Love or Respect? Which is more important to you?

Options

Replies

• Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I am reading a book about love and respect... and the book says that most men would prefer to feel respected over feeling loved, (Not that they don't want to feel love... just that respect is more important to them) and that women would prefer to feel love over respect. If you had to choose one over the other.. which would you prefer? Your thoughts?

But...
    Has anyone ever heard a man say,"Will you still respect me in the morning?"
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Respect can exist without love, but it's tough to love someone without respecting her to some degree.

^^This

Respect is more important to me, love would be nice but not without respect.
    Think about it in all of your close relationships. Would you let your kids get away with disrespect as long as they love you? I expect to be respected by my colleagues. Why wouldn't respect be just as important in a romantic relationship?
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Pleasured

Love & Respect
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I would love to respect you....
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    Respect for sure!! The only thing worse than not being loved is not being respected!!
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options
    I couldn't have one without the other in a relationship, if either were'nt present there wouldnt be a relationship :smile:
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Pleasured

Love & Respect

_crafty_ + love & respect = pleasure

there, fixed it for ya
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I am reading a book about love and respect... and the book says that most men would prefer to feel respected over feeling loved, (Not that they don't want to feel love... just that respect is more important to them) and that women would prefer to feel love over respect. If you had to choose one over the other.. which would you prefer? Your thoughts?

Respect always, for out of respect is love defined and determined, then there's life; The tug-of-war; The challenge, TESTING the appointment of love via the trial-tests of nominated respect.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have one without the other in a relationship, if either were'nt present there wouldnt be a relationship :smile:

Yup
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    respect. every time.

but i wouldn't stay in a relationship that didn't have both.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If the other person doesn't respect you, then they can't possibly love you.

If they don't respect you, then it's something else.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't want one without the other in a romantic relationship. What would be the point of being respected but not loved, or vice versa?
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    OP, I read that book :) Good read.

I'm a respect person, hands down.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I don't want one without the other in a romantic relationship. What would be the point of being respected but not loved, or vice versa?

It wasn't an either/or question.... no doubt everyone wants both...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

But it's not even a plausible question... one doesn't exist without the other.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

But it's not even a plausible question... one doesn't exist without the other.

Maybe I didn't ask it in the right way... Heres a quote from the author:

"What is Love and Respect? We believe love best motivates a woman and respect most powerfully motivates a man. Research reveals that during marital conflict a husband most often reacts when feeling disrespected and a wife reacts when feeling unloved. We asked 7,000 people this question: when you are in a conflict with your spouse or significant other, do you feel unloved or disrespected? 83% of the men said "disrespected." 72% of the women said, "unloved." Though we all need love and respect equally, the felt need differs during conflict, and this difference is as different as pink is from blue!"
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Real love IS respect.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It's not love if there isn't respect.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Rispect 'man
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I already had my reservations about another book generalizing about men and women. The quote "as different as pink is from blue!" did not help.

My first choice is both. If I had to prioritize one over the other, it would be respect.