Where is the younger generation? Looking for the younger member conversation (25-35ish years old!)

Options

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I'm 31 and live in New Mexico.

1) What motivates you to workout?
    Part of it is wanting to be stronger/have better endurance in general. Part of it is wanting to look better. My crazy dog and exercise-loving husband also motivate me.

2) Do you go with a partner?
    I walk/run/hike with the dog daily. Sometimes my husband and I go together. When I was going to gym, I went alone, but my husband and I are planning a home gym and will probably do at least some strength training together.

3) What is your favorite day of the week to workout?
    For some reason I'm usually in a great mood for exercise on Tuesdays.

4) Least favorite?
    Friday. It's the end of the work week, I'm tired my husband usually has the day off and is supposed to exercise the dog, and I just want to go out to dinner or be a couch potato.

5) Do you break down your workouts to body parts (IE Legs, Arms Back etc. )
    When I do strength training, yes.

6) Do you just stick to cardio?
    Lately cardio is pretty much all I have done with a little yoga and pilates mixed in when I'm not being too lazy.

7) Eat clean or IIFYM?
    Eat everything. Certain foods fuel me better before and during hikes, but otherwise I focus more on what fits within my calories while also keeping me feeling sufficiently full.

8) Do you take days off?
    I wish. Can someone please talk to dog about this? He adamantly refuses to comprehend the concept of a day off.

9) Do fasting?
    I would probably pass out from hunger. So, no.

10) How do you stay motivated when you really just want junk?
    Sometimes I remember my goal and how hard I have to work for it. Sometimes I make it fit. Sometimes I say screw it, indulge, and then work to recover the next day(s). Lately I have been struggling with this a lot more and maintaining rather than losing. I think I am finally getting back on track just the last two weeks.

11) Have you gotten to know people from the gym?
    No, but I'm getting to know quite a few people in my neighborhood from walking the dog every night.
  • ellie_RN
    ellie_RN Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 30 (really excited about turning the dirty 30 for some reason?) and I like to workout because of all the feels! I know will have horrible body image if I weigh more than I do. I like seeing progress, more endurance, toned legs, gaining muscle, gaining confidence, etc. that is what motivates me. I also have autoimmune arthritis and have noticed that when I consistently work out that I feel much less stiff (makes sense). I try to do cardio daily. When I lift weights I focus on my arms. Sometimes I will also do yoga. My least favorite days to workout are Saturday and Sunday. I do get cravings as we are all human ;) however I have noticed when I eat healthy and STICK to it I don't crave junk food or fast food. Sometimes I'll slip up (again, we're all human ;) ) and get Canes and I find the few days after I eat that that my body is craving junk again. No no no! I combat this by buying fresh produce, healthy proteins, sometimes healthy oils, and I drink a ton of water. If anyone wants to add me as a friend please feel free :-)
  • MaternalCopulator
    MaternalCopulator Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm 28, I'm sure we can talk about my member...
  • heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey hey I'm 26! :wink: my husband and I got a gym membership a couple months ago and our lives have changed! We are married for a little over a year and during that first year we both kind of let go and gained a bit of weight (common for a lot of newly married couples.) We also have family members who have been married for several years and the same has happened for them except on a much larger scale. For us it was only about 5-10 lbs but as soon as we started seeing double chins form we decided to do something about it LOL. So we go to this gym about 5 times a week and work our butts off and I also weigh myself every time I go. And that has helped a TON in motivating me because I'm actually seeing results! I've lost 8 lbs so far (I weigh 104 lbs now) and for the first time last weekend my MIL noticed my weight loss. It felt SO good. That's what keeps me going!

Getting a gym membership has been a huge lifestyle change for us (for the better) - we only ever go in the evenings when we're finished with work and it's a great way to wind down and end the day on a positive note. We usually do an hour of cardio then jump in the pool and hot tub to chat and talk about our life goals. Everything is working really well for me and hope I can keep it up!
  • fatgiraffe2
    fatgiraffe2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 :) working out with my partner was a nightmare! We'd both give each other a look at the gym that was like "I'm going to die, please tell me you want to leave aswell" and end up giving up haha. Now I workout at home because I still have gym anxiety, fortunately there's only room for one of us to workout in the living room so we just laugh at each other for how uncoordinated we are :D surprisingly laughing at how silly we look is quite motivating because at least you're laughing rather than withholding internal screaming :D yeah I'm not a fan of exercise haha!
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The 40+ club is where the cool kids are...
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    31year old here :) I couldn't think of anything worse than working out with my OH! Here's my weight loss story....I was always one of those annoying girls who could what the hell I wanted a stay a size 6 (uk size) but then I had babies and it got a little harder to live on burgers and cake and stay slim ;) Then I got promoted at work (woohoo) but it meant sitting all day rather than running around like I was used to. Long hours meant poor eating habits too. I woke up one day and hated what i saw in the mirror. Not just physically but, without getting too deep, I hated my life, who I was as a mother, friend, partner, everything! So I left my job and vowed to sort it out. Just so happened that a week later, a good friend of mine became a Powerwave personal trainer. I became one of her 1st clients 5 weeks on and I'm 12lbs lighter, much happier and healthier and I get to see my family and friends more :) my workouts are as mentioned Powerwave workouts and I swim twice a week. My favourite day to work out is a Monday...sets you up for the week. I don't think I have a least favourite day. Sometimes I don't resist the binges-I give in to them but only on workout days, I won't go over my calorie allowance and never more than once or twice a week. I find I can't binge like I used to anyway. I get full to quickly now :)
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I'm at the very edge of the "young crowd" at 35, if that counts.

