Master's Degree

Options
cbarn025
cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
Anyone have one and finding it to be especially useful? I have been considering going to grad school but everyone I know with a Master's isn't really using it. I think the time would be better spent trying to obtain CFA status.

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your field is in and what you want to do.

I'm an electrical engineer in the T&D industry but I work for a consulting firm. Due to that, a masters degree isnt as valuable as having my professional engineering license. My friend on the same team as I am has one and we make the exact same salary. So its not always financially beneficial
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I have a master's. Haven't used it. In fact the position I am stuck in doesn't even require my bachelors. But I can't seem to get a job in my field above this.
  • jbirkett7
    jbirkett7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have an MPA and needed it to get into my current job. Of course I'm still basically a paper pusher, but I have a few nice perks that probably wouldn't have been available with just the undergrad degree.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I have one and am not using it. Hoooray!

Friend of mine continued on and is A.B.D. at the moment and is having troubles finding employment as well. Good Luck!

I think your first instinct maybe correct. Undergrad with certifications appear to be the way to go?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I have one and am currently not using it. But Since it is in Higher Ed once go back to work I will be. In this field it is all about degrees.
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I got my MSW last year and the knowledge I've gained is really priceless. I'm a much better social worker, and therefore my families/clients are benefiting. I don't regret it at all. As far as money, it really didn't make much of a difference at my current job, however, I have the option to apply for a supervisor... which i didnt have before. And I'm much more marketable and will soon start looking into better jobs where you need a masters. I think you just have to look at your future plans and where you want to be. A Master's deffinitly won't hurt I'm sure. Hopefully, you don't apply to those private and super expensive colleges! I think your degree is worth much less. what's a CFA?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    the economy (in the US) isn't all that hot right now. There are a lot of people who are underemployed for ther level of education. However, that won't be the case forever, so now is a good time to invest in your future earning potential.

Be selective about which program to invest in, and go for it!
  • jackiesaurus
    jackiesaurus Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your field. It sounds like judging by the CFA you're in finance and it may be more influencial to get that and spend more time working and building up your experience.

I'm a biologist and I did okay finding a decent (consulting) job coming out of undergrad, but there isn't much movement in my field without a master's or higher, so I'd sorta be stuck working the same low level jobs forever without more education.
  • Jayiz
    Jayiz Posts: 39
    Options
    It honestly depends what career you have in mind. I'm currently studying Psychology and it's very difficult to get any job if you just have your Bachelors. I've been warned that I need to get my Masters at least.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Depends on the field. I have a bachelors and masters degree in computer science. In that field the Masters tends to get you about 10-20% higher salary than a bachelors degree, but doesn't really open up a lot of new doors. That said, I do find the Masters degree useful since you delve more deeply into computer science, especially theoretical aspects of computer science that are, at least occasionally, useful to know. It also looks good on a resume.

Compare that to, say, social work, where a masters degree is required in order to be fully licensed (at least in my state). A masters degree there opens up a _lot_ of new opportunities.
  • conleyclan
    Options
    I received my MBA with concentration in Human Resources in 2005. I have not used it yet! I wish I would have spent my time and money pursuing something other than my MBA. As of right now, it has done me no good. I have even taken it off my resume so I wouldn't look over-qualified for jobs! I have only lived in smaller-sized cities (30,000-ish) so my job prospects are limited...
    Good luck on your decision. It's a lot of money to spend on something you may not want or need!!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You should also be careful about where you get your degree from. A lot of the people who complain about having wasted money on a masters got it from Joe Bob's college online and can't understand why no one takes their grad degree seriously.
  • araromi2
    araromi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Id say you're young...get the masters...if you want it later it will be more expensive. Also pick up certifications along the way that will set you apart.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    World currently consists of a degree and experience. Masters are just for bragging rights atm.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Anyone have one and finding it to be especially useful? I have been considering going to grad school but everyone I know with a Master's isn't really using it. I think the time would be better spent trying to obtain CFA status.

I have one,and it has come in handy for me. It also put me on a higher payscale.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

It was good for me to get my Masters for my PhD, even though I didn't really planned for my Doctorate at first. I think its a huge opportunity to enhance your skills specially if you're working in the field alongside.

My time spent with my Masters helped me understand my field much better. Bachelors just taught me HOW to work it, Masters taught me WHY it works this way and what others methods are and why they aren't used. Its just more indepth and more eye opening imo.

I would highly suggest that you at least look into it if you're interested and not worry about others using it or not. I promise you that you will in some shape or form make good use of it.
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I got my MSW last year and the knowledge I've gained is really priceless. I'm a much better social worker, and therefore my families/clients are benefiting. I don't regret it at all. As far as money, it really didn't make much of a difference at my current job, however, I have the option to apply for a supervisor... which i didnt have before. And I'm much more marketable and will soon start looking into better jobs where you need a masters. I think you just have to look at your future plans and where you want to be. A Master's deffinitly won't hurt I'm sure. Hopefully, you don't apply to those private and super expensive colleges! I think your degree is worth much less. what's a CFA?

Chartered Financial Analyst. There is a three stage test you have to take to get it. To take the test you have to meet certain standards. I know four people who have it. They all have black cards.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm working on mine now. I think it might depend on the concentration.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    I knew going to into college that my goal was to be a nurse practitioner, which would require a BSN and MSN. So yeah, I use my masters.