Anyone else trying Garcinia Cambogia?

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If Dr. Oz says go for it...run the opposite direction. IMO these are another gimmick waste of money.

You beat me to it.

OP there are no shortcuts or magic bullets. Stick to the basics, a modest caloric deficit based on a balanced diet. Best of luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    You need to eat Healthy, exercise and give your body the nutrients that it needs along with drinking 1/2 of your weight in water. I found this awesome product, unlike all others. I stopped taking all of my vitamins and only drink this one drink in the morning. I feel better and have more energy, to the point that I am now walking 4 miles a day.

Are you insane? Drink half your weight in water?

• _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    What others have said....Total gimmick.
  • hmichaud09
    hmichaud09 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You need to eat Healthy, exercise and give your body the nutrients that it needs along with drinking 1/2 of your weight in water. I found this awesome product, unlike all others. I stopped taking all of my vitamins and only drink this one drink in the morning. I feel better and have more energy, to the point that I am now walking 4 miles a day.

I do this regularly... I weigh 201.... I drink between 96 and 135 oz of water a day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    hmichaud09 wrote: »

I do this regularly... I weigh 201.... I drink between 96 and 135 oz of water a day.

There's a difference between drinking half your weight in ounces (which many people find they can do) and drinking literally half your weight (that is, 100.5 pounds of water). I don't think anyone can drink half their weight in water without suffering serious health consequences.
  • hmichaud09
    hmichaud09 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that the literal 'half your weight' is not what was meant.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I hope not, but there is some value in using accurate language when one is attempting to give advice to others. Fortunately, you knew what she (probably) meant.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

And I was being somewhat facetious (we need a sarcasm font) given the spammy nature of the previous posts! B)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I took this for 5 months when I first started dieting a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if it was placebo or not, but I did lose a decent amount of weight during that time.

HOWEVER

I had a day around 5 months in that I ate lasagna. Until then I had been religiously 1200 calories a day, mostly low fat, etc. The day after I had my first cheat and ate lasagna I literally was in the hospital. I had stomach pains so bad that they began to prep me for an appendectomy. Right before, they sent me for a scan and it turned out my appendix was fine it was ATOMIC GAS. Yes, I know, TMI. But that was so embarrassing. I even told the people in the ER that I was taking the garcinia and they said "that shouldn't cause pain like you have." Took 3 days before I felt normal.

Before that experience I would have said it worked or was cheap enough it was worth the placebo effect, after a $500 hospital bill for gas....NO freakin way.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    It's a placebo at best. If you get a lower quality brand, it may have harmful additives in it. Overall. It's not something that I would recommend for weight loss. You'd be better off with spending your money on more fresh fruits and veggies. Maybe throw in a supplement to provide some extra soluble fiber or protein if you want to "take" anything.