Master's Degree

Replies

• supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    I use mine. ????
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    My boss is the CFO of the company (big global company) and she doesn't have one. I'm her Admin/Project Coordinator and I have one. The only thing I felt it has helped me with is understanding what the company does and being more aware and intelligent in the meetings. I was an English major with my BA, so I was hopelessly outclassed when I joined the financial group here....

Yeah, CFA. Much better use!
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    I'm in the process of getting my master's and it's the only way I'll be able to get the job I want. Haven't used my bachelor's though.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    I was thinking of pursuing a Master's too, but in the field of work I want to be in, a professional qualification alongside a relevant degree is just as good enough.

And besides, Master's are pretty expensive here and you may/may not get a sponsorship sponsorship from the company you work for, whereas with a professional qualification there is a better chance.

Don't know if it's the same in the USA as it is here, but studying for a CFA, could you be sponsored to study by your employers? I could be getting this confused with accounting - sorry!
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    here's what you do: find people doing what you want to do. Then, see what degrees they earned. Then, get that degree.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    I have a master's in nursing that was required for me to be a nurse practitioner. Mine has been used daily for the last 18 years.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    I have a Master's and I'm using it in my field.

I think it all depends on what your Master's is in, and what field you're in.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    here's what you do: find people doing what you want to do. Then, see what degrees they earned. Then, get that degree.

You're so smart. I'll bet you have a Ph.D. :wink:
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Mine has made me more readily employable and increased the range of opportunities in my field (IT), but I think it really depends on your field and, to some extent, the market in your area.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    My Masters allowed me to change fields. I have a legal background but did a masters in Instructional Design and now I get to indulge my creative side by marrying the two in my current position. If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the CFA first, then reevaluate in 5 years if you need the Masters.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    I have an MBA in Marketing. It was extremely useful--- for my company. Do I use much that I learned? Some.... because I'm in sales, I picked up quite a few useful tools.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    If you are going for Portfolio Management then the CFA is a MUST. I assume that you are debating between a masters in finance vs the CFA. Depending in what area of finance you are looking to get into one is better suited. In the investments area, CFA has a better ROI. The Masters is only good if it is from Wharton or some other ivy league. However CFA has less value in the corporate area.

I was working on my CFA 1 until I took a job in corporate finance, then I stopped studying. It is worthless in the corporate area unless by some stroke of luck you can get into your company's investor relations area.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Yes and Yes.

I have a MBA in Finance and it accelerated my career. After graduation, I did start out in an entry level job because I didn't have prior experience however I advanced/was promoted (pay raises included/bonuses) every year in my field.

My pay multiplied 316% in the last 12 years....I would say it was WELL WORTH it and like I said, promotions as well in terms of duties/job level/title.

It's a lot of work, but it pays major dividends.
  • angryjake
    angryjake Posts: 39
    My MBA is the single biggest mistake I've made in my life. MBA level jobs don't want me because I don't have the experience they want; sub-MBA jobs see the MBA on my resume and don't want me because they assume I'm just looking to move on to something bigger as soon as it comes along. In seven years, I haven't used it yet and doubt I ever will.

But I will be paying the (now with seven years of interest tacked on) $72,000 loan off for the rest of my life.

That's not to say the degree is worthless. Most of the people in my cohort were getting theirs on their companies' dime and were getting them to help them advance within the company. For them, it was quite successful. But for those of us thinking "career change," it--no exaggeration--ruined lives.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    If you are going for Portfolio Management then the CFA is a MUST. I assume that you are debating between a masters in finance vs the CFA. Depending in what area of finance you are looking to get into one is better suited. In the investments area, CFA has a better ROI. The Masters is only good if it is from Wharton or some other ivy league. However CFA has less value in the corporate area.

I was working on my CFA 1 until I took a job in corporate finance, then I stopped studying. It is worthless in the corporate area unless by some stroke of luck you can get into your company's investor relations area.

^^ Agree with this If possible do the CFA first, then MSF both will be critical in Portfolio Mgmt.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    My MBA is the single biggest mistake I've made in my life. MBA level jobs don't want me because I don't have the experience they want; sub-MBA jobs see the MBA on my resume and don't want me because they assume I'm just looking to move on to something bigger as soon as it comes along. In seven years, I haven't used it yet and doubt I ever will.

But I will be paying the (now with seven years of interest tacked on) $72,000 loan off for the rest of my life.

That's not to say the degree is worthless. Most of the people in my cohort were getting theirs on their companies' dime and were getting them to help them advance within the company. For them, it was quite successful. But for those of us thinking "career change," it--no exaggeration--ruined lives.

Hmm, wondering about this because I get job offers on a daily basis and have never been unemployed. It could be one of two things: the industry specifically that you are in or location that you are in for jobs.
  • cheers_b
    cheers_b Posts: 74 Member
    I use mine. ????

use and utility are relative terms.....I went back as a "mature student" and received mine -- and grateful i did it. It was a grind but has paid off in many ways: My kids got to witness first hand their pops working the books, sacrificing tv etc to reach a major goal. I have made a network of peeps that are invaluable and have led me to their network of peeps. I recieved a promotion as well as negotiated better compensation due to my new found qualifications --an in addiiton it made me more marketable to other business which enhanced current employer"s interest in keeping me happy. and finally self-fulfillment; i took on a challenge that made me stretch at a point in my life that i could have just "settled", and by doing that have reached a new level of confidence, intelligence and general positive outlook that hopefully will remain with me for the duration.
    I realize everyone is in a diff boat - and payback is unique to each situation--but atthe end of the day why not? Listing Pros and Cons are a great way to crystalize the picture..........best of luck to all and enjoy the journey.
    cheers
    b
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    I've considered getting an MBA every year since I graduated college and have yet to follow through. Initially I thought that it would help me advance in my chosen field (accounting). I've since learned that having a CPA is the better way to go if you want to move up the corporate ladder quickly. However, I've not been held back by "merely" having a BS from a well respected school. My career is where I want it to be for the moment and my salary has increased by just shy of 600% in the 19 years since I graduated college (geeze...that's a damn long time, lol). In short, I'd say the certification is the better and cheaper way to get where you want to go, at least in finance. Just my two cents :drinker:
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member

My ultimate goal is to run a hedge fund. I want a law degree as well and I think I could multitask law school with studying for the CFA. I've bounced around a bit as far as fields. I use to work for Fannie, now I work for a law firm. I like what I do now but it's not the end goal.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    I live in a town where >35% of people my age have a BA/BS and >15% have masters or greater. So there is tons of competition for me. I have not used my BS degree in the slightest, although I know without it I would have been passed up for interviews. So, I paid $$$$$ for interviews. AWESOME.

I'm getting a Master's degree starting in the fall. It really depends on what you want to do.I would do research in the field you are looking at and the area where you want to work.