Point of Walking

Options
I asked one of my acquaintances on here if walking does anything, especially walking fast. He told me walking and doing cardio exercise basically does only a little. So what would that mean without going to a gym ur screwed? That doesn't make total sense. This summer I've been going on walking and hiking trips in the park.. So is there any point of walking all this much? I don't eat like a filthy pig either.

Replies

• Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Walking completely helps with my diet. I walk 5.5 miles, very quickly (4 mph), and burn at least 500 calories each time. I am then able to eat make some of those calories.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Walking and cardio is fantastic...your acquaintance really does not have much of a clue about it, if he says it does "only a little"
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you'd do more than walking, but life isn't ideal. Walking is AWESOME. At the end of the day, what matters is that you're doing whatever you're willing and able to stick to and meeting your goals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Green605 wrote: »
    I asked one of my acquaintances on here if walking does anything, especially walking fast. He told me walking and doing cardio exercise basically does only a little. So what would that mean without going to a gym ur screwed? That doesn't make total sense. This summer I've been going on walking and hiking trips in the park.. So is there any point of walking all this much? I don't eat like a filthy pig either.

Your friend is wrong. Walking, moving, is great for you. There's more to health than burning a few calories. Should you do some sort of weight bearing/resistance exercise? Yes. THAT is good for you as well. Does it need to be lifting weights in a gym? No.

Being active is very important for health. And, for interests sake, google "N.E.A.T" "Non-exercise thermogenesis".
  • 76thrasher
    76thrasher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Walking every morning of course helps with my calorie goals. I've also noticed if I skip the morning walk, I'm more likely to make poor food choices and then feel sluggish throughout the day.
  • tanimr18
    tanimr18 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Watch the video my doctor told me to watch on YouTube: 23 and 1/2 hours by Dr Mike Evans. It's an extremely informative 9 minute video, really helped me! I walk at least 6 days a week now, and no longer have to be on high blood pressure meds, and have lost 27 lbs.
  • saraSM1
    saraSM1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Walking is a fantastic exercise for weight loss, By walking 45 minute a day you will burn 225 to 360 calories. Consequently, with this pace you can lose one pounds a week if you walk 45 minute a day every day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Without my walking i would struggle to stay in a deficit. Walking lots everyday helps me in many ways.