Loose Skin

ekim2016
ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
Down about 22 pounds now and wondering about the loose skin issues. How bad is it going to be? I'm losing very slowly, the last 15 pounds in 10 weeks.

Replies

• momoftwins985
    momoftwins985 Posts: 653 Member
    It depends on different factors like age, genetics, how much you lose, how fast you lose it, etc. I have a lot of extra skin even though I'm young, but that's from gaining and losing 100+ pounds plus a multiple pregnancy
  • ekim2016
    I just read such sad stories of loose skin issues. Mostly rash or inflammation issues developing. SCARY..
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Sadly or not genetics is the only true factor in how loose skin will end up.....if its going to be loose NO AMOUNT OF WOO POTIONS/CREAMS/WRAPS WILL HELP PERMANENTLY .....
  • ekim2016
    Thank you all. I guess I am a worry wart and when I read about the horrid rashes and skin problems I freaked a bit. I already deal with eczema and other skin ailments I never had my entire life until about a year ago. So just do not want anymore! I am sticking to my health plan and re inspired by your testaments. :smiley:
  • ekim2016
    Also, but losing very slowly at about 1.4 pounds per week, I am hoping the old skin will snap back more????
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    Also, but losing very slowly at about 1.4 pounds per week, I am hoping the old skin will snap back more????

1.4 pounds a week isn't slow.

And for what it's worth, I lost 80 pounds in 18 months... been maintaining for 2 years and my skin hasn't changed one bit.

It's ALL genetics and how long your skin was stretched for.
  • ekim2016
    Well, I was only overweight for about 15 years until March 1st when I started this new journey. But my high was about 300 a few years ago. Managed to get down to 277 and stay there until March 1 when I got fed up of being fat. I'm 5'11' and was around 190 most of my adult life. So I guess my tummy will sag bad as I lose.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,505 Member
    It's all genetics. I was only overweight for 2-3 years. I've lost just over 30 pounds and I have loose skin to show for it. :(
  • ekim2016
    I guess will be our badge of honor to wear...
  • guillotinepress
    guillotinepress Posts: 1 Member
    zalmann919 wrote: »
    Obesity, not to mention age, leaves its mark...

To my mind, unless the surgery is medically necessary, it's exchanging empty skin for scars. That's not much of an exchange, to my mind. Besides, to those who understand what sacrifices are necessary, what sustained discipline is required to achieve that loose skin, it's something to be proud of. It's a meaningful testament to the fact that is possible to change, to take yourself in hand, and fix it.

That's a lesson not everyone will learn in their lifetime.

100% agree with this. I have insane stretch marks from my pregnancy, but I feel it's just like a tattoo, a permanent memory of my journey. I earned my stripes growing life and now I'm working hard to lose all the weight. I'm earning this looseness in exchange for more health!!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Well, I was only overweight for about 15 years until March 1st when I started this new journey. But my high was about 300 a few years ago. Managed to get down to 277 and stay there until March 1 when I got fed up of being fat. I'm 5'11' and was around 190 most of my adult life. So I guess my tummy will sag bad as I lose.

Have you lost 22 pounds since March so are at @ 250 now and want to lose 60 more pounds?
  • ekim2016
    I am at 254 right now, seem to be losing 1.4 pounds per week. I set my first target @ 225 then eventually like to be 200 again. But the skin is already sagging.. ugh
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I am at 254 right now, seem to be losing 1.4 pounds per week. I set my first target @ 225 then eventually like to be 200 again. But the skin is already sagging.. ugh

What's your exercise program?
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    How quickly would you notice loose skin? I've gone from 216 to 168 and haven't really noticed loose skin. I'd like to lose at least another 30 lbs. would it have started to show by now?

Similarly, hubby has gone from 332 to 247 and also hadn't noticed loose skin. He wants to lose another 60 lbs.

Did we just get lucky or just haven't lost enough weight yet for it to be noticeable?