• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    This myth is busted!

jgx1h0z3fur7.jpeg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    There's also the need to explain on how animals that live of mainly fruit and "sugared" plants aren't getting obese.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest watching a few episodes of Secret Eaters, but I have a feeling the response might be a link to a Lustig video.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    saadstom8 wrote: »
    Guys,
    You probably already know that eating too much added sugar can make you fat—but how overweight or obese will you get? Until now, the research done on how sugar affects your health has been somewhat sketchy, but a new review of the latest and greatest science by New Zealand researchers has it all up a bit.

The results, published today on BMJ.com, found that (drumroll please)...

People who ate less sugar (without being told to lose weight) lost an average of 1.8 pounds over a period of 10 weeks to 6 months.
    Similarly, people who increased their sugar intake gained 1.7 pounds, with most studies lasting less than 8 weeks. Small changes, yes, but over time this weight gain can really add up.
    So why does sugar make you fat? The researchers suspect that, unsurprisingly, people who eat sugar get more calories than they burn off with physical activity. In addition, sugar-sweetened beverages are less filling than naturally sweet foods like fruit, so you’re more likely to overindulge with a soda than an apple. And don’t forget the sweetened snacks—they are energy dense, meaning one box of mini-donuts really packs on the pounds.

The solution? Cut back on sugar in your diet (duh), but don’t stop at the obvious culprits like sodas and chocolate bars. Keep an eye out for these surprising sugar bombs—and you’ll be healthier in no time.

Love the "Guys" in front of the article you quoted without including quotes: mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/study-is-sugar-really-making-you-fat

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    Guys,
    You probably already know that eating too much added sugar can make you fat—but how overweight or obese will you get? Until now, the research done on how sugar affects your health has been somewhat sketchy, but a new review of the latest and greatest science by New Zealand researchers has it all up a bit.

The results, published today on BMJ.com, found that (drumroll please)...

People who ate less sugar (without being told to lose weight) lost an average of 1.8 pounds over a period of 10 weeks to 6 months.
    Similarly, people who increased their sugar intake gained 1.7 pounds, with most studies lasting less than 8 weeks. Small changes, yes, but over time this weight gain can really add up.
    So why does sugar make you fat? The researchers suspect that, unsurprisingly, people who eat sugar get more calories than they burn off with physical activity. In addition, sugar-sweetened beverages are less filling than naturally sweet foods like fruit, so you’re more likely to overindulge with a soda than an apple. And don’t forget the sweetened snacks—they are energy dense, meaning one box of mini-donuts really packs on the pounds.

The solution? Cut back on sugar in your diet (duh), but don’t stop at the obvious culprits like sodas and chocolate bars. Keep an eye out for these surprising sugar bombs—and you’ll be healthier in no time.

Love the "Guys" in front of the article you quoted without including quotes: mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/study-is-sugar-really-making-you-fat

Wow!! OP, that is dishonest.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Also, even the conclusion states it's because of an energy surplus.
    Conclusions Among free living people involving ad libitum diets, intake of free sugars or sugar sweetened beverages is a determinant of body weight. The change in body fatness that occurs with modifying intakes seems to be mediated via changes in energy intakes, since isoenergetic exchange of sugars with other carbohydrates was not associated with weight change.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous

Study after study has proved that surplus calories lead to weight gain

That sugar is not an obesogenic

And that the reason the anti sugar campaign has legs is because sugar is generaly wrapped up with carbs and fat to create highly palatable and easy to access foods that people eat without limit
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    kinderlada wrote: »
    I agree,I stopped eating sugar 20 days ago ,and i feel great,just take your time and watch a documentary "All that sugar",here's the link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLoXZ-p9OlE

Strong first post.

The OP's, too. He currently has 3 and 2 were in this thread.

The main takeaway here, folks, is that correlation doesn't equal causation. Just because cutting sugar from the diet results in weight reduction doesn't mean it was entirely due to cutting sugar. The overall calorie reduction is what resulted in the weight loss.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    as you've plagiarised

"why does sugar make you fat?

The researchers suspect that, unsurprisingly, people who eat sugar get more calories than they burn off with physical activity. In addition, sugar-sweetened beverages are less filling than naturally sweet foods like fruit, so you’re more likely to overindulge with a soda than an apple. And don’t forget the sweetened snacks—they are energy dense, meaning one box of mini-donuts really packs on the pounds. "

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    This is ridiculous

Study after study has proved that surplus calories lead to weight gain

That sugar is not an obesogenic

And that the reason the anti sugar campaign has legs is because sugar is generaly wrapped up with carbs and fat to create highly palatable and easy to access foods that people eat without limit

Love that.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    The researchers suspect that, unsurprisingly, people who eat sugar get more calories than they burn off with physical activity.

I agree with most of what you say, but you lost me here.

First let's go over what I agree with. Sugar has no real nutritional value and doesn't make you feel full and satisfied. It has a lot of calories. People find it yummy. When you add all that up, it's easy to over-eat if your diet includes a lot of sugar. That's a real danger, and people are wise to look out for it.

Now as a cyclist, I can tell you people who do a lot of physical activity tend to eat sugar. Whenever I plan to spend more than 3 hours at a time on my bike, I bring a bag of peanut M&Ms with me. They give me energy when I'm running out but still need to get home. They're easy to carry. I can eat them without getting off my bike. Most cyclists (and runners and hikers) use gels and stuff because it's easy and convenient and provides energy quickly when it's needed.