What motivates you to work out? I don't want to end up in the hospital again due to my past bad health habits. That and a bad allergic reaction with a medication I was taking destroyed a lot of my muscle strength, so I work hard to regain the strength I had.
    Do you go with a partner? Nope. The only others here are my mother, father and roommate. Mom tends to sleep all day, dad is practically disabled and the roommate is always working.
    What is your favorite day of the week to workout? Surprisingly I like the first upper body day I do (Thursdays). Maybe it's because the upper body was the least affected due to that allergic reaction and strength in it is increasing rather quickly.
    Least favorite? The second leg day (Mondays), since it involves a lot of knee exercises. Those were the hardest hit, making it difficult to do any kind of weight training for them.
    Do you break down your workouts to body parts or just stick to cardio? A bit of both. I usually do some cardio before strength training to get the body warmed up and blood flowing, usually something related to the group I'm exercising that day.
    Eat clean or IIFYM? IIFYM. It's less restrictive, and in the end it doesn't matter what you eat as long as it fits your macros/calories.
    Do you take days off? Rest days are important for your body to completely recover. That day for me is Wednesdays.
    How do you stay motivated when you really just want junk? Since I follow a IIFYM plan, I don't really call anything I eat "junk". On the very rare occasion I binge on something extra, I usually do a course on my elliptical bike to burn off the extra calories. Also I feel a lot better than I did months ago, so I don't want to feel horrible again.
    Have you gotten to know people from the gym? I don't really go to a gym (even though there's one less than a mile from home, I can't really afford a membership). I do most of my exercises at home using resistance bands, a medicine ball and some deadweights.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I feel offended ...damn youngins lol
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm nearly 30 and that is just old enough to feel good about being the "younger generation", hahaha...

What motivates you to work out? Equal parts vanity and wanting to still be able to be physically active when I get old.
    Do you go with a partner? No, I just put in my headphones and get in and get out.
    What is your favorite day of the week to workout? I treasure my Saturday morning runs.
    Least favorite? I do not treasure my 5:30 AM Monday morning runs.
    Do you break down your workouts to body parts or just stick to cardio? I do two short strength sessions a week (upper body only) and run the rest of the time.
    Eat clean or IIFYM? Neither really, I just track a ballpark calorie total. I keep an eye on my protein but don't pay too much attention to my macros.
    Do you take days off? Yep, usually Fridays.
    How do you stay motivated when you really just want junk? I usually don't, but if I do I just eat it and make sure it fits in my day or week. Not a big deal.
    Have you gotten to know people from the gym? Definitely not. I go out of my way to avoid eye contact or conversation at the gym, it's my alone time and I like it that way. Ditto for runs, I am all headphones in and sunglasses on and total oblivion.

I love exercise now but I don't do it socially. However, I do hike and ski and I do both of those with people regularly (my husband and our friends both.)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thought I qualified, then realized I no longer do.
  • sadiepie05
    sadiepie05 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm Sadie. I'm almost 30 and live in oklahoma!

What motivates you to workout? I love the way it makes me feel! I workout 6 days a week for around 30 minutes, 3 days a week it's around an hour if you count my run.

Do you go with a partner? I workout from home. My husband is not interested in working out with me at all.

What is your favorite day of the week to workout? Monday. I always feel like I need it after my Sunday rest day.

Least favorite? Saturday! That's my run day right now. I just want to sleep in, but it's so hot I have to get up pretty early to get it in.

Do you break down your workouts to body parts (IE Legs, Arms Back etc. ) or do you just stick to cardio? Usually I do full body strength 3 days a week and 3 cardio days a week.

Eat clean or IIFYM? Mainly calorie counting while keeping a close eye on my macros.

Do you take days off? I don't take off calorie counting, but Sunday is my exercise rest day.

Do fasting? Not really, I'm not a breakfast eater so it's usually 10 am to noon before I eat anything.

How do you stay motivated when you really just want junk? Some days I give in to the junk. I'm human, it happens. If I let myself have some junk then I don't binge on it later.

Right now I'm trying to lose 30lbs that I haven't been able to get off after I had my daughter. I lost 30 after she was born, but have been yo-yoing the same 10lbs for 3 years. I just feel done doing that. I'm ready to get the rest of this weight off!
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hello! 26, I will be 27 at the end of the month! I'm obviously from Seattle, I'm a full time ER nurse and mother of 3.

