Point of Walking

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Walking is fun, it gives me extra calories to eat, time to unwind, better blood pressure, better heart health, it's the best recovery exercise the day following a hard workout or while recovering from certain injuries, it's not costly, it can be done anywhere (I even walk around the house sometimes while on the phone). What exactly are you trying to get out of walking that your friend doesn't think is worth it?

When after a hike I get 800 extra calories and I could indulge in whatever I want, that's not nothing. Let alone how great the hike itself feels.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    OP, is your acquaintance a gym junkie, by any chance?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    OP, is your acquaintance a gym junkie, by any chance?

That was my first thought..
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'll echo all the walking support. I'm 5'3" and 108 pounds which many people would consider a weight that is hard to maintain or are under the impression that you'd have to starve to be that weight. I walk daily and, depending on how much I've walked, I can happily eat 1900 to 2300 calories per day and sometimes still have calories left on the table if I've done other exercise that day.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Green605 wrote: »
    I asked one of my acquaintances on here if walking does anything, especially walking fast. He told me walking and doing cardio exercise basically does only a little. So what would that mean without going to a gym ur screwed? That doesn't make total sense. This summer I've been going on walking and hiking trips in the park.. So is there any point of walking all this much? I don't eat like a filthy pig either.

Well, walking isn't only good for people who eat like filthy pigs. Nice clean people like you who eat like flitting sparrows swooping gracefully amongst the willows can benefit from walking too.

Thank you for the chuckle!
  • johambini
    johambini Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. I jog a mile in the morning and then walk a mile in the evening. All great for the heart, mind and keeping toned legs! Well done and keep up with what you are doing X
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Diet for weight management. Cardio for feeling good. Gym for looking good naked.

All healthful. Different results.

I'm tired of this highly subjective trope.

The gym is not required to look good naked since "look good" is highly subjective and not everyone agrees that the physique that can be attained in the gym (presumably with a progressive resistance program) is the only one that looks good naked.

I didn't see this earlier, but I agree wholeheartedly. I feel like one of the reasons why this trope exists is because people can use it as a scapegoat; "Well, I would put effort into my physique/weight loss but I can't afford/don't have a gym near me, so I can't". I've seen people that have been hitting the gym for over a year that have similar aesthetic goals to myself but have not achieved half of what I have in that sense. I do lift weights, but I'm not currently in the gym trying to deadlift 200+ pounds because the body I want doesn't require that. If I ever stop seeing progress, maybe I'll aim for something more intense but that has yet to happen. If someone really wants something, they'll get it done with the resources they have instead of focusing on what they don't have or think they may need. All walking takes is your own feet and has a multitude of benefits.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    No amount of physical activity and movement is pointless. I do long walks at moderate pace for stress relief, elliptical for hiit, pilates for core..point is there is benefits to ALL things physical activity. Taylor it to your own needs and goals
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I asked one of my acquaintances on here if walking does anything, especially walking fast. He told me walking and doing cardio exercise basically does only a little. So what would that mean without going to a gym ur screwed? That doesn't make total sense. This summer I've been going on walking and hiking trips in the park.. So is there any point of walking all this much? I don't eat like a filthy pig either.

Can't you tell the difference in how your body feels since you've started walking and hiking?

Strength training has other benefits. For optimal health, one should do both cardio and strength training.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Diet for weight management. Cardio for feeling good. Gym for looking good naked.

All healthful. Different results.

I'm tired of this highly subjective trope.

The gym is not required to look good naked since "look good" is highly subjective and not everyone agrees that the physique that can be attained in the gym (presumably with a progressive resistance program) is the only one that looks good naked.

Well, "look good naked" is sure more appealing than "preserve your strength so you won't end up in a nursing home prematurely." ;)

I've spent a lot of time in nursing homes over the last three years with my OH's parents and am so glad my mother does both cardio and strength training.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I exercise for the mental-health benefits more than the physical. Maybe. At least as-much-as
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Most week days I walk for 3 hours a day, when it's not school holidays, 2 because I have to ( school kids commute) and 1 because I really enjoy it. It's a great all round exercise and it helps to tone up the areas the weight is dropping from with my diet.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set as sedentary, and when my walks each day total >5 miles, I tend to earn around 800kcal of extra food I can eat. That's made a huge difference for me in the past few months that I've been walking. I rarely eat over my weekly goal now, I'm dropping weight faster than expected, and it's helping my stress levels.

I think walking is amazing.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    walking can help because it can create a higher calorie deficit. the calorie deficit is where you lose weight, exercise is not needed but you know, a good run helps me eat more which i greatly appreciate
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Consider the source. Everyone has opinions, but that does not mean everyone is an expert about everything.

Walking is good for heart health/fitness.

• RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I walk competitively, and I have won an age award at a half marathon coming in under 2:30. You can walk at a very high intensity, a low intensity or anything in between.

The benefit for me is that I take much less pounding than when I run, so I can train more with a lower injury risk.

It can be an excellent cardio workout!

It has the advantage that people with a fair bit to lose often feel more comfortable walking in public; and you can start slow so that it is much more pleasant.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    An added bonus is almost anyone can do it.
    hzc6b4jfal3c.gif