For those who have gym membership.....

Options
How long do your gym workouts last? If possible please outline your typical day's routine.

Replies

• stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I usually go to the gym 3 days a week. My workout is as follows:

10 minute warm-up on a bike or eliptical (I get bored so I do 30 second sprints)
    Bench Press
    Rows
    Overhead Press
    Squats (or weighted lunges)
    Deadlifts
    Bicep Curls
    Tricep (different tricep exercise every time)
    seated calf raises
    stretch

I do one light warm up set of each exercise - usually 10 reps and then add weight and do 3 sets of 6-8 reps. I probably don't rest as much in between exercises/sets as I should - but my overall workout is about an hour, give or take a few minutes.

The other days I don't do a ton but I'll at least walk or bike for 30 - 45 minutes and one day a week of doing absolutely nothing.

What do your gym days look like?
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    45 minutes to an hour of weightlifting and then some jump rope

2 muscle groups each session
    usually 3-5 exercises per muscle
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I go 4 or 5 days per week.

M/W/F = Total Body Weight Lifting - 45 - 50 minutes
    T/TH/S = HIIT for 20 minutes
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Are you asking about the daily routine? If so, here's mine in a general sense.

00:00 - 00:05 ... arrive at gym; put stuff in locker and say "hi" to all the friends/acquaintances I have gained from going to the gym regularly (if it's a Tuesday, I weigh myself before starting the workout)
    00:05 - 00:15 ... warm-up on treadmill for five minutes; warm-up shoulders with body-weight or lightweight dumbbells
    00:15 - 01:30 ... perform exercises that require pushing and/or pulling heavy stuff around; with short, frequent rests between exercises (also provide assistance and encouragement to fellow lifters as needed)
    01:30 - 01:35 ... stretch as needed; take progress pictures in mirror (not everyday, but pretty often)
    01:35 - 01:40 ... consume post-workout protein shake, say "hi" again to friends/acquaintances and ask if they had a good workout
    01:40 - 01:55 ... shower and leave (or just leave if I'm going directly home)

My workouts including a warm-up can last anywhere between 60-90 minutes. The longer workouts are probably due to waiting for stations to open up, waiting on assistance from fellow lifters, providing assistance to fellow lifters, and or being a little extra chatty. If you're a bit more social, or the gym is particularly crowded, then it'll probably add 10-15 minutes to a workout.

If you're asking about weekly routines (exercises), then it's
    Monday: Shoulders, some Triceps
    Tuesday: Legs, Back, Abs
    Wednesday: Off
    Thursday: Chest, some Triceps
    Friday: Legs, Abs, Lower Back
    Saturday: Off
    Sunday: Biceps, Legs, Chest
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I use the gym primarily for the weight room. I do Wendler's 5/3/1 with a body building assistance template. I do a 3x weekly split...45 minutes to an hour depending on if I have to wait for equipment.

I currently train for running races...I hate training indoors so I don't do it unless forced by bad weather, etc. I find that training the way you'll be competing is most beneficial. I am partial to a spin classes in the dead of winter though.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    5 days a week. I'm a cardio junkie so generally 45-120 minutes.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    In the gym for 60-70 minutes 5 days per week. 3 days about 30 minutes strength and 30 minutes cardio other 2 days all cardio.

Strength= New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I work out 5-7 days a week 2 to 4 hours a day.

Enjoy!

