Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So... Cinnamon over hyped or dark horse?

Options
I've recently started adding cinnamon to my protein shakes, porridge and other foods for the reported health benefits. My reasoning being (as long as you don't consume copious amounts of it) it's not going to do me any damage its relatively cheap, tastes nice and the reported benefits of reduced inflammation and helping the body to use glucose better, it's a bit of a win win for me... Thoughts?

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Dunno - but I like the taste and I add it to my protein oats every morning. And to my pumpkin too.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I also don't know, but I love cinnamon and sometimes I add it to my protein shakes, coffee, Greek yogurt, or sprinkle it on apples. If anything it adds extra flavor to things without having to add a bunch of extra calories.
  • loridz
    loridz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't know the answer, but I love cinnamon and would use it for the taste, regardless of the extra health benefits it may or may not have!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    There's so much hype in the food and nutrition world, I assume that's what it is about cinnamon. But it tastes good. I like it in tea.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I need it paired with something else, usually sugar.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Same. I put it in the coffee filter w the coffee when I brew it, seriously good.
    I get organic cinnamon, I read non-organic has tons of chemicals.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've also heard it's good and add it. I add ginger too. But not too much!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If your going to use cinnamon regularly, go for Ceylon over the more abundant supermarket cassia cinnamon.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Jerry Seinfeld sums up my thoughts on cinnamon exactly here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNcrrwQwskw
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Overhyped. If Dr. Oz pushed/pushes it then it's overhyped.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I use 1 tsp of cinnamon a day and have for a couple of years as an addition to my breakfast porridg, for it's purported positive effect on insulin sensitivity. Don't know if it is the thing helping me to stay at a 'good' A1c, but have noticed a higher first reading on the day following a breakfast where I did not use it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Sprinkled on popcorn.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »

Sprinkled on popcorn.

^^^ Sounds yummy!

I like my cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on toast with butter. Or in a Cinnabon!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Overhyped. If Dr. Oz pushed/pushes it then it's overhyped.

who?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Same. I put it in the coffee filter w the coffee when I brew it, seriously good.
    I get organic cinnamon, I read non-organic has tons of chemicals.

Ground cinnamon often has things added (like flour and anti caking agents, not all that scary unless one is celiac, and in small amounts) to help with, well, caking. I don't think this is about organic vs. not, but ground vs. not. If one is really into improving taste, most spices are better if you grind them yourself and of course keep track of the dates they were sold/ground. (Not that I always do this.)

The ceylon vs. saigon (cassia, most ground cinnamon and in fact most supermarket cinnamon) isn't about organic vs. not either. It's about them being different species or varieties of the plant. My understanding is that some think ceylon tastes better (and since it's less common that's always a plus for some), whereas at least some say the other variety is better in many dishes in which it's used (especially savory ones). The supposed dangers of cassia is about it having warfarin (a blood thinner -- one my mom had a terrifying experience with, so I get it), but the amounts are so low that it's not an issue.

Of course, I think a good bit of the "organic" thing can be just feeling all special.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I must be the only person that hates cinnamon!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    I must be the only person that hates cinnamon!

Blasphemy!!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I've recently started adding cinnamon to my protein shakes, porridge and other foods for the reported health benefits. My reasoning being (as long as you don't consume copious amounts of it) it's not going to do me any damage its relatively cheap, tastes nice and the reported benefits of reduced inflammation and helping the body to use glucose better, it's a bit of a win win for me... Thoughts?

I LOVE cinnamon! Boil or bake some yams in cubes, then put some sugar (or sugar substitute), butter (or margarine) and lots of cinnamon! Mmmm.......deslish snack!