Allowed to be armed on Campus

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Does this training only involve temporary stressful moments or does it also involve, how to react to life altering scenarios, such as a spouse wanting a divorce and/or an employee losing their job because those're the significant events, that lead to law abiding/sane gun owners snapping & executing their families/coworkers & none of the background checks you described passing, can account for these future possibilities. Also some criminals just haven't been caught yet, thus no criminal record; to check upon.

Does this training involve a woman running/walking along a path and some guy want to rape her? Does this involve paying for a gas in gas station and some wack job coming in with a firearm and wanting to rob the place. Does this training involve going to Costco for some items and a knife wielding maniac waning to start stabbing people?

But i guess with that logic you need to get off the internet because you could be slandering or infringing on copy righted material and just don't know it yet. I don't want you getting in trouble with the law or anything over that....
  • CincyNeid
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've had a concealed permit for as long as I can remember and I'm a former Marine...I'm just saying their were a lot of people at my college who were nowhere near responsible enough to just willy nilly carry fire arms around...particularly as there really aren't any rules or requirements to open carry...nobody is required to go to any kind of training, etc. Just saying there are a *kitten* ton of just irresponsible people out there, particularly in their late teens and early 20s.
    Thank you for your service.....
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Does this training only involve temporary stressful moments or does it also involve, how to react to life altering scenarios, such as a spouse wanting a divorce and/or an employee losing their job because those're the significant events, that lead to law abiding/sane gun owners snapping & executing their families/coworkers & none of the background checks you described passing, can account for these future possibilities. Also some criminals just haven't been caught yet, thus no criminal record; to check upon.

Does this training involve a woman running/walking along a path and some guy want to rape her? Does this involve paying for a gas in gas station and some wack job coming in with a firearm and wanting to rob the place. Does this training involve going to Costco for some items and a knife wielding maniac waning to start stabbing people?

But i guess with that logic you need to get off the internet because you could be slandering or infringing on copy righted material and just don't know it yet. I don't want you getting in trouble with the law or anything over that....

Just wow, what a suspiciously deflective response; to my question.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    shor0814 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    A sign or designated zone doesn't stop people.

I agree but because of Virginia Tech, I disagree that it should be allowed since the assailant there; would've been what's allowed to be armed: a student.

He wasn't allowed to be armed yet he was armed how would allowing campus carry change this situation? Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying.

Obviously the Virginia Tech assailant, planned his crime but if a student with the same motives, doesn't take the opportunity to think twice before acting; an instantaneous decision could occur more often. Meaning that a law abiding/sane student could walk in with no intention of intentionally harming someone but then lose their temper & then do so because of an insult, directed at them.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the population is in enough control of their faculties not to just shoot anyone who annoys them.

Also, college students are higher IQ and therefore have more impulse control. Also, by virtue of the fact that they've made their way to college, they have more to lose and would think twice before doing anything so stupid.

This was not my experience in college...the majority went nuts drinking copious amounts of alcohol, doing drugs, and *kitten*!ng each others brains out...the impulse control was totally stellar...

I had a very different experience and a concealed permit at that time. I probably drink more now than I did back then. I had to keep my weapon in my car though.

I've had a concealed permit for as long as I can remember and I'm a former Marine...I'm just saying their were a lot of people at my college who were nowhere near responsible enough to just willy nilly carry fire arms around...particularly as there really aren't any rules or requirements to open carry...nobody is required to go to any kind of training, etc. Just saying there are a *kitten* ton of just irresponsible people out there, particularly in their late teens and early 20s.

I don't disagree on the training point or that there are irresponsible people. My point is that the people I do know, and have known, who carry are not that type.
  • sunnybeaches105

I don't think anyone is taking your question seriously.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited July 2016

I agree because they'd then have to question if their reason for having it might change, into potentially something sinister & they'd rather not. No 1 knows 100% currently, what their mental state'll always be. Mental illness, temporary insanity, unbearable tragedy, etc., can happen at all stages of life. So someone whom bought a gun a decade ago to protect themselves & had no intention to use it, to commit suicide at the time of the purchase; might actually use it for that purpose later & thus the person that they needed protection from, was themselves.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    I wouldn't be comfortable with that, but I'm anti-gun, for many reasons. At least once a week, while watching the shooting-filled news, I remember how happy I am to be where I am, and feeling somewhat safe here, so far.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member

I agree but because of Virginia Tech, I disagree that it should be allowed since the assailant there; would've been what's allowed to be armed: a student.