TASK: Get a combat-athletic fitness body and capability.
    CONDITIONS: Given a standard gym with barbbells, dumbells, pull up rack and a place to run (Treadmill or outside).
    STANDARDS: Complete the workout below and write down your accomplishments in weights and time over a period greater than three months. Muscle failure is important. If you can complete all three sets of an exercise with all 15 reps in good form then the next week you need to move up in weight.
    RULES:
    30 Second Break between exercises.
    Each Superset exercise is preformed 3 times alternating. Example, 15 reps of Lateral Raises, 30 second break, then 15 reps of Bent Over Rows, 30 second break and repeat cycle 2 more times.
    Full range of motion. If you bend that far, you work that far.
    DAY ONE: SHOULDERS AND BACK
    CARDIO Run 3 Miles for Time
    ABS3 sets of inclined situps. 25 Reps.25 Reps each. If the first set of 25 reps are easy or moderate then you need a bigger incline or hold a weight.
    Superset1Clean and Press to Military Press15 Reps. Start in 'deadlift' position with barbell. Hands outside of your shoulder's width. Bring barbell over your head, then military press to your chest and back over you head 15 times. Pull upsYou can use an assisted machine if necessary. If it is unavailable and you are still struggling, stay there until you can complete 15 reps.
    Superset 2Lateral Raise15 reps. Place a dumbbell in each hand with your hands at your side. Keeping your arms straight and at your side, raise your weights above the height of your shoulders. Bent Over RowPlace a barbell in your hands with your hands shoulder width apart. Bend over with your back parallel to the ground and pull the weight up to your chest then straighten out your arms.
    Superset 3Cable Pull down machine15 reps. This is a machine where you pull down a bar while seated, simulating pullups. Keep you hands outside your shoulders for your grip. Dumbbell Military Press15 reps. Keep your hands outside your shoulders. Start with your dumbbells at shoulder height and bring them all the way up until your arms are straight.
    Superset 4Dumbbell Row15 reps. Row a dumbbell with your back parallel to the ground. You can use a bench for stability if you need to. Make sure you preform with both arms. Upright RowStanding up, feet together, grab a barbell with your hands 1-inch apart in the center. Pull with your arms until the bar is to your chin. Keep your elbows above your hands throughout this exercise.
    DAY TWO: BICEPS & TRICEPS
    CARDIO Run 3 Miles for Time
    ABS3 sets of inclined situps. 25 Reps.25 Reps each. If the first set of 25 reps are easy or moderate then you need a bigger incline or hold a weight.
    Superset1Dumbbell Curls15 Reps. Standing up straight, weights in front of your body, start with arms straight. Full range of motion. Triceps kickback15 Reps. One hand on a bench, one leg behind the other one. With the hand not on the bench, pick up one dumbbell and with your back parallel to the ground bring your elbow to the same height as your back and kick back the weight and slowly bring it back down.
    Superset 2Hammer Curl15 Reps. Just like dumbbell curls only with your hands turned in so that your palms are facing each other when curling. French Press15 Reps. One large dumbbell. Stand up with the dumbbell in your hands behind your head. Extend you arms until they are straight and then bring it back down so your hands are below your elbows.
    Superset 3Barbell Curl15 Reps. Pick up a barbell with your hands shoulder width apart and curl with a full range of motion. Do NOT bend your back. Triangle Pushups15 Reps. Pushups with your thumbs and forefingers touching. Ensure that your chest touches your hands when you go down.
    Superset 4Rope Curls15 Reps. On a cable machine. Use the rope to curl with weight, similar motion to hammer curls. Dips15 Reps. Ensure you have a full range of motion. Straighten out your arms on top and when you go down be sure that your shoulders are below your elbows.
    DAY THREE: CHEST
    CARDIO Run 5 Miles for Time
    Flat Bench15 Reps, 3 SetsFull Range of motion. Arms straight on top, Elbows slightly below your shoulders but not fully below.
    Incline Bench15 Reps, 3 SetsFull Range of motion. Arms straight on top, Elbows slightly below your shoulders but not fully below.
    Dumbbell Bench15 Reps, 3 SetsFull Range of motion. Arms straight on top, Elbows slightly below your shoulders but not fully below.
    Pushups25 Reps, 3 SetsFull Range of motion.
    DAY FOUR: LEG DAY
    CARDIO SprintsFor 2.5 miles you will sprint every 1/4 mile and walk/jog the following 1/4.
    Superset1Squats15 Reps. Full range of motion. Hips below your knees. Deadlifts15 Reps.
    Superset 2Machined Squats15 Reps. Full range of motion. Hips below your knees. Leg Press15 Reps. Full range of motion. Knees to your chest.
    Superset 3Walking Lunges15 steps out and 15 steps back. Single Leg, leg press15 Reps on each leg.
    Superset 4Jump Squats25 Reps. Start in a deep squat with palms on the ground then jump up as high as you can. No resting position is authorized. Jump Lunges25 Reps. Start in deep lunge and jump and land into a deep lunge with opposite leg.

Note: This workout is for a week. You should stretch this workout out with rest days between most of the workouts.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I go sometimes on the days in between work. My line of work is very intensive in terms of being on your feet constantly and moving stuff around, (sometimes I even jog down the hall at work!)

So that said, I usually only spend 30-45 min. at the gym (albeit I'd like to start increasing that) and I just usually utilize the cardio machines (mainly the elliptical.)

I'm hoping to start lifting soon (I am trying to talk a co-worker into going with me :wink: )
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    45 minutes to an hour. I use the outline of Jamie Eason LiveFit trainer. I'm doing the 12 week program right now (not the diet but I'm using MFP to count calories and macros). So I just keep my phone with me and look at what exercises I have for that day and how many sets/reps I have to do and it even has videos for each exercise on form. It's like having my own little personal trainer on my iPhone. Then I do abs at the end (so 4-5 days a week) I make those up as I go along but I do upper abs then lower, then upper, then lower then add in obliques (about 10 minutes in all), I do things like planks, pulse crunches, captains chair, scissor kicks, reverse crunches, bicycle crunches, medicine ball twists, and flutter kicks. If I lift 4 days in a row I'll swim laps on the fifth day. I always warm up with a fast 5 minute walk at 5.5 incline on the treadmill or elliptical.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I am at the gym for about 90 minutes.

30 minutes of cardio and an hour (sometimes an hour 15) of lifting.

