Anyone else on the ketogenic diet?

Options
Hi I'm Brandi, just wanted to see if anyone else is on a ketogenic diet..I'm new to this app..I'm really loving it

Replies

• chrisleyland314
    chrisleyland314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was for awhile it works. But I'm just curious as to why you've chosen the ketogenic diet?
  • BrandiThompson1
    BrandiThompson1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've tried everything else...I have to say I love it my mind feels clear and I'm not in as much physical pain..I'm losing weight at a good rate too
  • taraLuckylegs
    taraLuckylegs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Branding, I'm new to this. Was wondering what your diet is all about? I've not heard of it before.
    I have soo many health problems I really need to be rebuilt lol :) and claim my life and body back. Hope you don't mind me asking :)
  • taraLuckylegs
    Options
    Soz, Brandi
  • BrandiThompson1
    Options
    I don't mind at all..The ketogenic diet is a high fat moderate protein and extremely low carb diet..What happens is you basically retrain your body and trick it into using fat for fuel instead of carbohydrates and sugar..your body starts producing ketones which are really good for you..Im. a busy mother of twin 1 yr Olds and I love how easy it is and the food is amazing
  • BrandiThompson1
    Options
    Also I don't feel hungry all the time I have more energy..the first week was kind of rough but it was worth it
  • taraLuckylegs
    Options
    It sounds good. Is it special food's or anything?
    Last week I had my gall bladder removed and just really want to just get out of my own skin. I hate it at the mo, i use to have so much energy :/. 44 and through pushing myself to hard my body has given up on me. I have an under active thyroid, stomach probs, fibro, restless legs, depression and trouble sleeping as in pain every day. Apart from that I'm okay lol.
  • xZITAx
    xZITAx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey Brandi.... I'm doing the keto diet too. I've tried just cutting calories but my body never responds the way it does when I cut my carbs and lift my protien. I find balancing my macro's on myfitnesspal so easy!! How are you finding it?
  • shrutfiord
    shrutfiord Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought the cookbook ketogenics, and loving the recipes. Delicious!a3s2zr0yva5k.jpeg
  • BrandiThompson1
    Options
    Tara I would wait until you fully recover from your gall bladder surgery..The first week of the keto diet is difficult..You will feel like you have the flu and have stomach cramping...Once you get past that point you feel really really great...But make sure you are healed from your surgery first luv
  • BrandiThompson1
    Options
    And Zito I am loving this app...To not have to write everything out is a big deal this app rocks...my biggest problem was food logging and setting goals..This app does it all
  • BrandiThompson1
    Options
    Zita* (Autocorrect
  • Bukovnik
    Bukovnik Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

Hey Brandi,

One Keto-er reporting in! lol

Youtube popped a Tedx Talk from one of my Subscriber lists; Dr. Hallberg on reversing Type 2 diabetes. I'm not diabetic, but my glucose levels had been climbing. So, after more research, KETO is the perfect fit. Fully involved, one is never hungry. I have to keep reminding myself to eat. I keep my carbs under 20 grams per day, and fats at 77-84%/day. If I'm having meat which isn't quite high enough in fat content, then I add full-fat cream cheese to the mix, or some walnuts, or such. Still have to keep the number of cals in check (for me about 1500/day), but that's where MFP makes it a snap, plus a gram scale with a tare function.

Congrats, and best with your Keto journey!!!
  • BrandiThompson1
    Options
    Thank You Bukovnik and I do try to keep my calories in check as well..some people don't on the keto..However I believe you should still watch your calories
  • shananagans23
    shananagans23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've been on MFP for years on and off and just started the keto diet July 15th with pruvit keto-os supplements from my chiro. It's been going well so far; I've lost about 5 pounds. I'm not as hungry and haven't gone over calories except yesterday with 2 cookies for my nephew's birthday. I have found it most difficult to get the right percentages. I've been averaging 10% carbs, 25% protein, and 65% fats. Overall, it's been good though, and I'm going to keep at it and give it a chance.
  • BrandiThompson1
    Options
    Hi Shananagans
  • Itlnchk
    Itlnchk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started it, did it for week full force and lost 7.6lbs! I got the "keto flu" really bad so I stopped, I know that eventually goes away but I felt lousy! Anyhow back on it today! I am convinced this is the best for my body
  • BrandiThompson1
    Options
    For some reason it's not posting my full post
  • Itlnchk
    Itlnchk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Keto Clarity is an awesome book! Keto shouldn't be high protein and it says you have to find your threshold just like carbs. Too much protein will throw you out of ketosis