Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So... Cinnamon over hyped or dark horse?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    I must be the only person that hates cinnamon!

Blasphemy!!!

Exactly what I was going to say!!!!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I've recently started adding cinnamon to my protein shakes, porridge and other foods for the reported health benefits. My reasoning being (as long as you don't consume copious amounts of it) it's not going to do me any damage its relatively cheap, tastes nice and the reported benefits of reduced inflammation and helping the body to use glucose better, it's a bit of a win win for me... Thoughts?

I LOVE cinnamon! Boil or bake some yams in cubes, then put some sugar (or sugar substitute), butter (or margarine) and lots of cinnamon! Mmmm.......deslish snack!

This sounds so good. I'm going to buy a yam for camping and adapt a little.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I've recently started adding cinnamon to my protein shakes, porridge and other foods for the reported health benefits. My reasoning being (as long as you don't consume copious amounts of it) it's not going to do me any damage its relatively cheap, tastes nice and the reported benefits of reduced inflammation and helping the body to use glucose better, it's a bit of a win win for me... Thoughts?

I LOVE cinnamon! Boil or bake some yams in cubes, then put some sugar (or sugar substitute), butter (or margarine) and lots of cinnamon! Mmmm.......deslish snack!

I read that as "adopt a little" and I'm like "Good on him/her for adopting a little yam."
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    I need it paired with something else, usually sugar.

In oatmeal raisin cookies...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I make my coffee on weekends at home. I've occasionally added a stick of cinnamon to my coffee cup. Sunday I had the brilliant idea of putting the cinnamon stick in the coffee pot at the beginning of the brew process. Success! I also used cinnamon and butter and jicama to make some oven-heated deliciousness.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    I hate cinnamon and I also have a mild allergy to it so it is not allowed it in my house or my food. Even the smell makes me gag. :s Therefore, it is not healthy for me.
  • Tretop76
    Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
    I started taking 2000 mg of cinnamon and chromium to treat my type 2 diabetes instead of the other meds my doctor wanted to put me on. My highest numbers before the cinnamon were 488, a few months back and this morning it was 123. So it definitely works for regulating my glucose.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    Don't mind me, just cleaning up the thread. And I would like to remind people of the following rules:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

6. No Intentionally Hurtful Posts

Topics or posts which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors. At our discretion, any post referring to the behavior or posts of other users of the site will be removed.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    I must be the only person that hates cinnamon!

You are not! Read my post above.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    There are nutritional benefits, but it's not substantial...it's over hyped just like all or any "superfood"
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I read that as "adopt a little" and I'm like "Good on him/her for adopting a little yam."

Turned out to be a big yam, and it was raining to hard to cook it last night. Today! I shall report back. I have thought about adopting. A yam might be less life altering than a child. :laugh:
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member

It's a great thing to include in your regular diet. The benefit of helping keep cholesterol numbers normal, and reducing inflammation should be enough without even talking about the excellent taste it can give to your porridge, shakes, etc... .

May as well add turmeric to your daily diet as well in other foods.
  • psuLemon

It's a great thing to include in your regular diet. The benefit of helping keep cholesterol numbers normal, and reducing inflammation should be enough without even talking about the excellent taste it can give to your porridge, shakes, etc... .

At what dosages does it provide a benefit to cholesterol and reducing inflammation (and kind of more importantly, what is causing inflammation to begin with)?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

At what dosages does it provide a benefit to cholesterol and reducing inflammation (and kind of more importantly, what is causing inflammation to begin with)?

That was going to be my next question, i add maybe 1/4tsp to my oats and smoothies, but i doubt it's enough to see any health benefits??
  • psuLemon
    psulemon wrote: »

That was going to be my next question, i add maybe 1/4tsp to my oats and smoothies, but i doubt it's enough to see any health benefits??

That is what I am thinking.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    examine.com indicates 1-6g daily may help w/BS control.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Might want to rethink that. Tumeric needs to be taken in pretty high doses for any measurable effect. Since both cinnamon and tumeric contain coumarin - which is toxic to the liver in high doses - and the levels of coumarin in both are highly variable, it's not wise to combine the two spices in amounts greater than are found in normal diets without caution.
  • KetoneKaren
    Cassia cinnamon has coumarin, Ceylon variety doesn't.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Ceylon does contain coumarin, but in much smaller amounts - not enough to be a problem unless you're dancing on the edge anyway. Regardless, cinnamon is not usually the problem, it's taking tumeric in some of the recommended doses on the interwebs. Combine that with 'making sure to get enough cinnamon' and you make your chances of damaging yourself that much greater.
  • KetoneKaren
    stealthq wrote: »

Ceylon does contain coumarin, but in much smaller amounts - not enough to be a problem unless you're dancing on the edge anyway. Regardless, cinnamon is not usually the problem, it's taking tumeric in some of the recommended doses on the interwebs. Combine that with 'making sure to get enough cinnamon' and you make your chances of damaging yourself that much greater.

Yeah I should have been more specific. Ceylon has about 0.004% coumarin as opposed to Cassia up to 1% coumarin.