Six weeks into Dance lessons

Options
13»

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    I love it. First five weeks were some basic country dances - two-step and line dances. Last week we started swing. Holy cow that's a lot of foot action (for the pervs, not THAT kind :) ). I wonder who was the dude or chick that made that up back in the day. "Hey! Let's do this dance stuff, but the kicker is - you can NEVER stop moving your feet, even if you're doing stunts and *kitten*! woot!"

It's a work-out - although not intensive. The biggest aspect is my cute little dance instructor. I feel like a big goof next to her. She's a pro - and she definitely earns her money.

Anyone else new or just learning or want's to learn?

True story - a few weeks ago I was a little early and my instructor was teaching what looked like an 8 year old girl. They were doing ballet.

As she finished the mom walked in and told the girl "hey honey - I think it's this man's turn (gesturing at me). The little girl stopped and almost gasped...

"Uh...YOU are learning dance? What dance are YOU learning??" With the MOST-perfect "WTF" look on her face.

Being a 43 year old chubby guy learning Dance brings that reaction out in lots of people. :)

Anything that gets you moving is a good thing ..enjoy
  • jvtchong
    jvtchong Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Dance is awesome, and it's a nice workout both for your body and brain. Learning how to lead your partner can be challenging! I've been dancing since I was a kid and miss it if I can't fit it into my schedule. Went from all forms of ballet to ballroom and now am solely doing Latin (tends to be the only option in Latin countries, odd that!). This season I'm only doing salsa twice a week.
    Some of my best dance partners are beyond chubby and way older than 43, but can move like you wouldn't believe! Glad you're enjoying yourself. :smile:
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    thank you @jvtchong :D
  • jvtchong
    Options
    You're very welcome! @DetroitDarin. And no matter what anyone says there's nothing sexier than a man who knows how to move his body and lead his lady across the dance floor!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Blues dancing is fun too! I do swing and salsa with a friend. She's really into blues. I want to try it too. There is a blues and fusion group that a lot of my friends dance with.

blues is great for those late night I-can't-move-my-feet anymore moments. It's a great way of sharing a connection with someone that only lasts a song. I've had dances with people who try to make blues too technical and boy is that depressing!! Blues has SOUL, not technique!!

I have a beginner's Collegiate Shag class starting in a week or so and really looking forward to refining my knowledge (especially as have a 5 day workshop in Barcelona coming up - did I mention how dancing gets you the chance to travel the world????)

I'm a contemporary dancer and do dance theatre. But, I love all kinds of dancing. My friend really got me thinking the blues dancing and community is so fun. But, with your description and watching videos I think I still like the swing and salsa better. I do like to be more active during dancing. Partner dancing of all different varieties is definitely fun!
  • proud_boy_mom
    proud_boy_mom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I took dance lessons from preschool-9th grade then from 20-24 and then again a year ago. One that I've never done but would love to learn is Latin dancing. I LOVE the sensuality of it!
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I'm always excited to see men picking up dancing! It's a wonderful exercise (as you said not intense but still is) and a fantastic way to meet people and socialize. I've done ballroom and latin dancing for years and as someone who's done both private and group classes I 'd suggest you do a bit of both. Private classes are great for learning and improving your technique and group classes are so fun!
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I WISH I could/knew how to dance. I love it so much. I tried and failed a few dance classes when I was younger. Dancing is in my heart, but my body doesn't want to co-operate with my heart.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I WISH I could/knew how to dance. I love it so much. I tried and failed a few dance classes when I was younger. Dancing is in my heart, but my body doesn't want to co-operate with my heart.

I really recommend swing dance classes. I tried belly dance and hated it, the teacher was awful and even when I couldn't 'get' it just forced me to stand in the corner trying to practice something I didn't understand.

Swing is social and the general basics are easy enough. Having said that, I've been learning for a couple of years now and I'm a very slow learner so haven't progressed as much as I'd like. Sometimes that kills my self- confidence but i figure I can get away with just smiling madly so no one sees my rubbish footwork. Once you have the basic rhythm it's all go from there

Keep trying different styles. Swing is pretty improv, so once you know the basics it's about listening to your partner.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things I mean to do, but never actually carry it out. Think I need to surprise the wife with this.

Good on you brother!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This is one of those things I mean to do, but never actually carry it out. Think I need to surprise the wife with this.

Good on you brother!

That's great! I'm sure she will love it. I have been able to get my husband out social dancing and he is happy for me to choreograph something for us. But, haven't gotten him interested in lessons with me yet. He's busy with work. So, I am just happy he does go out dancing. I give him the choice because I like all the options.
  • azflamingo
    azflamingo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Husband and I took lesson through a Fred Astaire franchise. We had a lot of fun, learned so much. Then the hips and knees gave out. Now we rarely dance more than a couple songs when we go out. Plus, we've forgotten most of what we learned. It was a great motivator for me at a time I was seriously losing weight.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Dance?

.... Wrong Verb.
  • jvtchong
    Options
    I took dance lessons from preschool-9th grade then from 20-24 and then again a year ago. One that I've never done but would love to learn is Latin dancing. I LOVE the sensuality of it!

No time like the present! Sensuality does the body good....