anyone else have a hard time dealing with retirement?

I am not overeating and the feelings are coming up. I am still working part time and may have to do this for the rest of my life for emotional reasons.

I get so bored, restless. I am off work for a month right now because I work for the school part time and they start back end of August. I guess I have the A personality. Friends say to me enjoy yourself, slow down and smell the roses but I have much too much energy. I went to the pool today at my gym which does help but geez retirement is such an adjustment. Anyone relate? Will I get use to it eventually? It is easier to watch my eating but such a void or hole there.

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    I am not overeating and the feelings are coming up. I am still working part time and may have to do this for the rest of my life for emotional reasons.

I get so bored, restless. I am off work for a month right now because I work for the school part time and they start back end of August. I guess I have the A personality. Friends say to me enjoy yourself, slow down and smell the roses but I have much too much energy. I went to the pool today at my gym which does help but geez retirement is such an adjustment. Anyone relate? Will I get use to it eventually? It is easier to watch my eating but such a void or hole there.

My transition to retirement transition took around 39 seconds, but then again I am generally a relaxed person and don't need structured activity to keep me cheerful. I have friends who are happiest with specific reasons to leave the house every day, involvement in activities that accomplish things or solve problems in a way useful to the community, and a set of "work friends." If you find that working part time is good for you, then go for it. A person can easily smell roses while working part time :)
  • MaxineMarieM
    MaxineMarieM Posts: 50 Member
    Retirement took me a few years to get use to too. I have to admit there are times when I wish I could get a PT job. I do some volunteer work but sometimes it doesn't feel like enough but then I think of "Having" to work and I am content again to be retired. I say do what works for you! If you want to work PT go for it there is nothing wrong with not retiring , it is an individual choice.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    @lthmes0810 I hear that a lot "I now have time to prepare meals".
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    edited July 2016
    thanks for your replies. I have a love/hate relationship with retirement. When I have stuff to do I love it. I do go to the gym, most of them are older than me in the mornings. I am glad someone said it did take time for them and I am not the only one. I have worked only part time for 20 years, my husband says I am spoiled. He may be right or I would appreciate retirement more! I just think most days is this all there is? I miss people, have no brothers or sisters or kids nearby so that makes it more difficult or it is just A personality, who knows? Hey it is not all bad, it is easier to keep my weight down, 40 lbs that is from 4 years ago.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    I absolutely love retirement. I left a very stressful profession four years ago and never looked back. I have time to do anything I want -- or nothing, if that's what I want. I have hobbies and I love to read. I love hiking. I like gardening.

The main thing for me is to keep my mind active, and there are many ways to do that.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    I'm having a hard time dealing with my husband's retirement...I'm active & busy but he has turned into a fixture on the sofa except for golf 2x weekly. Driving me insane.
  • Luna3828
    Luna3828 Posts: 21 Member
    I am retired several years now and love it. Do not miss all the hectic work schedule or the people :). I too am relaxed and enjoy the life of leisure. We did not get to this age of retirement to be busy but to enjoy life, to relax and be happy doing absolutely nothing at all. That's how I live and I love it all!!!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    I am still working but my husband retired at the end of February from a high stress job, and he is finding it difficult as he has no structure to his day. He is a bit aimless right now, but I am not pushing him (though I wish he would push a broom sometimes...). It takes time to adjust to different stages in our lives. What is it that you miss the most - from your post, it sounds like the personal interaction with others (you "miss people") so go where the people are! Everyone suggests volunteer work, but I dont think thats for everyone - if you want total flexibility in your life, you dont want another commitment at this time. But be open to meeting new people - your pic shows you (alone) in a kayak - is there a boating club or group in your area that you can connect with?
  • brenn24179
    I wish I could relax and do nothing at all like the ladys comments above. Geez I would go crazy. And the other lady,go where the people are, like where is that? I guess I will adjust eventually, hope so. I do miss personal interaction but my gym is fun but much older people in the mornings. I don't golf. I like biking, hiking but friends I have are quite content doing nothing and so is my husband. I do go swimming at my gym this morning.
  • brenn24179
    IFabU wrote: »
    I am retired several years now and love it. Do not miss all the hectic work schedule or the people :). I too am relaxed and enjoy the life of leisure. We did not get to this age of retirement to be busy but to enjoy life, to relax and be happy doing absolutely nothing at all. That's how I live and I love it all!!!

wish I felt like this! I feel the opposite. Guess I don't know how to relax or want to. Hopefully I will find something to do especially in afternoons. I cant be happy doing nothing! Ya are lucky with that personality.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I'm having a hard time dealing with my husband's retirement...I'm active & busy but he has turned into a fixture on the sofa except for golf 2x weekly. Driving me insane.

I have a friend who had retired a year or so before her husband, but returned to work after he retired to preserve her marriage and sanity.

I see this in my mom's future. She just retired
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2016
    I plan to work until I die and hope to die at my job. I'd say that's a severely hard time dealing with the concept of retirement. My career is such that I can do that.
  • Karihappy
    Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
    We retired Oct. 31, 2014, and have been fulltime RVing ever since. We LOVE it!!! It did take me a full nine months to feel like we weren't just on vacation and having to cram every conceivable thing into our schedule. I finally had an "Aw-ha!" moment and realized, hey, we're retired, we don't have to do everything right this second like we had to while vacationing. After that, I settled into a wonderful retirement rhythm. I now love to prepare lots of homemade meals, since I now have the time and energy to cut up everything. We have been sleeping in and then still able to take long walks and bike rides. I have managed to lose 48 pounds since last July 27th, and hope to lose another 38 this year. This is nothing I could ever even dream of doing while working my fast-paced, stressful career. Good luck to you. Keep looking. There are lots of activities to get involved with that I know you'll love.

5229779.png
  • brenn24179
    I plan to work until I die and hope to die at my job. I'd say that's a severely hard time dealing with the concept of retirement. My career is such that I can do that.

oh my there is another one, I thought I was the only one. I have a hard time accepting it though. I have a neighbor 74 that is still working, cant stay at home. Then in the back of my mind I keep saying there has to be something better than work. At least I just do part time. may always have to.
  • brenn24179
    Karihappy wrote: »
    We retired Oct. 31, 2014, and have been fulltime RVing ever since. We LOVE it!!! It did take me a full nine months to feel like we weren't just on vacation and having to cram every conceivable thing into our schedule. I finally had an "Aw-ha!" moment and realized, hey, we're retired, we don't have to do everything right this second like we had to while vacationing. After that, I settled into a wonderful retirement rhythm. I now love to prepare lots of homemade meals, since I now have the time and energy to cut up everything. We have been sleeping in and then still able to take long walks and bike rides. I have managed to lose 48 pounds since last July 27th, and hope to lose another 38 this year. This is nothing I could ever even dream of doing while working my fast-paced, stressful career. Good luck to you. Keep looking. There are lots of activities to get involved with that I know you'll love.

5229779.png

That is great, Please tell me those activities. I am at a loss. This hot spell is not helping.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I do speak harshly of it. I am acutely aware that I am young enough that I will not get enough from Social Security to pay for my cat's food much less my food. I've saved in 401K and IRA accounts and I've learned how to use cash to generate weekly income from trading options. If these retirement accounts, presently in conservative and hedged positions, still exist at their present size in 13 years I'll be able to produce a very nice income. However, I may also be taxed at 95% of income, so I can't dream happy dreams.