Tips on how to prevent loose skin

Options

Replies

• mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Lifting helps wonders with the loose skin. When I lost 25 lbs. two years ago through diet only I was starting to look like a deflated balloon until I hit the weights. I've been balancing weights with cardio this go around and haven't noticed the deflated balloon look.

Now my concern is stretch marks. I have tried Bio Oil, but haven't noticed results.
  • _G4BR13L_
    _G4BR13L_ Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I hear if it doesn't put the lotion on its skin... it gets the hose again...

LMAO!!!!!
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

^^This^^ is hilarious.

My personal trainer stated that a lot of it is about weight training. It can really help if you start EARLY. Lift those weights...and good luck. Regardless of loose skin or not, train and eat right and get healthy on the inside...the outside will catch up!!
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Anybody have advice for good fava bean recipes?
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    water, dryskin brushing, moisterize with a good extra virgin olive oil...and heavy weights...
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Tessyloowhoo Posts: 504
    Options
    Fava beans taste great with a bit of sauteed coronary artery and of course has to be eaten using the skull of the victim as a bowl...
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can prevent it that much. Maybe it helps a bit to slow down your weight loss, but overall I think real loose and stretched skin won't shrink back to the way it was before. That is why a lot of people resort to surgery once they are near or at their goal weight.
  • nattatalie
    Options
    I'm actually trying to figure out the same thing. I'm 21, and I have always had a stomach "pooch", as everyone else in my family does. I've lost 48 lbs since March 2013 and I've noticed that my skin is sagging a bit in that area. I've also noticed that my stretch marks are still very visible even though they've shrunk down a lot. I plan on getting some sort of cocoa butter lotion or a lotion designed to help with stretch marks. It's worth a shot, and I'm hoping it will just make that area look better and that the skin will retract as time goes on as well.

Best of luck!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned self-love and supportive loved ones.
    It doesn't do anything for the loose skin itself, but it does wonders for how one lives with it.

As my tummy gets more flabby, we are all quick to remind ourselves it is because I am becoming healthier and stronger.

:flowerforyou:
  • INxFOCUSx2013
    INxFOCUSx2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    TY for the bump need more info
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I hope this helps. I did a post not too long ago on this subject:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aquarabbit
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    All good info but sometimes you just are left with loose skin and at that point you have to decide am I going to live with it or have it removed... In my case I knew from the get go no amount of water, lotion, weight lifting, etc was going to change the fact I was going to be left with loose skin so I made the weight I wanted to get down to and then last September I went to my plastic surgeon and got a circumferential body lift and had 17 lbs. of skin removed.... 9 month post op and it was worth every penny and then some. I do not regret my decision at all.. Sorry to be a downer but when I see these post I want to offer the other choice as well. I documented everything pre-surgery to present and am going to be doing another round of pics soon... I have MFP permission to link it here so if your interest it is : www.gettingfit4life.com Best of Luck
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    @aquarabbit Great link! Thanks for sharing!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    All good info but sometimes you just are left with loose skin and at that point you have to decide am I going to live with it or have it removed... In my case I knew from the get go no amount of water, lotion, weight lifting, etc was going to change the fact I was going to be left with loose skin so I made the weight I wanted to get down to and then last September I went to my plastic surgeon and got a circumferential body lift and had 17 lbs. of skin removed.... 9 month post op and it was worth every penny and then some. I do not regret my decision at all.. Sorry to be a downer but when I see these post I want to offer the other choice as well. I documented everything pre-surgery to present and am going to be doing another round of pics soon... I have MFP permission to link it here so if your interest it is : www.gettingfit4life.com Best of Luck

Excellent news...I'm thinking of surgery when I get to my goal weight as well...thanks for this!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Anybody have advice for good fava bean recipes?

I have a great one that involves liver and Chianti ... Come over to my basement and I'll share it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Lose it slowly, lift weights, keep hydrated.
    Oh and firming lotions - I dont know how much they actually work but I feel better for using them :)

I agree with the rest, but how does lifting weights help with loose skin?
  • chereescott
    Options
    Exercising while losing the weight over time will help your skin to keep and regain some of its elasticity.

Keeping a healthy a nutritious diet along with exercise can restore not only elasticity to your skin but can improve your overall health.

Some extracts such as aloe vera, and soy protein can also improve skin elasticity by increasing your body's production of elastin and collagen as well as building a defense system for your skin.

Eating fresh vegetables such as cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, and coconut can cause improvements to your skin.
    Consider these home remedies to tighten loose skin before considering surgery, which can be both expensive and dangerous.
  • Nilasaurus
    Nilasaurus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump