Tips on how to prevent loose skin

Options
Hi,

For those of you who have lost a significant amount of weight How did you avoid getting loose skin, or if you do have loose skin aside from skin removal, what are you doing to improve your condition. How much weight off would definitely leave you with loose skin. I currently have 73 pds to lose so I would appreciate a heads up on the do's or don't. Thank you in advance have a great day!

Replies

• sabrinagracenichols
    Options
    Ive lost about 75 pounds.... and my skin is not perfect but its prettty close to being normal, but the thing is is I am young so I think my skin has more elasticity than someone older than me would.... so age would be a factor. But you could also try lotions specified for firming... I dont really know how much this would help but its worth a try! I have seen a ton of firming lotions at sephora! Along with that, strengthening exercises would also be beneficial! I did situps, squats, etc. about 3-4 times a week.
  • sabrinagracenichols
    Options
    Ive lost about 75 pounds.... and my skin is not perfect but its prettty close to being normal, but the thing is is I am young so I think my skin has more elasticity than someone older than me would.... so age would be a factor. But you could also try lotions specified for firming... I dont really know how much this would help but its worth a try! I have seen a ton of firming lotions at sephora! Along with that, strengthening exercises would also be beneficial! I did situps, squats, etc. about 3-4 times a week.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Water water water water water! Adding heavy lifting to your routine, and of course as the above poster mentioned, and those dirty genetics!

edit : spelling fail
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Lose it slowly, lift weights, keep hydrated.

I have lost 57lbs and everything is shrinking back in except my boobs which are going to end up a lot lower than they used to be :(

Oh and firming lotions - I dont know how much they actually work but I feel better for using them :)
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Bump for tips.
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 years old and even my skin has started to shape up as my doctor said it would, but takes a long time. I have a lightly weighted Hula Hoop I use daily (well, almost) and it's been a big help. Sitting and standing straight and holding in also helps.

I wish I'd used compression garments (Spanx and such) in the beginning.

If you've had any kids and it took a while for your midsection to tighten back up, chance are it'll be the same with weight loss. But, that's a good problem to have. You're getting healthy!

I've always wondered if sleeping on my back would help as well.

Squats helped my legs and butt. Upper arms have been harder, the skin there seems less resilient.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    remember it can take up to two years for your skin to fully retract most of it I'm afraid is down to genetics. speed of loss will make no difference if your skin is able to retract it will if you lose your weight fast or slow
  • INxFOCUSx2013
    INxFOCUSx2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ah! Yes of course age & skin elasticity would play a major role, but what if one was to lose it slowly( 1-2 pds a week) and lift weights in the process would that help or we go back to square one.

I have watched these shows like the biggest loser & extreme weight loss but these people drop 2 digit numbers in the begining so we can expect the loose skin there.

Just want to see all the possibilites I don't want to come out of one problem to get into a bigger one. Thanks for the replys.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Tessyloowhoo Posts: 504
    Options
    I hear if it doesn't put the lotion on its skin... it gets the hose again...
  • INxFOCUSx2013
    Options
    remember it can take up to two years for your skin to fully retract most of it I'm afraid is down to genetics. speed of loss will make no difference if your skin is able to retract it will if you lose your weight fast or slow
    thanks I posted before I saw your comment. good to know.
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was told strength training while losing the weight. It has been helping me a lot. Last time I lost weight my tummy hung down. This time, it's not hanging!!! I do core exercises & strength for my arms, squats for my legs. Squats are giving my thighs amazing results, I'm very happy with them.
  • shannonahenderson
    Options
    Hydrate!!!!!
    Moisturize!!!!
    Strength training/Weight lifting!!!!
    PATIENCE!!!!!!

Make sure you target those specific areas (i.e. push ups for your triceps, sit ups & planks for your tummy, squats for your thighs, etc)

Hope this helps....I had the same concerns when I first started and this is the advice I was given. Patience and consistency are both key.
  • INxFOCUSx2013
    Options
    @ Jessica So happy for you!
    @ Shannona thank you so much!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    The best way to prevent loose skin is not to get fat and then try and lose weight to quickly.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    if you have stretch marks, you will likely have loose skin after your loss. That tissue is damaged, and will not return to its original condition. there may be some "spring back" but not much.

Keep hydrated, do strength in the problem areas (eg triceps). And don't get discouraged, if you do have loose skin that sticks around.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Losing slowly, staying hydrated, and giving it time.

My stomach looks like melting skin... One of the "hazards" of losing weight, I guess.. haha It'll look better eventually!
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The best way to prevent loose skin is not to get fat and then try and lose weight to quickly.

where were you 25 yrs ago???thanks, TIPS>
  • INxFOCUSx2013
    Options
    Bump for tips.
    thanks for the bump!
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Ahahaha! Great movie!
    I hear if it doesn't put the lotion on its skin... it gets the hose again...
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    if you have stretch marks, you will likely have loose skin after your loss. That tissue is damaged, and will not return to its original condition. there may be some "spring back" but not much.

Keep hydrated, do strength in the problem areas (eg triceps). And don't get discouraged, if you do have loose skin that sticks around.

I've had two children. Both had extra amniotic fluid. My family thought I was having triplets. O_O My skin seems to be pulling back just fine. I'm sure it won't be gorgeous when it's flat since the stretch marks will still be visible, but it isn't sagging. At the moment at least. I have hope for my overly stretched marked tummy!