Final answer on protein requirements?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    No one can say exactly how much you need. So idk how anyone will convince you of a number.

But seska was giving you was spot on with everything I've read.

The most important piece of retaining muscle is following a good lifting program. You say you lift 2 OR 3 times a week which to me means you're probably not on a well regimented/established program.

What's your lifting routine like?

If you really want to preserve muscle go for 1 gram per pound of lean body weight and lift at least 3 times per week on a good program. (IMO)

Thanks I'm on strong lifts but can't always get to the gym 3 times a week (w/out 2 days in a row) so on the 3rd I just do body weight at home
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Another vote for 1g/1lb of LBM here. (Doesn't have to be terribly precise every day.)
    With you being at maintenance it shouldn't be that hard to get it unless you have a dislike of protein rich foods.

Thanks it's not a dislike as such I just prefer carbs :)
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    You aren't going to get a "this is the exact correct amount of protein you personally need to eat to build muscle" answer. I've seen studies that show that personal protein utilization can vary.

The RDA for adequate protein for most adults is 0.8 grams per kilogram of ideal weight. That's about 46 grams of protein per day for non-pregnant, non-lactating women and 56 grams for men.

Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients

The recommendation I've seen for optimal protein (especially if body building or losing weight) is 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass or 0.8 grams per pound of your ideal weight (middle of normal BMI).

You have found one of the most controversial topics in sports nutrition:-) The answer I quoted is a pretty solid answer to your question. Your ideal protein intake can be any where between 10% and 35% of your daily calories. I know that's a big range, but it does take some experimentation to find what works for you. I'm 5'9" weigh 158 and I breastfeed. I'm doing Starting Strength and I add a day of moderate kettle bell training (4 strength sessions a week). The amount of protein that works best for me is 137grams. I know that it works because I'm recovering very well from my workouts and my strength level is increasing.
    Thanks I will use recovery and strength level as a guide too then :)
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    LPflaum wrote: »
    I use this article as a guide: http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/workout-nutrition-for-muscle-building

It states that a good target is .73g/lb of body weight every day (about 105g for you), consumed throughout the day in chunks of no less than 20g/serving. I would recommend reading the entire article, though, as its incredibly informative.
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    [Linked wrong video, see 2 posts below]

This is what Eric Helms has to say, its a worthwhile watch, cites various studies, and maybe after watching this you will be able to reach your own conclusion rather than cherry picking from the multiple opinions in this thread.
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/4livEPcsQvw

This is what Eric Helms has to say, its a worthwhile watch, cites various studies, and maybe after watching this you will be able to reach your own conclusion rather than cherry picking from the multiple opinions in this thread.

That one is on protein and workout timing. This is the one on total protein intake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOE2zIg7bN0

Thanks I will look into those