This was my lifting routine for this week:

CHEST/LEGS

10X3 FLAT CHEST PRESS (SMITH)
    10X3 DECLINE CHEST PRESS (SMITH)
    10X3 LOW CABLE FLY
    10X3 MID CABLE FLY
    10X3 HIGH CABLE FLY
    10X3 LEG PRESS MACHINE
    10X3 LEG CURL MACHINE - SINGLE LEG
    10X3 LEG EXT MACHINE - SINGLE LEG
    10X3 CALF RAISES - SINGLE LEG

BACK/ABS
    10X3 DB REAR DELT FLY
    10X3 WIDE LAT PULL DOWN
    10X3 CLOSE REVERSE GRIP LAT PULL DOWN
    10X3 SEATED CABLE ROW
    10X3 STRAIGHT ARM PUSH DOWN
    20X3 FLOOR CRUNCHES
    20X3 FLOOR OBLIQUE CRUNCHES
    30 SEC. V-SIT

SHOULDERS/LEGS
    10X3 MILITARY PRESS - SMITH
    10X3 NARROW ROW - SMITH
    10X3 WIDE ROW - SMITH
    10X3 FRONT SHRUGS - SMITH
    10X3 BACK SHRUGS - SMITH
    10X3 CABLE SINGLE ARM O.H. PRESS
    10X3 CABLE LATERAL RAISES
    10X3 CABLE FRONT RAISES
    10X3 CABLE UPRIGHT ROW
    10X3 ROTATOR CUFF - CABLE
    10X3 SHRUGS
    10X3 "DRIVE THE CAR"
    10X3 STEP DOWNS - DB
    10X3 CROSSOVER SIDE STEP UP TO SQUAT
    10X3 BRIDGES

TRI'S/ABS
    10X3 1 ARM O.H. DB EXT
    10X3 DB KICK BACKS W/ TWIST
    10X3 PUSH DOWNS - CABLE
    10X3 PULL DOWNS - CABLE
    10X3 KNEELING TRICEP EXT. CABLE (BENCH)
    20X3 AB COASTER

BI'S/LEGS
    21X3 21'S - DB
    10X3 SEATED DB CURLS
    10X3 DB PREACHER CURL
    10X3 TWIST CURL
    10X3 SMITH SQUAT
    10X3 SMITH PLIE SQUAT
    10X3 GOOD MORNINGS
    10X3 CALF RAISES
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm usually in the gym from 1-1.5 hr. I'm at the gym 6 days a week and my routine is different everyday of the week. Here's what I did yesterday.

Box Jumps 20
    Staggering push up 10es
    BB AB rollouts failure
    1arm KB swings 15es
    DB walking lunges 15es
    Decline sit-ups 15
    Tuck Jumps 20
    Pull-ups failure
    Underhanded dumbbell row 20
    Sprint 60 sec

Did each exercise back to back the repeated 3 times. Also, went as heavy as I could.
  • rosietown54
    rosietown54 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hate to do exercise, but I go to the Gym 3x's a week and do 45 on the treadmill and then the dry sauna..
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I have always been inclined to do more cardio so mine is this:

30 minutes on treadmill. I will run to one song, jog/walk to one song, run to one song, jog/walk, etc.
    15 minutes eliptical
    15 minutes on step machine, rower, bike/whatever

And then I use a ton of the weight machines

I am usually physically working out for 1.5 hours

Otherwise I am in a class, which range from 1 to 1.5 hours.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Mine is whatever I can fit in a day. I try to do at least 30 minutes strength training twice a week, followed by 5-15 minutes of cardio (I was told it was good to get the blood flowing to my muscle. Dunno if it's true but I do feel better after.).

Two nights a week are aerobic dance/Zumba. So that's 4 days a week.

I like to go there for swimming on Saturdays but not every Saturday, just if I can fit it in. If I end up with a loser life on Friday night I will go and work on cardio.

I also do things outside the gym during the week: cycling to work on good weather days, walking and running dogs, cycling with the trailer on my bike to the store, weight bench at my house.

I consider myself a "cross trainer" lol.
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    My workouts are usually 60-90 minutes, 6 days a week.

Sunday: Hour session with my trainer, strength training.
    Monday: Walk a few miles around my neighborhood, hour of Yoga in the evening.
    Tuesday: Sprints/walking for an hour on the treadmill
    Wednesday: Strength Training - repeat workout from Sunday
    Thursday: High Intensity Interval on the treadmill
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Long run (training for half-marathon)

All my workouts include a 10 minute warmup, 5 minute cool down, and 20 minutes of stretching after. If I dont stretch, I will be hurting the next day.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I keep the total time for my workouts under an hour. Weight training & cardio are generally done on different days. Weight training is usually about 45 minutes, cardio about 30.

When cardio & weight training are done on the same day cardio is ALWAYS last. No way I'm going to lift when I've just given my all for cardio. Weight training needs to come first.
  • RetroSnowflake
    Options
    20 minutes on the bike, 20 minutes on the treadmill (5 for walking, 5 running, 5, walking, 5 running) and 20 minutes on the cross trainer. I haven't added any weight work in yet (:
  • BunnieMommie
    BunnieMommie Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm there any where between 4-6 days (trying 6). And in there over an hour. I try to get in 3 miles on the treadmill, which takes me about 41 minutes (I'm not fast). And try to get in 15-30 minutes on weights. I'm trying to get it to where I'm weight training more than doing cardio.