Why do I suddenly gain body fat after running when hungry?

2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    This is the 3rd time you've asked this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10429991/why-do-i-look-flabby-sometimes-after-running#latest

I think the other post may have been deleted...

It's water retention and/or bloat.

~Lyssa

I know that's my bad, I wanted to see if I got different answers from different people.

You can bump your original post by posting in it to get more answers.
  • alexastoutxo
    alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
    edited July 2016
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    This is the 3rd time you've asked this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10429991/why-do-i-look-flabby-sometimes-after-running#latest

I think the other post may have been deleted...

It's water retention and/or bloat.

~Lyssa

I know that's my bad, I wanted to see if I got different answers from different people.

You can bump your original post by posting in it to get more answers.

Oh I didn't know that thanks. I'm a bit new here so I'm just learning haha
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    It's bloat, not fat.

Yup just bloating. There's no way you're gaining fat from running fasted.

What about when hungry?

That's what they mean when they say fasted.

Everyone has explained this to you. You are bloating a bit from the run. It's water. You'll pee it out. Chill.

I know.. I guess its because it looks fat that worries me and I feel a lot softer and "fluffier" plus it doesn't go away even when I drink water.

When you have water bloat, drinking more water isn't going to make it go away. Your statement puzzles me.

I'm not talking about water bloat, I ment water retention.

If it's water retention, then you need to drink more water until it subsides. For me, 3L drunk through out the day is usually enough.
  • alexastoutxo
    It's bloat, not fat.

What about when hungry?

Everyone has explained this to you. You are bloating a bit from the run. It's water. You'll pee it out. Chill.

I know.. I guess its because it looks fat that worries me and I feel a lot softer and "fluffier" plus it doesn't go away even when I drink water.

When you have water bloat, drinking more water isn't going to make it go away. Your statement puzzles me.

If it's water retention, then you need to drink more water until it subsides. For me, 3L drunk through out the day is usually enough.

Can water retention feel and look like fat gain though?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    It's bloat, not fat.

What about when hungry?

Can water retention feel and look like fat gain though?

No, i don't think so. When i have it i can press my finger into my ankle and it will leave an indent or i will have deep sock indent marks. I'm not sure how you tell water retention in your stomach??
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,054 Member
    edited August 2016
    It's not fat. You're not a medical miracle. Fat doesn't instantly appear, even when you overeat, much less when you've been for a run
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    It's bloat and i'm guessing it happens because your stomach needs to break down some form of nutrients to provide your body with energy during that run. Because you havent ate it breaks down the stomach lining resulting in gas build up. People will commonly say bloating is a result of water retention but bloating can also be from gas/air build up in the stomach.
    I have serious bloating issues, caused by numerous factors. I learnt this is one, along with too much carbs/salt and eating 5-6 hours between meals
  • alexastoutxo
    Bump
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    There is no human on earth that doesn't bloat after eating... Its normal. Bloat from working out is normal too. You're fine.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    You do not instantaneously gain body fat, just as you do not instantaneously lose it. :o
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    I do 5-7 miles every morning before I eat anything. Some mornings I do spinning class or cycle as well. If this were something that happened I would be huge by now.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    When you workout your muscles will retain water as part of the healing/rebuilding process, they will swell and that water retention can last a while and push what fat you have to the surface. You can appear bloated, you will weigh more and all of this is good if you are looking to lose fat. Don't be to focused on the scale and understand that day to day appearance or scale weight is not a good indicator of whether or not you are putting on fat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    2+2=4

There is no other answer. This question is similar so doesn't really need a bump. The answer is "you are retaining water, it's not fat". That's it. No other answers needed.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    If this were true, we wouldn't have a world hunger problem. You could just take malnourished people (since you've specified that it only happens when you're hungry, I'm going to say that most of those people fit your criteria) and send them for a run so they gain some body fat.