs office I always weigh less or right on the nose...not 5-6lbs more than home scale. But it was mid afternoon and I did have a protein shake so maybe that could be the reason for the extra pounds.

I think though I am going to do away with WW scale and weigh myself monthly at drs office. And definitely try to eat less because I am obviously eating too much still.

eating less is not the answer. you may be retaining water.do you weigh all your food? if not you may be eating more than you think. and yes the protein shake or any food can make your weight go up on the scale. always way first thing in the am after you used the bathroom and before you have eaten or had anything to drink. your weight fluctuates hour to hour,day to day.so dont sweat it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    So OP, you've presented TWO measurements. By one you lost 5lbs and by the other you lost 11lbs. In 12 days.

And then you go on to say that you think you should eat less because you are "only" losing anywhere from 0.46 to 0.91 lbs A DAY?

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

I am not even going to cover that neither figure is representative of fat lost, especially with low carb thrown into the mix.

just... the expectation

Scales measure differently, pick one and stick with it ..I'd suggest home scales because you can keep to the same parameters more easily eg first thing in the morning, naked, after bathroom, before food or drink and always on same surface

And by either measurement you have lost a lot

By virtue of lowering carbs you have lost a fair amount of water (glycogen / water) and as it's the start you will see more movement

• Sued0nim
    Options
    I would actually say the doctors office would be more prone to variance due to calibration, clothing, time of day, food in system
  • Elaina291
    Options
    So OP, you've presented TWO measurements. By one you lost 5lbs and by the other you lost 11lbs. In 12 days.

And then you go on to say that you think you should eat less because you are "only" losing anywhere from 0.46 to 0.91 lbs A DAY?

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

I am not even going to cover that neither figure is representative of fat lost, especially with low carb thrown into the mix.

just... the expectation

I know its not representative of fat loss. I know it is water weight. I have done the math and I am a firm believer in CICO and by doing the math both computer and by hand, I should have been 198 by today...highest being maybe 201 or 202. But lets just say I am 205, it still means that one is seriously wrong.

And my issue is that I bought a $50 scale that might not be working correctly.

I know weight fluctuates throughout the day but not within 20 mins. My weight has never done that so I know one is wrong. And I just don't want to be 5-6lbs off with my weight.

• Elaina291
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

just... the expectation

Scales measure differently, pick one and stick with it ..I'd suggest home scales because you can keep to the same parameters more easily eg first thing in the morning, naked, after bathroom, before food or drink and always on same surface

By virtue of lowering carbs you have lost a fair amount of water (glycogen / water) and as it's the start you will see more movement

I feel like I am cheating myself somehow though by choosing a scale that weighs me lower but not neccesarily accurate. I wish I could go to another dr. office and see what it says and go off by average.

And I know I sound like a mad woman but when you have invested a lot of money in a scale, you expect it to be as accurate as possible.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I always weigh 3-4lbs less when I weigh at doctors offices regardless of time of day. I update my weight based on those because the lower number makes me feel better lol

Lol. I have two scales at home and my "new" one shows that I weigh 1 pound more than the "old" one. Sometimes I step on the old one to feel better. So funny, as if that made me actually lose a pound (chuckle).

Typo edit
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I can also possibly see that reaching "onederland" is important and maybe you are looking for a specific scale to to call out that number. And perhaps the the scale you want that number to come from is not the one you want to weight on everyday.

Also you said you are eating under 1100 calories and plan to eat even less? Why would you eat less than that?

You should pick one scale an stick to that. Preferably to me, you should weigh on one where you weigh in the a.m. naked, after the bathroom, before eating or drinking or exercising. Do this and keep up with daily trends that include sodium intake, female hormones, glycogen, etc.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

just... the expectation

I feel like I am cheating myself somehow though by choosing a scale that weighs me lower but not neccesarily accurate. I wish I could go to another dr. office and see what it says and go off by average.

And I know I sound like a mad woman but when you have invested a lot of money in a scale, you expect it to be as accurate as possible.

sounds like you are slightly obsessed with the numbers which is never a good thing. weight loss is not linear so you cannot predict to the pound what you will/should weigh each day.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    it's also funny that you came to ask for advice, most suggested that you trust the home scale because the factors stay consistent - and you decided to do the opposite?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

just... the expectation

sounds like you are slightly obsessed with the numbers which is never a good thing. weight loss is not linear so you cannot predict to the pound what you will/should weigh each day.

There is def scale obsession going on here.

Every time I weigh at the doctor I may have had coffee or tea before the appointment, or even a meal or snack, I am fully clothed and they usually tell me to keep my shoes on. I would never use the doctors scale as my main scale for weight. I know my clothes alone put weight on the scale.

Put the scale on ebay.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner. You want to use the scale that has the least amount of variance. Of course your going to weigh more later in the day when there is food/shake/drink whatever in your stomach and your clothed. It's NORMAL. COMPLETELY 100% NORMAL. I have a pair of jeans that adds 1 lb to my scale weight and that's without wearing a shirt or shoes. Use your home scale and there is no need to eat less than you already are. That's likely to cause a lot of health problems.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what makes you think the scales you bought aren't accurate?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Grab something you know the weight of, like a dumbbell, and weigh it to check accuracy