My kids motivate me to work out. We go on family hiking trips a lot. I want t inspire them to lead healthy active lifestyles.

I workout both alone and with my husband. Sometimes my friends will go running with me. I'm the most active out of all my friends.

My favorite day of the week to workout is the weekends. The gym is gloriously empty. I greatly dislike Mondays. The gym is packed.

I do a minimum of 30 minutes of cardio a day either HIIT or steady state cardio. I also do a minimum of 30 minutes of Heavy weights. I train Booty and Legs 2-3 times a week. Back and Biceps and Shoulders and Triceps are trained at least once a week.

I follow IIFYM and intuitive eating. If I'm hungry I'll eat more. I stay between 1800-2100 calories a day. I eat 35% Protein and Carbs and 30% Fats.

I work out 7 days a week. Either gym, hiking, outdoor run or home workout video. I generally don't take a rest day. I listen to my body, if I need one I will take one.

Something is different this time with my weight loss. I'm doing IIFYM for the first
    Time and it just "clicked." I still indulge in "bad" foods and adjust my other meals that day to hit my macros. I have found that finding healthy alternatives helps, I'm a huge fan of Halo Top ice cream.

I'm competitive and driven by goals. I booked a vacation to the Caribbean next June and I'm determined to get to my goal before then.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    I feel offended ...damn youngins lol

Don't feel too bad, word has it her husband is a bit too old to comment in this thread too :smile:
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    lol
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the day y'all realise that 25-35 is simply not the younger generation

:bigsmile:
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I am 33, just looking to see some conversation from people around my age. (The fun crowd LOL) What motivates you to workout? Do you go with a partner? What is your favorite day of the week to workout? Least favorite? Do you break down your workouts to body parts (IE Legs, Arms Back etc. ) or do you just stick to cardio? Eat clean or IIFYM? Do you take days off? Do fasting? How do you stay motivated when you really just want junk? Have you gotten to know people from the gym? Talk to me people! :smiley:

i'm 27 going on 28. i'm in the gym 5-6 days/week lifting heavy by body part, plus HIIT/SS cardio depending on the day. i also do Orange Theory once a week to switch things up. i follow IIFYM and work with a coach for my nutrition. the gym is my happy place :)
  • chemtrailz
    chemtrailz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i am 32 and for some reason i love Thursdays , i seem to always have the most energy and feel great on that day
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    [*] [*] What motivates you to workout?

I'm 27, and I don't believe in motivation. I believe in making a decision and keeping to it, no matter what. If I waited to be "motivated" to work out I'd never do it and eat pie forever (at least until the diabetes hits)... I have noticed that as exercise has become a habit, I get crabby if I skip a workout.

[*] [*] Do you go with a partner?

Nope. I do work out in a group setting 2 time a week at my karate dojo, but I'm totally alone in this.

[*] [*] What is your favorite day of the week to workout? Least favorite?

Every day is a workout day. (Yes, even Christmas. *Especially* Christmas.) I don't take rest days, just high-impact and low-impact days. The week before menses causes my hormone levels to drop like a stone, making my muscles more vulnerable to injury, so I book a full-body massage and focus on low-impact work (walking, not running, and no jumping-in kicks) during that week.

[*] [*] Do you break down your workouts to body parts (IE Legs, Arms Back etc. ) or do you just stick to cardio?

A typical day looks like this: (1) Hacker Diet (in the morning), which is 15 minutes of mixed strength and cardio that you can scale to suit your own physical abilities. It's my mandatory, must-do workout, even if I'm sick. (2) 2-3 mile walk at lunch, usually with my mother if she can get free; we work in the same office complex. (3) (3 times a week) One 3-5 mile run after work. (4) (2 times a week) Karate practice. I don't always do all of these, but when I do it's easy to break 25k steps, or beyond.

[*] [*] Eat clean or IIFYM?

IIFYM, with a focus on protein because I'm pescatarian and trying to build muscle without much help from meat.

[*] [*] Do you take days off?

Unless I'm actually injured, no.

[*] [*] Do fasting?

I am non-diabetic reactive hypoglycemic. If I don't eat every 2-3 hours, I'll start shaking. It's a problem. I'm dealing with it.

[*] [*] How do you stay motivated when you really just want junk?

Junk is okay sometimes. Do not knock the junk. The junk is tasty. Just work it in, log it and move on.

[*] [*] Have you gotten to know people from the gym?

I know a few from my karate dojo, but I'm a total introvert and feel limited need for companionship. :)
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I’m 36. I workout at home 5-6 days a week, by myself. I do a 3 day split, twice a week. I stick mostly to lifting but occasionally add in cardio. Almost exclusively motivated by caffeine, lol. Absolutely LOVE IIFYM/flexible dieting. IIFYM lets me incorporate a treat every day, which helps me stay on track.