Why oh why can't we spot reduce!!

Options
This is more of a moan than an ask for help. Everything is going well, the weight is sliding off me at a reasonable pace, I'm getting in for a stone down.

But... I'm a classic hourglass shape, small waist, big everywhere else! And this week there has been no reduction in my colossal bum and thigh area but a whole 2 inches gone from my waist. And I know that's still good and I know that the rest will shift in time but at the same time it can be quite frustrating as it means no change in clothing size and it's not massively obvious that I've lost when you look in the mirror.

Tell me your "Why can't I spot reduce" woes!

Replies

• caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Actually as I have Ehlers Danlos Hypermobility Type, my excess weight means a massive amount of pain every day, I'm losing weight so I don't end up in a wheelchair by 40. And even when I have lost weight that doesn't fix the underlying problem, my muscles will always have to work twice as hard as a normal persons just to keep my body together which is endlessly exhausting. But sure, you can have my problem if you want.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yes! If I could get my shoulders and arms to drop first that'd be fab! Nope. I lose my butt. That already wasn't all that big (comparatively). Sigh. Genetics. Lol!
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I carry most of my weight in my belly. As I put on extra weight, the fat didn't know where else to go, so my arms inflated. Now if I can get those down I'll be happy. I've been toning them and have some definition but at the same time I have batwings. I don't know how long it'll take for that area to shrink. My belly has gone down tremendously and I like the size of my thighs. Now that I've been deflated, just waiting for everything to move inward.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd trade some of my hip/leftover belly fat for more fat in my legs! I'm one of those 'thin legs, thin arms, all the fat in the midsection and boobs' type. Sigh.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    I'm annoyed that my belly won't get flat. Even tho I know it takes lots of hard work and dedication, I want it flat NOW!!! I'm scared to lose more weight out of the fear of losing more of my breasts. I NEED to keep all the breasts I can. :'(
  • mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm like you, classic hour glass. I currently would love to lose weight from my hips and my back and chest. But it's all going from my waist, I'm gonna start looking rediculous soon.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, lol. My stomach has gone down, but it seems like it's the last place to still have fat. I've lost 67 1/2 pounds, I'm at a healthy weight and im still wanting to lose because I'm not happy with my stomach. Ugh. :/
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I want my butt and boobs to shrink even slightly, but they just won't budge. Instead I keep losing at waist. If this keeps going I will end up looking like Jessica Rabbit.

Nothing wrong with that.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    This is more of a moan than an ask for help. Everything is going well, the weight is sliding off me at a reasonable pace, I'm getting in for a stone down.

But... I'm a classic hourglass shape, small waist, big everywhere else! And this week there has been no reduction in my colossal bum and thigh area but a whole 2 inches gone from my waist. And I know that's still good and I know that the rest will shift in time but at the same time it can be quite frustrating as it means no change in clothing size and it's not massively obvious that I've lost when you look in the mirror.

Im an hourglass too, so I have big upper thighs and big boobs. if I had my way, I would shrink those areas first but alas, we can't choose where the fat comes off.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    I want my butt and boobs to shrink even slightly, but they just won't budge. Instead I keep losing at waist. If this keeps going I will end up looking like Jessica Rabbit.

Nothing wrong with that.

It kinda is. I don't think other people realize what a pain being a hourglass is. What fits in the chest for me does not fit in the waist [too big], and also big chests = back and shoulder problems. Also what fits in the hips does not fit my lower legs. I have little chicken legs halfway down but my thighs are big, so pants hardly ever fit correctly. Thank goodness I know how to alter clothes.
  • Colorscheme
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

This is where you can totally blame your parents.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I dont know, my mom is an apple shape and there's three of us. Im an hourglass, my sister is a banana and my other sister is a pear. It's strange! You'd think since we all have the same genes, we'd have similar heights and body shapes but nope. The banana shaped sister is the tallest [5'8], I'm in the middle [5'7], and the pear shaped sister is the shortest [5'6]. We each have an inch difference in height.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My legs... Im pretty lucky in the sense that i lose weight moderately all over, but my legs still feel HUGE.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I definitely know what you mean. I'm a pear shape. While my midsection isn't trim by any means, it's definitely smaller than my lower half. I'm at a normal weight but my thighs/hips are still flabby. So I started strength training about a month ago in hopes to firm up my lower body. Unfortunately having wider hips is probably genetic, though I am the smallest one in my immediate family.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Being an hourglass may be the Hollywood ideal but no one has told clothing stores this. I can't wear trousers or shirts and I have to be really careful with skirts which might seem a decent length at the front but barely covers my bum at the back!
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but many women out there would love your figure. Maybe focus on becoming healthy overall (mentally & Physically) and it will all come together. Best of luck!