Loose Skin

Replies

• Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I can't say that you won't need to have surgery. However, I will say that losing more fat will make a big difference in how much your skin is stretched and sags. The entire surface area of your skin there is lined with fat. That stretches it out and weighs it down. As the weight of the fat decreases and there is not as much fat stretching it out decreases, it is going to shrink. You have done a great job so far but have a long way to go before you'll be able to tell what your skin will look like in the end.

Thank Jen! Yes, definitely a lot of fat left. I am mostly hoping it doesn't droop lower because of health concerns. I don't mind having extra skin aesthetically. I think the only thing I can do at this point is wait and see!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I can't say that you won't need to have surgery. However, I will say that losing more fat will make a big difference in how much your skin is stretched and sags. The entire surface area of your skin there is lined with fat. That stretches it out and weighs it down. As the weight of the fat decreases and there is not as much fat stretching it out decreases, it is going to shrink. You have done a great job so far but have a long way to go before you'll be able to tell what your skin will look like in the end.

Thank Jen! Yes, definitely a lot of fat left. I am mostly hoping it doesn't droop lower because of health concerns. I don't mind having extra skin aesthetically. I think the only thing I can do at this point is wait and see!

I sent you a PM :)
  • Intentional_Me

Cosign. The leaner you get, the more the skin pulls up. I was horrified by my arms and belly at the midpoint of my weight loss. Now? They don't bother me at all. They certainly didn't shrink back all the way, mind you. But it's not awful like it was back then.

You make me hopeful!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    It will take your body up to 3x longer (or more) to reduce (not eliminate) loose skin than it did to lose the weight in the first place. It's just a sad fact. I'm almost 2 years into my journey, and have been in maintenance for almost six months now. I lost 125lbs total, and almost all of the loose skin is in my midsection. Drives me crazy but it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Building muscle through exercise, hydration, exfoliation, and keeping up on vitamins to keep my skin healthy has all helped along the way. I figure maybe in 2-3 years it'll be less noticeable depending on where I build muscle and how that skin gets redistributed. Hell I probably have a six or eight pack under the loose skin in my abdomen, you can definitely feel it but it's almost not noticeable unless you stretch the loose skin. I do a lot of ab work, and although I'm not saying it's not necessary, it has done nothing for the loose skin, but it sure did build the abdominal muscles over the last year.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    This is embarrassing but WE. Is there any chance this won't result in necessary surgery?

gqmwwshvxqmx.jpg
    098cshfyrz6d.jpg

its like looking at a photo of my own stomach so thanks for having the courage to share :smile: I started off pretty similar to your photo but have had a dramatic decrease but it has retained the same shape (droopy) but just way smaller. I am going to keep lifting and watching my nutrition and just have to give it time to see more change. I need to really focus on ab and core work (my next fitness goals). My advice? keep going and be patient with the process...good luck!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member

This is good news.

• Intentional_Me
    This is embarrassing but WE. Is there any chance this won't result in necessary surgery?

gqmwwshvxqmx.jpg
    098cshfyrz6d.jpg

its like looking at a photo of my own stomach so thanks for having the courage to share :smile: I started off pretty similar to your photo but have had a dramatic decrease but it has retained the same shape (droopy) but just way smaller. I am going to keep lifting and watching my nutrition and just have to give it time to see more change. I need to really focus on ab and core work (my next fitness goals). My advice? keep going and be patient with the process...good luck!

I would be a very happy girl with a smaller droop. Haha!
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    what scares me is I am getting the droopy stomach apron and sag on torso under arms. Sigh. I can't exercise due to health issues. I am debating whether to keep losing or just stay like I am at 237 . I wanted to get down to 200 and already lost from 277.
  • Intentional_Me
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    what scares me is I am getting the droopy stomach apron and sag on torso under arms. Sigh. I can't exercise due to health issues. I am debating whether to keep losing or just stay like I am at 237 . I wanted to get down to 200 and already lost from 277.

I know how you feel. Look at my pics but the health benefits and ability to do things we otherwise couldn't are so worth some loose skin!!
  • ekim2016
    Ok, good then so I will keep going. I am drinking a lot of water so at least exercising walking to the mens room.haha
  • Intentional_Me

We're all going to sag/droop somewhat as we age but, IMO, the more you weigh, the more potential for sagging. Your skin will shrink at least somewhat as you get smaller. I wouldn't let possible sagginess stop me from getting to a healthy weight (not sure your sex/height so I don't know what a healthy weight is for you.)

I cannot stress enough that the last 10, 20, 30, 40 pounds make a HUGE difference in appearance, even when you have already lost a lot of weight. Going from 40 lbs of excess fat to 30 lbs means losing 25% of excess fat. From 40 to 20 means losing 50% of excess fat. 40 to 10 means losing 75% of excess fat. Those are major differences and are very visible in the mirror.

Never thought of the percentages like that!
  • ekim2016
    edited November 2016
    thanks.. I am a gentleman.... 5'10 @ 237 but should get down to 200 at least. I just don't want to get the horrid rashes / infections I read about. I don't mind a little sag but don't want to get surgery either... hence my concerns. Already gone from 48 waist pants to between 42 / 44 amazingly!! Old slacks to huge to wear anymore.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    thanks.. I am a gentleman.... 5'10 @ 237 but should get down to 200 at least. I just don't want to get the horrid rashes / infections I read about. I don't mind a little sag but don't want to get surgery either... hence my concerns. Already gone from 48 waist pants to between 42 / 44 amazingly!! Old slacks to huge to wear anymore.

I had more rashes when I weighed more. The fat clinging to the skin weighs it down and makes it sag more. The more fat you lose, the more potential it has to shrink back up. At least that's been my experience.

I've stopped having rashes entirely.
  • ekim2016

.The fat clinging to the skin weighs it down and makes it sag more. The more fat you lose, the more potential it has to shrink back up. At least that's been my experience.

I've stopped having rashes entirely.[/quote]

that is most encouraging news! It does make sense that the weight of the fat makes us sag more...hmmm thank you :smiley:

• SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Just remind yourself: the skin doesn't actually look any better when it's taut and filled with fat.

And it can serve as a reminder of the bad habits you don't want to repeat.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaas!!!! :smiley: