I Messed Up... Again...Need Help

Options
2»

Replies

• druidkat7
    druidkat7 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I know I am adding my voice to a cacophony of suggestions, but this is what my phys. assistant told me to try: every time you eat something, look to how you're feeling in the moment, and write down that emotional state. Even if you are genuinely hungry for actual nourishment, check in with your emotions.

I understand the desire to completely cut out the processed sugars, apart from the emotional eating, that is. What helped me back off from the cookies, doughnuts, etc, is my fitness role model: my favorite singer, Ramin Karimloo (known best as the Phantom of the Opera). When I want a cookie, I stop and think: "hey, is this something that he would eat and still remain fit?" If the answer is "oh, hell no!" then the response is simple: stay the heck away from it. Because of this, I've managed to cut a LOT of unnecessary stuff out of my diet. My efforts are not completely perfect yet, but I'm getting there, and that's what counts.

Add me as a friend if you wish. :smiley:

Blessings,
    Kat ^.^
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    A week ago I decided to buckle down and get healthy. I even swore off processed sugars. Despite the HORRIBLE cravings, I was doing pretty good. Until life happened and things got nasty. I didn't go on a binge, but I did indulge and put myself over my calories. I realize now that I eat to deal with my problems. I'm an emotional eater. I don't want to be. I need to find a better way to deal with food when things get tough. Any suggestions?

I used to have horrible hunger and cutting way back on refined sugar fixed that for me, BUT that was after three years of working out pretty hard and getting into shape. Maybe you pushed it too hard too fast. I believe cutting refined sugars is a good thing, but you don't necessary have to go cold turkey. Fix one thing, then when you are comfortable fix another and so on. Maybe there is a sweetened drink you can remove first, then something else. Maybe it is something else causing the problems. Changing a lot of things at the same time can lead to confusion. Of coarse you know how you feel so you are your own best judge.

My approach might be too slow for you, but it is just what I do. Try something and if it works use and move onto something else.
  • paigeg150
    paigeg150 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I can relate and I clean instead. Lol I know it sounds like torture but it gets my mind off things, gets me moving (instead of eating), and I feel accomplished afterwards. A taste of instant gratification in this long journey. Good luck- you CAN do this!
  • brunette_vs_world
    brunette_vs_world Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think most of us have found ourselves in similar positions. The key to beating the "over-indulging" and "emotional-eating" is taking a step back and recognizing that you have the ability to stop eating when you should be done. If the urge or desire to overeat or eat some unhealthy foods is extremely strong, I would recommend getting out of the environment you are in. Go out, drive to a friend's, take a shower or bath, go to the gym, for a walk... Do something you enjoy and that will make you feel better. Look for other solutions to make you feel better. Make a list of the things that cheer you up (leave out anything to do with food!) and turn to that list when you are upset or frustrated. Hope this helps, and best of luck. You can do this <3
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    We all sometimes either overeat to much of the right things, give in to unhealthy choices, or just blow it sometimes. The secret is ( and it took me many years of dieting, losing, gaining it back to get this into my thick head) that THERE IS NO SECRET...We need to put our less successful moments behind us, drop the guilt, get right back on your plan, and look forward and not backwards. Don't waste any more time on something you've done that you can't change. Just do the next right thing. We are all given a new day every morning to start again. Good luck.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    After going on a 6 mile walk, generally only once a week I'm ravenous by the time I walk in the door. I've usually planned my lunch which I gobble down then I start raiding the cupboards. I mostly end up about 300 - 400 calories over for the day but I'm still full at tea time so I skip it. I've tried not buying certain foods but once im in the zone anything is fair game, even the custard powder has been a target. Naturally I regret it afterwards but it happens and I know it's not just me. However I always have to eat chocolate Penguins in two's to keep each other company in my tummy LOL. X