Carbs or no Carbs???

Options
I have been using MFP sporadically for the last few years, due to being on medication for a few months my metabolism has went all to pot. I have always exercised, mainly because I enjoy it but recently I have upped my exercise considerably (mainly cardio classes Body Attack, Metafit, Spin).
I am trying to log everything and also keeping an eye on the nutrition part to check I'm getting the right amounts of protein etc. I am confused by all the varying information that you read regarding carbs? My question really is should I be hitting my carb goal on MFP with bread etc or gaining my carbs from fruit/veg? Or does it not really matter??

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter really. Personal choice.

just remember the macro goals on MFP are minimums of RDA.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not matter to lose weight...that said you may find a certain level of carbs that keeps you more satisfied...if you find your sweet spot: stick with it. I personally find my protein levels dictate how hungry I am: so that's the macro I pay the most attention to...
  • Charabz69
    Charabz69 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I find I eat most of my carbs during the day whilst at work (boredom most likely) but I was concerned that this was preventing my weight loss. Finding it really frustrating that my weight seems to have plateaued recently and thought it might be down to the wrong type of carbs.
    Thanks for your comments :)
  • Lipsmahoney
    Lipsmahoney Posts: 512 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I eat less than 50g carbs a day all from veg. 250 g protein and have lost 25+lbs in 11 weeks. Fasted cardio 40 min on full incline and 40-60 min lifting 5-7 days a week.
    Mom of 2 active boys and a F/T job... crazy I know, but it can be done. :)
  • Charabz69
    Charabz69 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well Done you! I guess I will just have to keep going, i'm not the best at keeping track over the weekend and this is most likely my downfall.......:(
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Charabz69 wrote: »
    I have been using MFP sporadically for the last few years, due to being on medication for a few months my metabolism has went all to pot. I have always exercised, mainly because I enjoy it but recently I have upped my exercise considerably (mainly cardio classes Body Attack, Metafit, Spin).
    I am trying to log everything and also keeping an eye on the nutrition part to check I'm getting the right amounts of protein etc. I am confused by all the varying information that you read regarding carbs? My question really is should I be hitting my carb goal on MFP with bread etc or gaining my carbs from fruit/veg? Or does it not really matter??

You should (for health purposes, not weight loss) eat an overall healthful, balanced diet. IMO, this includes vegetables and, for many people who enjoy them, although I think they are more optional, fruit. In addition to those foods, I also get carbs from a variety of other foods, like plain greek yogurt, starchy carbs (potatoes, sweet potatoes, grains, which include bread, rice, barley, pasta, oats, so on), and in moderation some fat/carb-based treats that I particularly enjoy.

So I guess I'm questioning why the either/or. Both are fine, vegetables are good, carbs aren't going to cause you to gain weight within your calorie limit, so if you like bread and want to include it in your diet, do so. I personally quite like starchy carbs when I'm doing lots of cardio, especially.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Those of us with insulin resistance find that a diet higher in carbs can lead to some weight gain, whether it is from overeating (cravings from carbs) or from hormonal reactions from those carbs, who knows. For those with some insulin resistance, going low carb high fat may lead to an easier wight loss. May being the key word.

Carbs are not an essential macronutrient. Sure, they are good for getting some micronutrients but those micronutrients can be found in other foods. Some people find they prefer carbs for fueling their workouts, but it is just a personal preference. Carbs can be fine for those who can handle them. The only way to know if you will do better with a minimal carb level is to try it for a few weeks of months and judge for yourself.

I eat a very low carb diet and exclude all grains and added sugars (except for the occassional treat which I am willing to feel poorly for the next day - it isn't many). I get all of my carbs - under 30g per day - from veggies and a bit of fruit every few days. I feel better when I avoid grains, and I believe my nutritional needs are better met from veggies than from grains. For me? I would just go with veggies as much as possible, add in a bit of low GI fruits, and skip grains and sugars.

My diet is 5-10% carbs, 20% protein (about 80g), and he rest is fat. I lost 40lbs in about 5 months to get to the middle of a normal BMI. Before that I tried to include grains and sugars in my diet but I continued to gain weight. Like a LCHF diet, moderation does not work for everyone.

Best wishes.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat less than 50g carbs a day all from veg. 250 g protein and have lost 25+lbs in 11 weeks. Fasted cardio 40 min on full incline and 40-60 min lifting 5-7 days a week.
    Mom of 2 active boys and a F/T job... crazy I know, but it can be done. :)

those macros have nothing to do with the weight loss tho...you are in a calorie deficit.

Macros are a personal thing and are for health and nutrition.

Ensure you are getting in enough fats too...1200 calories from carbs and protein...I would swap some protein for fats for sure.
  • Lipsmahoney
    Lipsmahoney Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I am working with a P/T who is in the top 5 of his physique category who also has a degree in kinese. and nutrition. I am celiac and in body building mode with the lovely affliction of PCOS. My cal are 1600 plus.
    Like you said, personal thing for sure.
    Thanks for the thoughts :)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Since there is no minimum RDA for carbs, I'd focus on hitting fat and protein minimums, and then let the carbs fall where they may. Personally, I do best on low carb, but that is pretty individual.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, unless you have a medical condition, carbs don't matter. There are some that do best on a low carb diet, but part of that is by cutting down on breads and the like, they have an easier time keeping on track. That's a personal choice, not a medical one, but if it works for someone, more power to them! If you want to try a low carb diet, there's nothing wrong with it, but after a couple weeks ask yourself it it's something you want to do the rest of your life. If not, it's not for you.
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbs, I tried a low carb diet and it made me depressive. So I eat many of them now and I feel great.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I eat lowish carbs. I try to keep it under 110, because going super low doesn't work for me.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have to limit mine due to medical conditions. I modify how I make things but I still enjoy cauli-rice and cauli-potatoes and coconut flour bread, etc. I don't feel deprived.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes. Carbs. Barring any medical conditions of course. Our bodies need carbs to be optimal.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    How many carbs and where they come from doesn't matter all that much for weight loss as long as you are in a calorie deficit. However, vegetables are obviously something you want to include in your diet to receive micronutrients and fiber, and they can help you feel full which can help you stay in a deficit. Many people change the amount or percentage of carbs from MFPs default setting to add more protein, which automatically lessens fat or carbs or both from the default. But that is not necessary for weight loss.

Vegetables are healthy, eat some, but you can also eat rice, bread, whatever carb you want, as long as you stay within your calories.
  • jasonsunlee
    jasonsunlee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The logic behind the "low carb" diet is to shock your body. You're trying to reduce your blood sugar and insulin levels - causing a chain reaction of things in your body to burn what's remaining - any visceral fat. There's nothing wrong with doing a carb cut, to help your body become more ketogenic.

If you're really trying to watch your macros while filling your daily calorie intake, try to maintain a macro of 50-100g of carb intake per day. Try you best not to be in a deficit. Consume lean proteins and fat to help. You'll be surprised at how effective this can be (although you'll probably be dying for some carbs a few weeks into this type of diet).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I find I eat most of my carbs during the day whilst at work (boredom most likely) but I was concerned that this was preventing my weight loss. Finding it really frustrating that my weight seems to have plateaued recently and thought it might be down to the wrong type of carbs.
    Thanks for your comments :)

Carb-intense foods don't satiate me so I can eat and eat and eat them. When I eat more protein and less carbs I don't get the munchies and am only hungry right before a meal. The sweet spot for me is around 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. This helps me to remain in a calorie deficit. Whenever I have a new meal or snack I look at the macros. Carbs make me sleepy so I have higher carb foods as a bedtime snack.
  • BodayJohnnay
    BodayJohnnay Posts: 185 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

It does matter when worried about calorie content with carbs.(How many cals) When my clients or myself are bulking, we have a surplus of calories, our carb calories are up higher than cutting and maintenance.
    How many calories are in that bread?
    Compare that serving size to same serving of veggies. The main thing to worry with carbs is the density of them. Some carb sources will be more dense (have more calories) than others.
    It's not easy for some people to eat clean all the time and that's perfectly fine!!

It depends on your goals, but also ask yourself "is this a nutrition routine or plan I can be consistent with for long term?" (Will you stick to this?) Balancing what you enjoy eating(junk foods) with healthier choices is life and a sane, as well as manageable one.
    If my nutrition plan for the day called for an additional 500 calories, majority carbs...can I get a mcdouble or even a mcchicken from McDonalds? Yes I can. I'm not saying go to mcdonalds... I'm saying if your TDEE (Total calories for the day allow it)
    When worrying about weight loss, its more focused on "how much" we eat rather than "what" we eat. Yes, you will feel different eating certain foods, your moods, energy, as well as digestion will be different depending on what youre eating.
    I feel better eating cleaner carb choices (broccoli, asparagus etc) but that doesn't mean you cant enjoy some chips or candy, or even a soda. ->*IF you have the carb calories available*
    If weight loss is your goal- Eat less, move more.

You got this!
    -PT John