He wasn't allowed to be armed yet he was armed how would allowing campus carry change this situation? Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying.

Obviously the Virginia Tech assailant, planned his crime but if a student with the same motives, doesn't take the opportunity to think twice before acting; an instantaneous decision could occur more often. Meaning that a law abiding/sane student could walk in with no intention of intentionally harming someone but then lose their temper & then do so because of an insult, directed at them.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the population is in enough control of their faculties not to just shoot anyone who annoys them.

Also, college students are higher IQ and therefore have more impulse control. Also, by virtue of the fact that they've made their way to college, they have more to lose and would think twice before doing anything so stupid.

This was not my experience in college...the majority went nuts drinking copious amounts of alcohol, doing drugs, and *kitten*!ng each others brains out...the impulse control was totally stellar...

OMG, you just reminded me how much I loved college!
  • sunnybeaches105

I agree because they'd then have to question if their reason for having it might change, into potentially something sinister & they'd rather not. No 1 knows 100% currently, what their mental state'll always be. Mental illness, temporary insanity, unbearable tragedy, etc., can happen at all stages of life. So someone whom bought a gun a decade ago to protect themselves & had no intention to use it, to commit suicide at the time of the purchase; might actually use it for that purpose later & thus the person that they needed protection from, was themselves.

Your diatribe is one of the problems with people's perception of mental health. Way to help spread misinformation. People with mental health issues are several times more likely to be victims than perpetrators of violence.

As for suicide, firearms are generally the preferred choice of suicide method only among men, and everyday drugs and other items are also readily available and also very often used. I'll add that Japan has a very high suicide rate and yet has some of the strictest gun laws on the planet. This highlights the problem with ignoring cultural issues when looking at the statistics on violent death and suicide. It's also rather naive to think bans of anything really work when one considers the recent explosion of violence in Europe and our own failed efforts with the silly drug war. Training, education, and treatment are too often overlooked by those seeking simple answers to complex issues.
  • DeficitDuchess

Your diatribe is one of the problems with people's perception of mental health. Way to help spread misinformation. People with mental health issues are several times more likely to be victims than perpetrators of violence.

As for suicide, firearms are generally the preferred choice of suicide method only among men, and everyday drugs and other items are also readily available and also very often used. I'll add that Japan has a very high suicide rate and yet has some of the strictest gun laws on the planet. This highlights the problem with ignoring cultural issues when looking at the statistics on violent death and suicide. It's also rather naive to think bans of anything really work when one considers the recent explosion of violence in Europe and our own failed efforts with the silly drug war. Training, education, and treatment are too often overlooked by those seeking simple answers to complex issues.

My comment made no indication, that illegal usage of a gun; was only done my the mentally ill or that there aren't other methods to committing suicide.
  • CincyNeid

So how do you propose that we monitor mental health. IF the observer is a Pro Gun person.. then everyone gets a gun no matter their mental state. And if the person is AntiGun then no one gets a gun. If you do a panel of even numbers observers it could stale... if you get an odd number it's always going to fall into Pro Gun v Anti-Gun.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited July 2016

OMG, you just reminded me how much I loved college!

It was good times! Kids and family life and actual responsibilities have certainly put a damper on things...
  • sunnybeaches105

My comment made no indication, that illegal usage of a gun; was only done my the mentally ill or that there aren't other methods to committing suicide.

Did it have a point?
  • CincyNeid

You are however painting every gun owner as a ticking time bomb just waiting for the moment to lay into people with deadly force.

With Millions of guns in the hands of civilians and literally TRILLIONS of rounds of munition floating around if gun owners were as violent as you think they are.... you'd know it.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited July 2016

So how do you propose that we monitor mental health. IF the observer is a Pro Gun person.. then everyone gets a gun no matter their mental state. And if the person is AntiGun then no one gets a gun. If you do a panel of even numbers observers it could stale... if you get an odd number it's always going to fall into Pro Gun v Anti-Gun.

I am not entirely anti gun, hence my previous comment "Until these can be reasonably prevented, I can't vouch for gun ownership." Which is why I had no rebuttal, to the defense of such a minuscule 1% of modern guns; being accidentally fired because everything comes with risk. However I am not currently comfortable with the risk gun owners, can pose themselves because I don't believe that they're enough checks & balances. I believe that training using/storing a gun should be mandatory. Psychological testing, anger management & parenting classes (even if someone doesn't currently have children because they might later) before purchase. When divorce papers're filed, children're removed from the home by protective services, someone loses their job, their should be a temporary seizure for mental evaluations/counseling; since these can be very volatile times.
  • CincyNeid
    Evaluation goes back to my earlier statement/question.

Lets say you are under evaluation.

Jack, who is anti-Gun sits you down and talks to you, and ask you a series of questions, You answer them. He deems you not warranted to own a firearm.

So you protest it.

Jim, who is Pro-Gun sits you down and talks to you, and ask you a series of questions. The same questions Jack asked you. You answer them in the same form, fashion and tone of voice. He deems you warranted to own a firearm.

Who do you go with? Who does the state go with? Do you ask for a third [we'll call him Bob], as a tie breaker. How can we be sure Bob isn't pro-gun or anti-gun?

I do agree there needs to be a level or physical training. And here in Ohio said training is required to get a CHL. And who is teaching the Parenting Class. Someone who is Pro-Gun is going to want the student to take their kid to a range and show them how to use a firearm and how powerful they are. Where as an Anti-Gun person is going to want them locked up and removed from the child/children.

And I am going to disagree with you on removing firearms from a person without a violent convection. Our second amendment guarantees us certain rights, until you remove that right for yourself. And once you start removing rights over a personal circumstance, that's a slippery slope I don't want to go down. Just like you don't remove a drivers license just because you saw someone with a beer in their hand. You wait for them to get a DUI then remove the license from them....
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Armed always. No matter where you are.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,910 Member
    I am allowed to carry a concealed firearm in accordance with my states laws. I have proven myself to be free from all violent actions, drug and alcohol chargers, I've never had a warrant out for my arrest, and I've never had a restraining order against me.

I've passed my Background check with my local sheriffs office and I've passed a background check through the FBI.

My Finger Prints are on record with the local PD, Sheriff, and FBI.

My question(s) to you is
    1. Can you say that about everyone else that your DD is hanging around with?
    Can you say that about ALL people that have guns on a campus legally?
    [*] Why would you want your DD not around someone who has proven themselves to be an upstanding citizen in society.
    There are lot of people who are this way who aren't armed.

and with ISIS attacks being up, lone wolf attacks being up, why wouldn't you want armed good guys around to help stomp these terrorist back into the sandholes from which they came.
    It sounds great on paper. Still have to weigh in on the actual consequences though.
    My cousin is a strong gun advocate. Had a high security job at LLNL where he carried an M-16. Has a concealed permit to carry in CA. Has YET to confront anyone carrying a firearm or threat as a civilian. And believe me, he's itching for his chance to do it. So couldn't something go wrong here and if so, could it happen to an innocent?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,910 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Here is where I agree. We're not talking about adults with fully developed brains making decisions while fully understanding the consequences. We're speaking of 18-24 year olds. What if someone is drunk or high? Many times killings happen based on emotional trauma or distress.
    Also my concern would be, if any gun discharged occurred, even if it was to protect others, who's to say those shots don't injure innocents because they missed the intended target?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And yet we took 18 year olds and let them die in Afghanistan. I'm not a fan of our age system for criminal responsibility, drinking, etc. and would prefer that we stop taking rights away from adults.
    Well, the LEGAL system allows 18 year olds to make an "adult" decision. My point was that at that age, many may/will make decisions that they don't realize the consequence of later.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png